Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I tell which network card is which? Post 302256779 by mojoman on Monday 10th of November 2008 02:33:17 PM
Old 11-10-2008
How can I tell which network card is which?

I have three network cards in my unix box. I need to figure out which card corresponds to an assigned IP address. If there some command in unix I can use to make an ethernet interface blink?

Any advice would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

network card

I have a UnixWare 2 server that has an ISA 3Com NIC that has just a BNC connector on it. I want to remove this and install an ISA 3Com NIC that has a BNC/RJ45 connector. What steps do I have to go through to successfully complete this? Thye are almost the exact same cards except for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cparks
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing network card

1) i am trying to install realtek network card in caldrea linux, but i am not able to find the interface, 2)i download drivers for network card and i am not able to read the floopy in linux, pls help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gops
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Network Card with SGI

The Octane is driving me nuts . It was sitting on the network doing its job nicely and i had to pull the n/w cable out from the wall to pull it from the inside of the table and connected it again . The logs show this -- link down .... < when i pulled it out > link ok < when i connected > But... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Card Help

I have been having trouble with my sis900 neytwork card in slacwkare linux. I tried to modprobe the sis900, it didnt give me any errors but it didnt load it. so I put in a realtek 8139 network card and tried it too. These are the errors i get with the two cards when trying to do insmod on either of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Fridgerator
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network card and internet

Hi!. I have problems installing my network card under ther redhat kernel. First i tryed my integrated intel pro set 10/100 then my d-link 530tx Pci but none of them seems to be found. also i huse my network card to connect to the net trough PPPOE where i need to type my username and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gibbler
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to identifying the network card ?

Hi Experts, Can we use some command from unix to find the available network interface? I did tried Its listing following, however how can I decide the which vender card is attached e.g. if its hme , bge or some thing else Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install a network card

Hey guys, Sorry, this question might look stupid but I have no idea how to install a network card. My server is a Dell PowerEdge T105 with Debian 5.0 Lenny. My network card is a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express. I've plugged the card innside my server and I can see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Network Card Name details

Hi All, Can somebody explain that whats the meaning of different interfaces naming scheme, Like ' hme, qfe, e1000g0, ce, eri, bge' ? This is such a basic question which i always overlooked :( Thanks ! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarister
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Regarding Network Interface Card

Dear All , While taking backups in one Linux Server , we find one alert came with regard to Network Interface Card. Pl find the below alert. Network Interface Card performance for NIC:eth1 has exceeded Major threshold. Bytes sent and received per second (Average)= 105540.303101... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
6 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Error on network card

Hi Please can you help me to understand what could be wrong based on what I have captured in the logs: I have run cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i warn, and I got the following output NetworkManager: <warn> Activation (eth3) failed. Dec 23 10:58:25 cmoveldb02 NetworkManager: <warn> (eth3): DHCPv4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies
ray_cs(January 20, 1999)												  ray_cs(January 20, 1999)

NAME
ray_cs - Raylink wireless LAN - PCMCIA card device driver SYNOPSIS
insmod ray_cs [essid=string] [irq_mask=n] [net_type=[0-1]] [ray_debug=[0-5]] [phy_addr=xNNNNNNNNNNNN] [hop_dwell=n] [beacon_period=n] [psm=[0-1]] [translate=[0-1]] [country=[1-8]] [sniffer=[0-1]] [bc=[0-1]] DESCRIPTION
ray_cs is the low level Card Services device driver for the Raylink wireless LAN PCMCIA adapter. It is normally loaded automatically by card services according to the parameters specified in /etc/pcmcia/ray_cs.opts. PARAMETERS
essid=string ESS ID - network name to join string with maximum length of 32 chars default value = "LINUX" irq_mask=n linux standard 16 bit value 1bit/IRQ lsb is IRQ 0, bit 1 is IRQ 1 etc. Used to restrict choice of IRQ's to use. net_type=n 0 = adhoc network (default) 1 = infrastructure ray_debug=n (0-5) larger values for more verbose logging. phy_addr=string string of 12 hex digits containing new MAC address. must be started with x e.g. x00008f123456 hop_dwell=n hop dwell time in Kilo-microseconds legal values = 16,32,64,128(default),256 beacon_period=n Beacon period in Kilo-microseconds. Legal values = 16,32,64,128,256(default) must be integer multiple of hop dwell. psm=n Power save mode 0 = continuously active 1 = power save mode (significantly slower) bc=n Power save mode 0 = 802.11 timing 1 = 802.11 modified timing. Interframe spacing is slowed down for compatibility with older Breezecom access points. translate 0 = no translation (encapsulate frames) 1 = translation (default) country=n Country code 1 = USA (default) 2 = Europe 3 = Japan 4 = Korea 5 = Spain 6 = France 7 = Israel 8 = Australia sniffer=n 0 = normal network interface - not sniffer (default) 1 = sniffer which can be used to record all network traffic using tcpdump or similar, but no normal network use is allowed. This is because linux has no knowledge of 802.11 headers and cannot parse them correctly. Note that tcpdump does not understand 802.11 headers, either so it can't interpret the contents, but it can record to a file. BUGS ray_cs can lock the machine if the card is pulled out while active. I have never observed a crash if card is deactivated as follows before removal: ifconfig eth0 down The above command assumes that the Raylink card is configured as eth0. This driver only does encapsulation of ethernet frames within 802.11 frames. Most vendors, including Raytheon, are moving to a frame translation method. Translation support has been started, but is not yet functional. Support for defragmenting frames is not yet tested. The ioctl support is incomplete. The hardware address cannot be set using ifconfig yet. If a different hardware address is needed, it may be set using the phy_addr parameter in ray_cs.opts. AUTHOR
Corey Thomas - corey@world.std.com SEE ALSO
cardmgr(8), pcmcia(5), ifconfig(8). ray_cs(January 20, 1999)