Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fd.file-max against inode
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu fd.file-max against inode Post 302257759 by demwz on Thursday 13th of November 2008 03:18:57 AM
Old 11-13-2008
depends on your filesystem
U can use mkfs.ext3's -N Parameter to set the number of inodes. But i dont think there is a way to do it on the fly.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file access inode update

When is a file "accessed" according to UNIX? For example: gzipping a file will not change the access time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file specific place in file using inode

Hello, I am using tcsh on AIX. I would like to write a script that does the following: 1. given an inode, how do I find exactly the name of the file? I know I could do this using ls -i | grep <inode> but it returns: <inode> <filename>. I need some string manipulation or something to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file without changing inode number

Hi all, I am struggling to change the content of a file without changing the inode number. The exact issue is as below. I have a file name test.bak which has 100 lines of text. I am trying to to delete the first 90 lines of the text in the file. I know that using sed/awk/head/tail I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathishkmrv
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a file when the inode modified time of the other file changes

i have a requirement where i needed to change variable values in a properties file(first file) whenever there is change to Release details file(second file). My question is do i have to create a daemon process that always checks the modified time/inode change of the second file and then change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file abc.log in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file get changes every time i update the file using vi editor. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never gets changed? Or if we cannot restrict from inode number getting changed , is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove file/inode entry

Hello all, I am on hpux itanium 11.31...and we run a oracle DB on it. I am testing some backup and restore situation.... first i select some data from the DB.....now i remove some files from the DB where my data is being selected from.....now i select the same data from the DB but i still get... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Specify the inode of a file?

Is there any way to create a file on Solaris 10 (ZFS preferably, but UFS would be helpful as well) with a specific inode number? I need to create a file with a large inode, greater than a 32bit integer. I am trying to test a piece of software which may be incorrectly truncating large inodes down... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: unblockable
16 Replies

8. Linux

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file a.txt in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file changes every time i update the file using vi editor , gedit etc. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never changes as that is supposed to be the expected behavior? Or if we cannot... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: srirammanohar
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you find max filesize with inode information ?

How do you find the maximum file size with the following information -: A unix filesystem has 1024 bytes block size with 32-bit address. The i-node has 12 direct and 1 indirect, 1 double indirect, and 1 triple indirect addresses. What is the maximum file size it can access ? What is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
1 Replies
MKFS.BFS(8)						       System Administration						       MKFS.BFS(8)

NAME
mkfs.bfs - make an SCO bfs filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.bfs [options] device [block-count] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.bfs creates an SCO bfs filesystem on a block device (usually a disk partition or a file accessed via the loop device). The block-count parameter is the desired size of the filesystem, in blocks. If nothing is specified, the entire partition will be used. OPTIONS
-N, --inodes number Specify the desired number of inodes (at most 512). If nothing is specified, some default number in the range 48-512 is picked depending on the size of the partition. -V, --vname label Specify the volume label. I have no idea if/where this is used. -F, --fname name Specify the filesystem name. I have no idea if/where this is used. -v, --verbose Explain what is being done. -c This option is silently ignored. -l This option is silently ignored. -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Output version information and exit. Option -V only works as --version when it is the only option. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.bfs is 0 when all went well, and 1 when something went wrong. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8). AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.bfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2011 MKFS.BFS(8)