Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: High Performance Computing
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing High Performance Computing Post 302257411 by humbletech99 on Wednesday 12th of November 2008 05:09:32 AM
Old 11-12-2008
1. CPU intensive computation of a single task
2. Parallel computation of a task broken down into pieces
3. Storage across many commodity nodes with scalability and i/o performance
4. The solutions do not need to be geographically dispersed, same server room is fine.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Performance Problem - High CPU utilization

Hello everybody. I have a problem with my AIX 5.3. Recently my unix shows a high cpu utilization with sar or topas. I need to find what I have to do to solve this problem, in fact, I don't know what is my problem. I had the same problem with another AIX 5.3 running the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilder.mellotto
2 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

IBM Scheduler for High Throughput Computing on IBM Blue Gene P

A lightweight scheduler that supports high-throughput computing (HTC) applications on Blue Gene/P. (NEW: 06/12/2008 in grid) More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

What does high performance computing mean?

Sorry, I am not really from a computer science background. But from the subject of it, does it mean something like multi processor programming? distributed computing? like using erlang? Sound like it, which excite me. I just had a 3 day crash course in erlang and "Cocurrency oriented programming"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
7 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

High performance Linkpack

hello everyone , Im new to HPL. i wanted to know whether High performance linpack solves linear system of equations for single precision airthmatic on LINUX. it works for double precision , so is there any HPL version which is for single precision.\ thanks . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_viz
0 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Performance investigation, very high runq-sz %runocc

I've just been handed a hot potato from a colleague who left :(... our client has been complaining about slow performance on one of our servers. I'm not very experienced in investigating performance issues so I hoping someone will be so kind to provide some guidance Here is an overview of the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
8 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

High Performance Linpack Compiling Issue

I'm trying to compile Linpack on a Ubuntu cluster. I'm running MPI. I've modified the following values to fit my system TOPdir MPdir LAlib CC LINKER. When compiling I get the following error: (the error is at the end, the other errors in between are because I've ran the script several times so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPJPJPJP
0 Replies
ADVISE(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						      ADVISE(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_advise() - Controls use of direct task-to-task routing. [In Version 3.2: Replaced by pvm_setopt] SYNOPSIS
C int info = pvm_advise( int route ) Fortran call pvmfadvise( route, info ) PARAMETERS
route Integer advising PVM to set up direct task-to-task links. route options PvmDontRoute 1 Don't allow direct links to this task PvmAllowDirect 2 Allow but don't request direct links PvmRouteDirect 3 Request direct links info Integer returning error status. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_advise advises PVM on whether or not to set up direct task-to-task links (using TCP) for all subsequent communication. Once a link is established it remains until the application finishes. If a direct link can not be established because one of the two tasks has requested PvmDontRoute or because no resources are available, then the default route through the PVM daemons is used. pvm_advise can be called multiple times to selectively establish direct links, but is typically set only once near the beginning of each task. PvmAllowDi- rect is the default advise setting. This setting on task A allows other tasks to set up direct links to A. Once a direct link is estab- lished between tasks both tasks will use it for sending messages. pvm_advise returns the error status in info. The performance of direct task-to-task links can be up to a factor of two better than the default route. The draw back is a lack of scalability of the direct links. Some versions of UNIX limit the number of links to no more than 30. EXAMPLES
C: info = pvm_advise( PvmRouteDirect ); Fortran: CALL PVMFADVISE( PVMROUTEDIRECT, INFO ) ERRORS
This error condition can be returned by pvm_advise PvmBadParam giving an invalid route value. SEE ALSO
pvm_setopt(3PVM) 30 August, 1993 ADVISE(3PVM)