Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries? Post 302257865 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 13th of November 2008 08:30:16 AM
Old 11-13-2008
You are asking the chicken & egg question - which comes first?
You can write a binary executable directly in hex, so very early assemblers (which are compilers) were written that way. There also were link editors as well. ld for example.

I like Corona's explanation. I think at one time I read that as well.

Most compilers are based on lex & yacc. Read about those.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Programming

C compiler to build Sparc/Solaris binaries on Linux

Just that the Subject says. I am looking for a C compiler for Linux x86 that will allow me to compile a C source code file and the resulting binary will be able to run on a Sparc running Solaris. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
2 Replies
YACC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   YACC(1)

NAME
yacc - yet another compiler-compiler SYNOPSIS
yacc [ -vd ] grammar DESCRIPTION
Yacc converts a context-free grammar into a set of tables for a simple automaton which executes an LR(1) parsing algorithm. The grammar may be ambiguous; specified precedence rules are used to break ambiguities. The output file, y.tab.c, must be compiled by the C compiler to produce a program yyparse. This program must be loaded with the lexical analyzer program, yylex, as well as main and yyerror, an error handling routine. These routines must be supplied by the user; Lex(1) is useful for creating lexical analyzers usable by yacc. If the -v flag is given, the file y.output is prepared, which contains a description of the parsing tables and a report on conflicts gener- ated by ambiguities in the grammar. If the -d flag is used, the file y.tab.h is generated with the define statements that associate the yacc-assigned `token codes' with the user-declared `token names'. This allows source files other than y.tab.c to access the token codes. FILES
y.output y.tab.c y.tab.h defines for token names yacc.tmp, yacc.acts temporary files /usr/share/misc/yaccparparser prototype for C programs SEE ALSO
lex(1) LR Parsing by A. V. Aho and S. C. Johnson, Computing Surveys, June, 1974. YACC - Yet Another Compiler Compiler by S. C. Johnson. DIAGNOSTICS
The number of reduce-reduce and shift-reduce conflicts is reported on the standard output; a more detailed report is found in the y.output file. Similarly, if some rules are not reachable from the start symbol, this is also reported. BUGS
Because file names are fixed, at most one yacc process can be active in a given directory at a time. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 YACC(1)