Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Anyone know?: How the 'for'-loop could stop working in interactive bash shell?! Post 302256669 by alex_5161 on Monday 10th of November 2008 10:41:14 AM
Old 11-10-2008
Thank you, drl, set -x realy interesting thing.

It seems the shell some how do not processing assighment in the (( )).
Also in 'let' and in 'expr' ('ec' is an alianse for echo)
Code:
>ec $i; expr i++; ec $i
+ /usr/bin/echo 2
+ expr i++
i++
+ /usr/bin/echo 2
>ec $i; expr i++; expr i=1; ec $i
+ /usr/bin/echo 2
+ expr i++
i++
+ expr i=1
i=1
+ /usr/bin/echo 2
>ec $i; expr i++; let i=1; ec $i
+ /usr/bin/echo 2
+ expr i++
i++
+ let i=1
+ /usr/bin/echo 2
>ec $i; expr i++; i=1; ec $i
+ /usr/bin/echo 2
+ expr i++
i++
+ i=1
+ /usr/bin/echo 1
>ec $i; expr i++; i=$((i++)); ec $i
+ /usr/bin/echo 1
+ expr i++
i++
+ i=1
+ /usr/bin/echo 1
>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shell to bash - statement not working

Everything else seems to be working, but this isn't. Is it the "cat..." that is wrong of the condition? Thanks. cat tc_result.txt | while read LINE do if then let "files_run += 1"; echo "inside the if loop" # save current filetype case $LINE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop not working in BASH shell

i have this code for a simple if loop: #!/bin/bash array="1 2 3 4 5" array2="5 6 7 8 9" if } -gt ${array} ]; then echo "${array2} is greater than ${array}!!" fi the error is ./script8: line 9: [: too many arguments ./script8: line 9: [: too many arguments ./script8: line 9: [:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null Handling in Until loop. . .loop won't stop

Hi Im running this script, which is supposed to find the max value build some tables and then stop running once all the tables are built. Thing is , it keeps assigning a null value to $h and then $g is null so it keep building tables i.e. testupdateNUL. How can I stop this? Here is what I have: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandono66
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script not working using for loop and a funtion

Hi- Here is the shell script that for some reason is not returning results: #! /bin/ksh - avg() { AVG=0 typeset SUM=0 if then echo "You must have at least two numbers" else for NUM in "$*" do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koomba
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

export not working in Bash shell

Hi Friends, I am presently migrating shell scripts writter in KSH to SH.I am stuck at this place and i am not able to find a work around:- Let the script name is x.sh Below are some of the codes in it... export abc=hello export abc=hi export abc=how When i am trying to compile the script ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.behera
6 Replies

7. AIX

Shell script stop working

I have a strange problem. I have the following in a cron to find files older than a day. find /dir1/dir2/ ! -name . -prune -name "s*.txt" -type f -mtime +1 -exec echo {} \; | wc -w It was working fine for the last few days now it suddenly stopped working. I can clearly see files in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Factorial using FOR loop not working

Hi, I am trying to run the factorial script but it’s not working. The code is mentioned below: ------------------------------------------------------------------ /home/gc> cat fact.sh #!/bin/bash # using one command line parameter factorial=1 for (( number = 1; number <= $1 ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Technext
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script loop not working

Hi I'm using this script to transcode videos in an Ubuntu 12.04 machine. #! /bin/bash MOVDIR="/media/topaz_1/media/transcodes/transcode_mov/" MOVDESTDIR="/media/topaz_1/media/transcodes/final_mov/" DONEFILESDIR="/media/topaz_1/media/transcodes/dv_cache/"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oscarfelson
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in bourne shell is not working

I have a loop with cases I am working on Bourne shell for file in *.${Today}*.csv *.${Today}*.txt\ do case ${file} in sun_detail) do something ;; sum) do something ;; mod) do something ;; *) do something ;; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
5 Replies
for(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    for(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
for - ``For'' loop SYNOPSIS
for start test next body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
For is a looping command, similar in structure to the C for statement. The start, next, and body arguments must be Tcl command strings, and test is an expression string. The for command first invokes the Tcl interpreter to execute start. Then it repeatedly evaluates test as an expression; if the result is non-zero it invokes the Tcl interpreter on body, then invokes the Tcl interpreter on next, then repeats the loop. The command terminates when test evaluates to 0. If a continue command is invoked within body then any remaining commands in the current execution of body are skipped; processing continues by invoking the Tcl interpreter on next, then evaluating test, and so on. If a break command is invoked within body or next, then the for command will return immediately. The operation of break and continue are similar to the corresponding statements in C. For returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the for command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: for {set x 0} {$x<10} {incr x} { puts "x is $x" } SEE ALSO
break, continue, foreach, while KEYWORDS
for, iteration, looping Tcl for(n)