Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: getopts problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users getopts problem Post 302257401 by mobydick on Wednesday 12th of November 2008 04:34:12 AM
Old 11-12-2008
getopts issue

in the below script i am expecting the variable surname to be changed but that is not happening can anyone help and explain why and how to do that

surname=halder

echo $surname

while getopts "Smilie" OPTION
do
case $OPTION in

b) surname=bose
;;

esac
done

echo $surname

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts

I have a script that facillitates NDM (Connect::\Direct) transfer to remote hosts. This script uses getopts to parse through the parameters passed to it and to set appropriate variables based upon what was passed in. Kickoff="mv $PATH/$FILE1 $PATH/$FILE2" ndm_shell.ksh -p $Node -s $Source -d... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with getopts

I need to parse parameters but the arguments could be NULL,example: > cat getopts.sh while getopts "a:b:" opt 2>/dev/null do case "${opt}" in a) echo "A:${OPTARG}" ;; b) echo "B:${OPTARG}" ;; *) exit 1 ;; esac done > getopts.sh -a TEST1 -b TEST2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts help

Hi i have part of the scripts below ,getopt for -h or ? not working for me. can anybody tell me if this sytax right or wrong. #!/usr/bin/ksh program=$(basename $0) ##################################################################################### function usageerr { RC=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in getopts

while getopts l:f:s:o:h: c do case $c in l) tail -${OPTARG} /etc/passwd exit 2;; f) head -${OPTARG} /etc/passwd exit 3;; s) grep ${OPTARG} /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f7 exit 4;; o) OARG=$OPTARG exit 5;; h) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadman123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with getopts

Hi, I am a new member to unix.com. Actually I am facing a problem with getopts. In my script i have used getopts to parse the parameters. when i use the script as shown below its working fine: find_status -p all ### where find_status is a script name. But even if I pass more than one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvamsikr
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts problem

How do I get the getopts command to display whats written at my help option if no option is types in? For example, myscript.sh -h will bring up my help option, however, I also want myscript.sh to do the same! #!/bin/bash while getopts :abh opt do case "$opt" in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts problem

Hi everyone I want to know how can we pass multiple argument in getopts suppose PARAMS="abcd" while getopts ${PARMS} FLAG do case ${FLAG} in (a) (b) (c) (d) esac (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts - optional and problem to display help

In the below code while getopts :rfw:d:s:a: options do case "$options" in r) echo reverse;; f) echo forward;; w) window=$OPTARG;; d) duration=$OPTARG;; s) search=$OPTARG;; a) value=$OPTARG;; *) help; exit;; esac done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with getopts

Hi, I have written a script to take command line arguments using geopts.This is the code. #!/bin/sh # The usage of this script. usage="Usage is $0" usage="$usage " usage="$usage " usage="$usage " # Use the getopt utility to set up the command line flags. set -- `/usr/bin/getopt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify problem with while getopts

can anyone spot a problem with the below: $ $ cat getopts.sh #!/bin/sh usage() { echo "myscript.sh local /tmp data.txt 600s -query" 1>&2; exit 1; } while... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
Gedcom::Individual(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Gedcom::Individual(3pm)

NAME
Gedcom::Individual - a module to manipulate Gedcom individuals Version 1.16 - 24th April 2009 SYNOPSIS
use Gedcom::Individual; my $name = $i->name; my @rel = $i->father; my @rel = $i->mother; my @rel = $i->parents; my @rel = $i->husband; my @rel = $i->wife; my @rel = $i->spouse; my @rel = $i->siblings; my @rel = $i->brothers; my @rel = $i->sisters; my @rel = $i->children; my @rel = $i->sons; my @rel = $i->daughters; my @rel = $i->descendents; my @rel = $i->ancestors; my $ok = $i->delete; my @fam = $i->famc; my @fam = $i->fams; DESCRIPTION
A selection of subroutines to handle individuals in a gedcom file. Derived from Gedcom::Record. HASH MEMBERS
None. METHODS
name my $name = $i->name; Return the name of the individual, with spaces normalised. cased_name my $cased_name = $i->cased_name; Return the name of the individual, with spaces normalised, and surname in upper case. surname my $surname = $i->surname; Return the surname of the individual. given_names my $given_names = $i->given_names; Return the given names of the individual, with spaces normalised. soundex my $soundex = $i->soundex; Return the soundex code of the individual. This function is only available if Text::Soundex.pm is available. sex my $sex = $i->sex; Return the sex of the individual, "M", "F" or "U". Individual functions my @rel = $i->father; my @rel = $i->mother; my @rel = $i->parents; my @rel = $i->husband; my @rel = $i->wife; my @rel = $i->spouse; my @rel = $i->siblings; my @rel = $i->older_siblings; my @rel = $i->younger_siblings; my @rel = $i->brothers; my @rel = $i->sisters; my @rel = $i->children; my @rel = $i->sons; my @rel = $i->daughters; my @rel = $i->descendents; my @rel = $i->ancestors; Return a list of individuals related to $i. Each function, even those with a singular name such as father(), returns a list of individuals holding that relation to $i. More complex relationships can easily be found using the map function. eg: my @grandparents = map { $_->parents } $i->parents; delete my $ok = $i->delete; Delete $i from the data structure. This function will also set $i to undef. This is to remind you that the individual cannot be used again. Returns true iff $i was successfully deleted. Family functions my @fam = $i->famc; my @fam = $i->fams; Return a list of families to which $i belongs. famc() returns those families in which $i is a child. fams() returns those families in which $i is a spouse. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-12 Gedcom::Individual(3pm)