Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I write multiple variable syntax? Post 302257202 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 11th of November 2008 03:46:38 PM
Old 11-11-2008
IF you always want a linear query use the between operator
where a between b and c
Code:
select stuf from mytable where cnt between 2 and 7;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax to export any variable

How to export variables on a UNIX prompt. Please provide me syntax. Thanks in advance. Malay (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple cuts syntax problem

Hi All, I need some help with multiple cut and paste, at the moment I have a shell script that uses the following cuts ( this is just some) cut -c1-92 WAITING > col1 .....etc etc etc cut -c93-98 WAITING > col17 # blank_spaces cut -c99-104 WAITING > col18 # Date cut -c105... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable (need syntax help)

I need some syntax help (working in a bash shell) I have a variable which is a filename with an extension, and I need to create another variable with the same name but a different extension To explain, the input file should be called something like "filename.L1" and the output file should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

4. Solaris

C-shell: variable syntax question

There is a possibility to set a variable, having an another variable in it's name: prompt% setenv PRT one prompt% setenv VAR_${PRT} value prompt% So, this way the VAR_one = "value" and could be viewed: prompt% echo VAR_one value prompt% Q: How to view a variable having another... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable syntax and lines of code

I am trying to use use the AWK and EGREP commands together in an AWK script. My overall objective is to count lines of code but exclude comments and blank lines and such. I am able to use AWK with the FIND command like so: | awk '{print \"wc -l \"$1}' > lineCount.sh Now when I modify the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
7 Replies

6. IP Networking

write() / read() syntax

hi am newbie to unix and socket programing I am trying to figuring out syntax for read and write to send data from server to client and client can read it I have to send two integers write(newsockfd,buffer,"%d %d",x,y,0) writing from client where x and y are two integers.. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik1238
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Psed syntax -- specifically the write option

EDIT: Nevermind. I found a forth kludge to get around the psed requirement! Short version: I'm trying to use the "w" flag with psed to write all substituted lines into another file. No matter how many times I read the man pages or search with Google, I can't seem to find the proper syntax... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CluelessPerson
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk if-else syntax with multiple columns

I can't seem to get this to work. I can reformat the date field if it's the first field (and only field) in the file: However, I get a syntax error when the date field is the second field (or has any other columns following): I can use a ";" but then it puts each column on separate... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable syntax error in $?

hi all , i just tried to take the status of previous command inside the script using echo $?. It throws me a variable syntax error , but when i use echo $? as an individual command it works perfectly . can anyone Please tell me why am getting a variable syntax error when i use echo $?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul619
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to write write multiple cronjobs in shellscript??

Hi All, I need the answer of below question? 1) How to write multiple cronjobs in shellscript? Is there any way or we cant write in shellscript... Regards, Priyanka (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
2 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string 'script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form '@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with '-' and are described below. You can use '--' to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a ';' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with '=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line (but in this case you have to be careful with quotes if the prompt string contains a space; otherwise you may confuse the shell.) The default prompts are "> " and ">> ". OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l name call require('name') before executing script. Typically used to load libraries. -v show version information. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes $Date: 2010/10/31 11:16:49 $ LUA(1)