Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep with case or if else help Post 302257033 by kchandooo on Tuesday 11th of November 2008 08:03:09 AM
Old 11-11-2008
so how do i capture which words are found and which are not into files ..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

penalty for case insensitive grep

I just found out there were a big performance penalty for case insensitive "grep" on big files. It would be understandable, except that the penalty seems to be exaggerated out of proportion. A real example, if I only grep a single letter "V" (or "v") , without "-i", on a big file, (file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: Send a mail in case grep finds something

I want to search a file if it contains special strings and if yes, the records found should be mailed. I can either do it with a temporary file: /usr/bin/grep somestring somefile > /tmp/tempfile && /usr/bin/mail -s "Found something" email@mycomp.com < /tmp/tempfile... or by running the grep... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using case instead of grep

im using a case statement to search for a pattern in a variable, like this: case "${VARIABLE}" in * unix is great *) echo Found it! ;; esac However, what happens if I want to make sure some other string DOES NOT exist on the same line that "unix is great" is on?? with egrep, i can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
Tie::Hash::NamedCapture(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			      Tie::Hash::NamedCapture(3pm)

NAME
Tie::Hash::NamedCapture - Named regexp capture buffers SYNOPSIS
tie my %hash, "Tie::Hash::NamedCapture"; # %hash now behaves like %+ tie my %hash, "Tie::Hash::NamedCapture", all => 1; # %hash now access buffers from regexp in $qr like %- DESCRIPTION
This module is used to implement the special hashes "%+" and "%-", but it can be used to tie other variables as you choose. When the "all" parameter is provided, then the tied hash elements will be array refs listing the contents of each capture buffer whose name is the same as the associated hash key. If none of these buffers were involved in the match, the contents of that array ref will be as many "undef" values as there are capture buffers with that name. In other words, the tied hash will behave as "%-". When the "all" parameter is omitted or false, then the tied hash elements will be the contents of the leftmost defined buffer with the name of the associated hash key. In other words, the tied hash will behave as "%+". The keys of "%-"-like hashes correspond to all buffer names found in the regular expression; the keys of "%+"-like hashes list only the names of buffers that have captured (and that are thus associated to defined values). SEE ALSO
perlreapi, re, "Pragmatic Modules" in perlmodlib, "%+" in perlvar, "%-" in perlvar. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Tie::Hash::NamedCapture(3pm)