Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing Password in NIS
Operating Systems Solaris Changing Password in NIS Post 302257439 by jlliagre on Wednesday 12th of November 2008 07:33:03 AM
Old 11-12-2008
You can't change a user's password if the NIS master is off. The slave servers are read-only caches to speed-up name resolution. AFAIK, there can only be a single repository with NIS. You can use ldap as name service back-end to allow write availability.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Changing With NIS

SCO OpenServer 5.05 Has anyone ever received this error when attempting to change/assign a user password? #ypasswd ======================================= yppasswd: (host name) is not running yppasswd daemon Password request denied. Reason: Remote password change request denied.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem in changing password in NIS

Hi, I need help urgently. I've been running NIS for 4 years without problem. And just two weeks ago, all my users are unable to change their password which never happens before. When we issue passwd or yppasswd, this is what we get passwd : Changing password for Jennifer Enter existing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer
2 Replies

3. Solaris

problem in changing the NIS passwd

Now I face a problem in changing the NIS passwd,I have no idea,want you to help me! Today I add some user in the NIS master server ,I "vi" /etc/passwd &/etc/shadow,add user account and password by hand(shadow----no password ,only eight ":"). when finsh,I login ,system told me to input a password... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlsjm
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

is there anyway of implementing password aging in NIS?

Hi , is there anyway of implementing password aging in NIS? I would say thanks in advance. Thanks and regards, HAA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HAA
1 Replies

5. Solaris

NIS password file update issue

Hi Our nis server running on Sun solaris 8 operating system. I have added a new user in the nis passwd file & when I am trying to update the file from nis server by using following command: # cd /var/yp # make updated passwd It updates the passwd file but does not come back to command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dolphin
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Password Ageing NIS

I have a RHEL 5 NIS server. It seems to be working fine except for password ageing. If passwords expire in the shadow file then users are still able to log on with no problems and no notifications. Does anyone know how to turn password ageing on through NIS? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darren.wyatt
4 Replies

7. Solaris

NIS Password

Greetings All, I am newbie to Unix. Have the following issue: Users are unable to change their password themselves. After they ash to a specific box (NIS Account is extended to that box)and then su as them with an assigned password and run command to change the password they get this error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cardiner
2 Replies

8. Solaris

NIS - Change Password @ first login.

Hi Any body knows how to prompt user to change password on first login in a Solaris NIS client. Thanks HG (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

NIS password policy

Hi, I am running NIS server on redhat linux 5 and I want to implement password restrictions for the yppasswd, how can I do it.Please help me. I can implement password restriction for passwd by configuring /etc/pam.d/system-auth and setting crack_lib.so but I don't know how to implent the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing Passwd on Many servers that is not NIS

Hi Expert, I have environment where password is locally managed, not NIS, not LDAP, not Centrally managed. In order to access to this environment I have to use Jump Box, and only from jumpbox I can login to every host. I can't login direct from inside one host within that environment to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regmaster
1 Replies
nis_intro(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      nis_intro(7)

NAME
nis_intro - Network Information Service (NIS) introductory information DESCRIPTION
The Network Information Service (NIS) is a distributed name service that allows participating hosts to share access to a common set of sys- tem and network files. NIS allows the system administrator to manage these shared files on a single system. NIS is intended for use in a secure environment only, where gateways do not allow outside Internet access to the NIS protocol. NIS Maps Information distributed by NIS is stored in database files called maps. Most of the NIS maps represent files that were traditionally stored in the /etc directory. These files include the following: aliases group hosts netgroups networks passwd protocols rpc services In a secure environment, you can run NIS in a secure mode, thereby creating secure and nonsecure versions of the NIS maps. See the Secu- rity guide for more information. You can also use NIS to distribute files used by Automount or AutoFS, or to distribute other user-defined files. Each NIS map contains a set of keys and associated values. For example, as keys, the hosts map contains all host names on a network, and as values, the corresponding Internet addresses. Each NIS map has a map name, used by programs to access data in the map. NIS Domains A named set of NIS maps is called a domain. A system's "domain name" or "NIS domain" corresponds to the set of NIS maps that the system can access. You can think of an NIS domain as a set of systems that share the same set of NIS maps. A system's domain name is set at the time the system is booted by the /sbin/init.d/nis script using an entry in the /etc/rc.config.common file. System administrators can use the nissetup script to place entries in this file. The nissetup script is described in the Network Administration manual. You can determine your system's NIS domain using the domainname command. Refer to domainname(1). A domain name is required for retrieving data from an NIS database. NIS Client-Server Model NIS follows the client-server model of distributed services. There are two types of NIS servers - master and slave. The master server stores the master copy of the NIS maps for its domain; these are the only NIS maps that can be modified. Each domain has only one master server. Slave servers store copies of the master server's NIS maps. NIS slave servers can be spread throughout a network. Whenever an NIS map is updated on the master server, the master propagates the changes to each slave server in its domain. If the master is unavailable for any reason, the slave servers continue to make the NIS maps available to the NIS clients. Clients are all of the systems that can access NIS maps. When a client requires NIS information, it makes a remote procedure call (RPC) to one of the NIS servers to obtain the information. NIS Data Storage The data in NIS maps is stored as databases in dbm/ndbm, btree, or hash format. For example, the NIS map for the /etc/hosts file in the domain market might be stored in these dbm/ndbm files: /var/yp/mar- ket/hosts.byaddr.dir /var/yp/market/hosts.byaddr.pag /var/yp/market/hosts.byname.dir /var/yp/market/hosts.byname.pag The makedbm command takes an ASCII file such as /etc/hosts and converts it into dbm/ndbm files suitable for use by NIS. However, system administrators use the Makefile script in the /var/yp directory to create NIS map files and specify file format. The Makefile script then calls makedbm. Refer to the Network Administration manual for details on the Makefile script, specifying different formats, and other NIS management information. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: domainname(1), svcsetup(8), ypbind(8), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: svc.conf(4) Network Administration delim off nis_intro(7)