Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX 5.2 performance question
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5.2 performance question Post 302256622 by shockneck on Monday 10th of November 2008 09:25:01 AM
Old 11-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall
[...]
Code:
# vmo -a | egrep -i 'perm|cli|free|lru'
            maxfree = 128
            minfree = 120
           minperm% = 20
            minperm = 195622
           maxperm% = 80
            maxperm = 782488
     strict_maxperm = 0
         maxclient% = 80
          lrubucket = 131072

Please let me know what other information I should post that will help to diagnose this issue.

Thanks!
This vmo -a output is either incomplete or indicates that you use some very old TL. If you did not do this yet: I suggest you upgrade your AIX to the current TL 10 SP5 or SP6. The VMM differs between some ML/TL considerably. (You might be below 5.2 ML4.)

Your application uses (together with kernel and shared memory) about 860MB RAM under load. This is pretty close to your minperm setting of 20% of your total RAM. The next tuning step would be to find out whether your application causes the trouble because it cannot allocate enough memory during operation as seen in your first post. To find out change the VMM settings.
Code:
# vmo -o lru_file_repage=0 -o lru_poll_interval=10 -o minperm%=5 -o maxperm%=90 -o maxclient%=90

This configuration change will enable your server to use more memory for the application by reducing memory available for file caching. If it works out as expected paging into the filesystem should stop eventually. The change will be active without reboot.
You might watch the config change's effect with vmstat. If you like the server's behaviour fix the settings by issuing the command again with a leading -p. If you don't the server will start with its default settings after the next reboot.

Last edited by shockneck; 11-10-2008 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: extended range for possible solution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX performance

Hiya all, I am a newbie sysadmin to AIX, i have worked on HPUX for 3 years. I have started a new role with in an IBM house and because there is me and one other there are a couple of issues I cannot work out: We havehad a production server slowing down processing batch jbs over the past... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
6 Replies

2. AIX

Performance testing on AIX

I'm doing performance testing for one application which works on AIX. But I don't know which performance parameters of memory need to be collected. Now, I just know very few: 1. page in 2. page out 3. fre They are all collected by "vmstat" command. I want to know, except for above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adasong
2 Replies

3. AIX

Performance issue in AIX 5.3

Is there is any way to increase the CPU utilization of a Embedded SQL program in AIX 5.3 .. for performance purpose. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gyanendra Awast
0 Replies

4. AIX

performance issue in AIX

Gurus, i have process that runs 5 times a day. it runs normally (takes about 1 hour) to complete in 3 runs but it is takes about ( 3 hrs to complete) two times So i need to figure out why it takes significanlty high time during those 2 runs. The process is a shell script that connect to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX performance issue

Hi Guys, This is the situation I am in. Provide your views and input where should I start? I have one P7 test server and a p520 production server. the job is taking pretty long on the P7 test server when compared to the P5 production server. below is the full detail. Informix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithinksgreen
5 Replies

6. AIX

Need some help for AIX performance monitoring

Hello I am new user of AIX; I have only basic knowledge of the UNIX commands, and I want to create script that will monitor the performance and resources usage on AIX 6.1 machine. Basically I wan to start a loop that will grab, every 10 seconds, the CPU usage, the memory usage, the disk usage,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adaher
1 Replies

7. AIX

Asynchronous I/O on AIX and DB performance

Hi, I would like to hear your thoughts about this. We are running our Data warehouse on DB2 DPF (partition environment) and I have notice that sometimes we hit the Asynchronous-I/O-Processes peak. DB2 relies heavily on Asynchronous I/O so I would believe this has an negative impact.We are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
10 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 5.3 performance problems

Hello, I encounter some performance issues on my AIX 5.3 server running in a LPAR on a P520. How do I investigate performance issues in AIX. Is there any kind of procedure that takes me to the steps to investigate my server and find the sub systems that is causing the issues? The performance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

9. AIX

Performance stats from AIX 6

Hi, I'm supposed to capture many performance stats on AIX 6 and stuck up with below: Priority queue Disk cache hit% Page out rate Swap out rate Memory queue I see vmstatis helpful for "page out" but not sure how to get the "rate". Could anyone please let me know how to get these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
4 Replies

10. AIX

IBM AIX I/O Performance Tuning

I have a IBM Power9 server coupled with a NVMe StorWize V7000 GEN3 storage, doing some benchmarks and noticing that single thread I/O (80% Read / 20% Write, common OLTP I/O profile) seems slow. ./xdisk -R0 -r80 -b 8k -M 1 -f /usr1/testing -t60 -OD -V BS Proc AIO read% IO Flag IO/s ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
8 Replies
services.window(4)					     Kernel Interfaces Manual						services.window(4)

NAME
services.window - file containing applications and their associated memory window ID DESCRIPTION
The file is used by applications using memory windows. Each line in the file associates an application with a memory window ID. A line in the file cannot start with a space or tab. The format is a unique name, defining the application, followed by a space/tab, followed by a unique window_id. See the sample file in Memory windows allows for the starting of a process in a unique or existing memory window where it can create and share objects with other applications in the same memory window. The creation of memory windows removes the system wide restriction on shared resources. Without memory windows, 32-bit processes were lim- ited to 1.75 gigabytes of shared resources. Each memory window allows for the definition of a unique 1 gigabyte quadrant and since multi- ple memory windows can be defined in a system, the system total for shared resources can exceed the 1.75 gigabyte limitation for 32 bit processes. The definition of a memory window is only available for 32-bit processes. The file provides a central place for memory window applications to associate their memory window IDs. In the event there are any colli- sions, only a change in is necessary to select another memory window for the entire application. If is not used, and user applications hard code window IDs in their startup scripts, collisions are not easily detected or easily fixed. A memory window application uses the command getmemwindow(1M) to extract the application's window_id from the file, and then passes that ID to the setmemwindow(1M). Using the same window ID places applications in the same memory window. EXAMPLES
Below is a example of a file. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
File containing applications' associated window ID. SEE ALSO
getmemwindow(1M), setmemwindow(1M). on services.window(4)