Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Navigation of Fedora Core 6
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Navigation of Fedora Core 6 Post 302257180 by mark54g on Tuesday 11th of November 2008 02:54:04 PM
Old 11-11-2008
While there may be GUIS for the things you are requesting, please don't take this the wrong way, you are going about this wrong.

You may want "Windows, but free". This is not Windows. Your time is also not free.

If you want to do this, a better way would be to not look for an analog of the tool you used, but to figure out what tasks you wish to accomplish, and then find the tools to do that.

Hard drive names are not really important in *NIX. On Linux, the names are usually something like:

sda or hda then sdb, or hdb, depending on the type of system. sda is for serial/scsi devices and hda is for old parallel ATA

However, in most cases you will be abstracting those to mount points or to logical volume groups.

Also, depending on the Linux distribution, the tools are slightly different.

vmstat will give you some information on memory, but the best tools I have found exist on SUSE systems where you can use hwinfo.

the "free" command will also give you info on memory, utilization of it, as well as swap.

For a process list, ps aux or ps -ef will give you a list, however not like on windows.

pstree will show you how they are connected to each other as parent/children.

Basically, the things you are looking for don't really exist in the same analogs on Linux or UNIX.

As such, any mishmash to make it appear to be as such will not translate well from distribution of OS to the next.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Fedora Core 2 Snapshot

These are not my desktop (I am still using FC1), they are from Internet forum. http://gator.dt.uh.edu/~yangm001/snapshot1.jpg http://gator.dt.uh.edu/~yangm001/snapshot2.jpg (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
0 Replies

2. Linux

Migrate from RH 8.0 to Fedora Core 2

I have done some research on the Fedora Project and trying to find clear cut answer on how to migrate from current OS - RH 8.0 Pro to Fedora Core 2. Can anybody help me with this and does Fedora Core 2 include OpenOffice and Ximian Evolution like with my RH 8.0 Pro. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark McWilliams
3 Replies

3. Linux

Using Fedora Core 2

I've been using FC2, but my sound card doesn't work I'm new with linux systems.. but there says that needs to recompile kernel how can i do it with a kernel 2.6.5 i386 ? by the way,. my sound card chipset is an ESS 1869F, with a compaq deskpro Smal Form Factor. but i have not found a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quake
4 Replies

4. Linux

being probed Fedora core 2

Lucky me...someone's trying to hack into my mythtv box through ssh. Can I make a policy or something similar to refuse connections from a specific IP after a certain amount of failed logins? attached is some of the output from /var/log/messages (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

5. Linux

Trying to install Fedora Core 3...

Hiya all, Hope you can help. I keep getting the same Error message when I try to install. I have tried several different Diskettes. And I finally ordered CDs from "FASTDISCs". The install "disc Checks" passed fine on these. The error: "The package usbitils-0.11.6.1 cannot be opened. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Fedora Core 4

Hello, I am about to install Fedora on a partition on my hard drive. I got the CD from a magazine and it isnt a LiveCD so the magazine says "fedora core installer isn't a LiveCD, so it will merrily destroy your primary partition when you install on your machine", now I'm guessing the primary... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ArkNia
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help installing fedora core 5

Hello I'm trying to install fedora core 5 and I'm currently at this screen here: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/figs/installingpackages.png However, the bottom bar is completely gray and there's nothing telling me the "status" of the install. I also told it to format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: obeseogre
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fedora core mailrelay

how do i change the mailrelay settings smtp for fedora core 4 to a new IP ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dannyd
1 Replies

9. Linux

fedora core 6 problem

hi all i am currently using fedora core 3 . i downloaded the iso image of fedora core 6 but after installing the fedora core 6 . while starting linux it gives a error saying init is been killed . wht is happened? thank u (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nageshrk
3 Replies

10. Linux

mysql in fedora core 4

hi i dont know much about linux but my boss gave me a job to backup all the mysql database and tables from fedora core4 running as web/database server. i can enter in fedora using remote desktop from my laptop but after that i am unable to do anything. if any one can help me in finding mysql and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: obstinate
3 Replies
PKGENPACK(1)							  [FIXME: manual]						      PKGENPACK(1)

NAME
pkgenpack - PackageKit Pack Generator SYNOPSIS
pkgenpack [--help] [--verbose] [--with-package-list] [--output] [--package] [--updates] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pkgenpack command. pkgenpack is the command line client for PackageKit for creating service packs. WHAT IS A SERVICE PACK
? A service pack is a tarball which contains a set of packages and their dependencies. The user can reduce the dependencies to be packed using the --with-package-list option. Along with the dependencies, a service pack has a file named metadata.conf which contains the information about the distribution and creation date of the pack. CREATING A SERVICE PACK
? A service pack is created using the command pkgenpack. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --help Show summary of options. --verbose Show extra debugging information. --with-package-list Set the filename of dependencies to be excluded. Generally, the file list of packages is generated when doing a PackageKit refresh on the target system. If not specified, pkgenpack uses /var/lib/PackageKit/system.package-list by default. --output The directory to put the pack file, or the current directory if omitted. --package The package to be put into the ServicePack. --update Put all updates available in the ServicePack. NAMING A SERVICE PACK
The only valid extension for a service pack is ".servicepack". EXAMPLES
1. Tim is facing problems with his Internet connection at home. He needs a service pack with valgrind and it's dependencies for his system. He asks James to generate a pack for him. Both know James's system should contain similar packages as Tim's system, as both of them have installed Fedora 9 two days ago. James simply runs: [james@jamesbook:~]$ pkgenpack --output=/media/USB/TimPacks --package=valgrind This generates a file /media/USB/TimPacks/valgrind-fedora-9-i686.servicepack on the USB key Tim gave to James. Tim can now go home, insert the USB key and double clicks on the valgrind-fedora-9-i686.servicepack file to be prompted to install these packages. 2. Bill wants to create a service pack named kdegames-fedora-9-i686.servicepack for his new system which does not have an internet connection. He generates a list of packages on his system using pkcon list-create and copies that list to his USB key. He then gives that USB to Rishi who has a good internet connectivity. Rishi runs the following command on his system: [rishi@devils-temple:~]$ pkgenpack --with-package-list=/media/USB/bill.package-list --output=/home/rishi/Desktop --program=kdegames This generates a service pack, kdegames-fedora-9-i686.servicepack, on Rishi's Desktop, which can be distributed to Bill and users with similar requirements. INSTALLING A SERVICE PACK
Service Packs can be installed using pkcon. For example: [hacker@tim-lounge:~]$ pkcon install /media/USB/TimPacks/valgrind-fedora-9-i686.servicepack SEE ALSO
pkmon (1). pkcon(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Shishir Goel crazyontheedge@gmail.com and Richard Hughes richard@hughsie.com. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 Shishir Goel [FIXME: source] 31 July,2008 PKGENPACK(1)