Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creation of directoryname with Max limit Post 302257023 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 11th of November 2008 07:25:39 AM
Old 11-11-2008
If you have some deep directory trees, try adding a symbolic link from the bottom of one tree to the top of another directory tree. Referencing a file way down on the second tree via the full name of the first tree + link > directory name of second tree

Are you trying to secure files?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

max value

Hi All, I want to choose the maximum value from a column values. eg - 234 23 567 43 2456 5 678 8978 from thses values how to choose the max value ? thanks. roger. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max NO of parameters

1> Can anyone tell me what is the maximum no of parameters that can be passed to a file 2> i have 100 files amongst which in 500 files i have a string which needs to be searched how would get the names of those files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL Socket max Limit settting

How to set the max limit for socket opening TCL Thanks, Ajay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aju_kup
1 Replies

4. Programming

How to limit max no of message in a posix message queue

Hii can anyone pls tell how to limit the max no of message in a posix message queue. I have made changes in proc/sys/fs/mqueue/msg_max But still whenever i try to read the value of max. message in the queue using attr.mq_curmsgs (where struct mq_attr attr) its giving the default value as 10.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

5. Linux

file-max limit

Oct 31 00:00:02 FIREWALL003 syslogd 1.4.1: restart. Oct 31 00:00:02 FIREWALL003 syslogd 1.4.1: restart. Oct 31 00:00:02 FIREWALL003 syslogd 1.4.1: restart. Oct 31 02:37:09 FIREWALL003 kernel: srmLINUX: segfault at 00000000303a3031 rip 000000000026fe54 rsp 00000000ffbd05b8 error 4 Oct 31... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting unix path after known directoryname

Hi scripters, I know sed can do this, but I'm not to well trained to achieve this. Problem: wherever I am in my filesystem, with a 'pwd' I can check where I am. It may be "/usr/local/apache/etc/conf" or "/opt/apache/var/log/backup" or "/var/log/backup/apache/2009/december" Now from these... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qube
7 Replies

7. HP-UX

max limit in in setting array

hi, iam getting error when i assign a variable to an array of more that 315 character in length set -A array <variable> <variable> value is 000001 000002 and up to 000045 it is giving error as "The specified subscript cannot be greater than 1024." can any one help me to solve this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomathi
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit

Hi all, I'm using to Solaris machine. When I run a simple script this messenger come out:"limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit". Any one know the way to resolve this problem without reboot the machine? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diabolist9
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Max Open File Limit

Ubuntu users, I am configuring an Ubuntu 14.04 server as a load injector. I have appended the hard and soft limits to /etc/security/limits.conf for any user (apart from root): * hard nofile 65536 * soft nofile 65536 I am seeing the figure 65536 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aidylewis
5 Replies
LNDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LNDIR(1)

NAME
lndir - create a shadow directory of symbolic links to another directory tree SYNOPSIS
lndir [ -silent ] [ -ignorelinks ] [ -withrevinfo ] fromdir [ todir ] DESCRIPTION
The lndir program makes a shadow copy todir of a directory tree fromdir, except that the shadow is not populated with real files but instead with symbolic links pointing at the real files in the fromdir directory tree. This is usually useful for maintaining source code for different machine architectures. You create a shadow directory containing links to the real source, which you will have usually mounted from a remote machine. You can build in the shadow tree, and the object files will be in the shadow directory, while the source files in the shadow directory are just symlinks to the real files. This scheme has the advantage that if you update the source, you need not propagate the change to the other architectures by hand, since all source in all shadow directories are symlinks to the real thing: just cd to the shadow directory and recompile away. The todir argument is optional and defaults to the current directory. The fromdir argument may be relative (e.g., ../src) and is relative to todir (not the current directory). Note that BitKeeper, RCS, SCCS, .svn, CVS and CVS.adm directories are shadowed only if the -withrevinfo flag is specified. If you add files, simply run lndir again. New files will be silently added. Old files will be checked that they have the correct link. Deleting files is a more painful problem; the symlinks will just point into never never land. If a file in fromdir is a symbolic link, lndir will make the same link in todir rather than making a link back to the (symbolic link) entry in fromdir. The -ignorelinks flag changes this behavior. OPTIONS
-silent Normally lndir outputs the name of each subdirectory as it descends into it. The -silent option suppresses these status messages. -ignorelinks Causes the program to not treat symbolic links in fromdir specially. The link created in todir will point back to the corresponding (symbolic link) file in fromdir. If the link is to a directory, this is almost certainly the wrong thing. This option exists mostly to emulate the behavior the C version of lndir had in X11R6. Its use is not recommended. -withrevinfo Causes any BitKeeper, RCS, SCCS, .svn, CVS and CVS.adm subdirectories to be treated as any other directory, rather than ignored. DIAGNOSTICS
The program displays the name of each subdirectory it enters, followed by a colon. The -silent option suppresses these messages. A warning message is displayed if the symbolic link cannot be created. The usual problem is that a regular file of the same name already exists. If the link already exists but doesn't point to the correct file, the program prints the link name and the location where it does point. X Version 11 lndir 1.0.1 LNDIR(1)