Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting error while using export command Post 302256957 by zaxxon on Tuesday 11th of November 2008 01:06:19 AM
Old 11-11-2008
UID and PWD are system variables which stand for "UserID" and "Print Working Directory"; you should pick definetly other names for your custom variables. Very unlucky pick Smilie

Do an echo on them in your shell and see what is assigned to them currently. UID will have the uid of your current user and is a read only variable.
PWD can be changed, but if you do so, any output like maybe in the prompt/PS1 will be messed up then.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using export command

I saw a unix shell script in which export command is used like this : export filename what is a file exported for ? thanks srini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

export command

Is there any difference between these 2 commands :- export var="a" and var="a" export var (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Export command

Hi all, Want to know what does export command do?? What is its functionality? And on a shell prompt $at=1 $ echo $at 1 The variable above is it available to other script??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.kudreka
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ExporT Command Not found

Hi All I am getting and error export command not found What can be the possible reasons for this and how do we verify those Please help me Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: networking
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export Command

Hello All, I am transferring a file from one server to another server. File name is stored as Wip_DD-MM-YY .i.e if we run the program today the file is stored as Wip_18-FEB-09.txt. This file i need to transfer. My question is how do we assign the this filename to a variable. i treid in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chpraveen_862
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with export command

hello all, I know this is a silly question but i have no answer. I have a shell script temp.ksh export value="mynh" echo $value but when i execute the temp.ksh "mynh" is printed but when i give echo $value in the shell after the program is executed, nothing is printed. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for export command

Hi, I need help for using export command. Lets consider there are 2 servers ie. A & B. I am running one script on server A which calls another script on server B using remsh command. There is one variable in the script on server B which do not gets evaluated and ultimately i get the error. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_shah06
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to export a command ?

Hi The command "ssh -V" works as normal user but fails as root. As Normal user: bash-3.00$ ssh -V OpenSSH_5.9p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011As Root user: # ssh -V bash: ssh: command not found Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-LP] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin pwd command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The options are as follows: -L Display the logical current working directory. -P Display the physical current working directory (all symbolic links resolved). If no options are specified, the -P option is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by pwd: PWD Logical current working directory. DIAGNOSTICS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. STANDARDS
The pwd utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). SEE ALSO
builtin(1), cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster because it is built into that shell. However, it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a containing directory was moved after the shell descended into it. The -L option does not work unless the PWD environment variable is exported by the shell. BSD
February 4, 2002 BSD