Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash 'shopt' doubt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash 'shopt' doubt Post 302256661 by cfajohnson on Monday 10th of November 2008 10:25:24 AM
Old 11-10-2008

What do you want it to do?

I suggest that you read the Parameter Expansion section of the bash man page.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting doubt

i need to check if any user has logged-in more than once in different terminals and then print the count of those login, so i wrote this command, who -H | wc -l but i feel its not accurate , something is wrong ,i have been trying for a long time by trial n error to solve it, but i need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiphias
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

colors in BASH, doubt with script

I was trying to see all combinations of foreground and background colors in BASH. This works fine for me, echo -e '\E[37;46m TEXT' but when I tried the below script, the variables i and j do not expand. #!/bin/sh for i in `seq 30 37` # foreground do for j in `seq 40... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shopt -s nullglob

Hi, I am using BASH. In a directory there are files that match either of the following 2 patterns: *.L1A_AC* or S*.L1A_MLAC* I would like to write a script that will include a for loop, where for each file in the directory, a certain function will be performed. For example: for FILE in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt??

I jus want to know the meaning of the below command line(exclamation following that re-direction) sqlplus -s `cat /home/sample.txt` <<! Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nohup
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt

Hi , Struck with one basic question. Iam expecting word count of 4 where "wc" is showing as 5 . # echo "abcd" | wc 1 1 5 # echo abcd | wc 1 1 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchal_boddu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell scripting doubt

Hello All, I am setting up a cron job, where i am calling a shell script to make few builds. I got struck at a point, need some expert inputs to proceed further. The script is categorized in 5 parts and in the last part while building software it asks for few questions like:- 1. Build mode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Doubt

How to create a file with specific size in RHEL6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sashi Kanth A
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Doubt

in my shell script requirement is to search and replace the file with variable so i use the following command sed -i "s/abc/$SCHEMA/g" table.sql later when the script runs sqlplus username/pwd@Table& this & is not letting the variable to replace the value inside the file .please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhuvan1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shopt -s histappend

What is the point of this? Whenever I close my shell it appends to the history file without adding this. I have never seen it overwrite my history file. # When the shell exits, append to the history file instead of overwriting it shopt -s histappend (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)