Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX 5.2 performance question
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5.2 performance question Post 302256565 by bakunin on Monday 10th of November 2008 06:04:48 AM
Old 11-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall
Code:
# svmon -G
               size      inuse       free        pin    virtual
memory      1048576    1048457        119     114806     215174

The values marked bold are the interesting numbers in the output: the "virtual" number is what you actually use, the "inuse" number is what you have. As long as the right number is smaller than the left as a rule of thumb everything is fine. Once the right number is (much) bigger than the left one you have to get more memory. The necessary amount is (again - rule of thumb, this is no exact algorithm) the difference then. Not that all these numbers are 4k-pages, you will have to multiply by 4096 to get bytes.

In your case the machine has 4GB of RAM and uses roughly 1GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall
Code:
# vmo -a | egrep -i 'perm|cli|free|lru'
           minperm% = 20
           maxperm% = 80
         maxclient% = 80
          lrubucket = 131072

If i remember correctly these are all defaults, but to me it does not look like you have a memory problem.

Could you please tell us what the machine is doing? What are the processes running on it, are there some standard applications on it?

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX performance

Hiya all, I am a newbie sysadmin to AIX, i have worked on HPUX for 3 years. I have started a new role with in an IBM house and because there is me and one other there are a couple of issues I cannot work out: We havehad a production server slowing down processing batch jbs over the past... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
6 Replies

2. AIX

Performance testing on AIX

I'm doing performance testing for one application which works on AIX. But I don't know which performance parameters of memory need to be collected. Now, I just know very few: 1. page in 2. page out 3. fre They are all collected by "vmstat" command. I want to know, except for above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adasong
2 Replies

3. AIX

Performance issue in AIX 5.3

Is there is any way to increase the CPU utilization of a Embedded SQL program in AIX 5.3 .. for performance purpose. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gyanendra Awast
0 Replies

4. AIX

performance issue in AIX

Gurus, i have process that runs 5 times a day. it runs normally (takes about 1 hour) to complete in 3 runs but it is takes about ( 3 hrs to complete) two times So i need to figure out why it takes significanlty high time during those 2 runs. The process is a shell script that connect to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX performance issue

Hi Guys, This is the situation I am in. Provide your views and input where should I start? I have one P7 test server and a p520 production server. the job is taking pretty long on the P7 test server when compared to the P5 production server. below is the full detail. Informix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithinksgreen
5 Replies

6. AIX

Need some help for AIX performance monitoring

Hello I am new user of AIX; I have only basic knowledge of the UNIX commands, and I want to create script that will monitor the performance and resources usage on AIX 6.1 machine. Basically I wan to start a loop that will grab, every 10 seconds, the CPU usage, the memory usage, the disk usage,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adaher
1 Replies

7. AIX

Asynchronous I/O on AIX and DB performance

Hi, I would like to hear your thoughts about this. We are running our Data warehouse on DB2 DPF (partition environment) and I have notice that sometimes we hit the Asynchronous-I/O-Processes peak. DB2 relies heavily on Asynchronous I/O so I would believe this has an negative impact.We are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
10 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 5.3 performance problems

Hello, I encounter some performance issues on my AIX 5.3 server running in a LPAR on a P520. How do I investigate performance issues in AIX. Is there any kind of procedure that takes me to the steps to investigate my server and find the sub systems that is causing the issues? The performance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

9. AIX

Performance stats from AIX 6

Hi, I'm supposed to capture many performance stats on AIX 6 and stuck up with below: Priority queue Disk cache hit% Page out rate Swap out rate Memory queue I see vmstatis helpful for "page out" but not sure how to get the "rate". Could anyone please let me know how to get these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
4 Replies

10. AIX

IBM AIX I/O Performance Tuning

I have a IBM Power9 server coupled with a NVMe StorWize V7000 GEN3 storage, doing some benchmarks and noticing that single thread I/O (80% Read / 20% Write, common OLTP I/O profile) seems slow. ./xdisk -R0 -r80 -b 8k -M 1 -f /usr1/testing -t60 -OD -V BS Proc AIO read% IO Flag IO/s ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
8 Replies
mem(7D) 							      Devices								   mem(7D)

NAME
mem, kmem, allkmem - physical or virtual memory access SYNOPSIS
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/allkmem DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/mem is a special file that provides access to the physical memory of the computer. The file /dev/kmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. The file /dev/allkmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. You can use any of these devices to examine and modify the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. Byte addresses in /dev/kmem and /dev/allkmem are interpreted as kernel virtual memory addresses. A reference to a non-existent location returns an error. See ERRORS for more information. The file /dev/mem accesses physical memory; the size of the file is equal to the amount of physical memory in the computer. This size may be larger than 4GB on a system running the 32-bit operating environment. In this case, you can access memory beyond 4GB using a series of read(2) and write(2) calls, a pread64() or pwrite64() call, or a combination of llseek(2) and read(2) or write(2). ERRORS
EFAULT Occurs when trying to write(2) a read-only location (allkmem), read(2) a write-only location (allkmem), or read(2) or write(2) a non-existent or unimplemented location (mem, kmem, allkmem). EIO Occurs when trying to read(2) or write(2) a memory location that is associated with an I/O device using the /dev/kmem spe- cial file. ENXIO Results from attempting to mmap(2) a non-existent physical (mem) or virtual (kmem, allkmem) memory address. FILES
/dev/mem Provides access to the computer's physical memory. /dev/kmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. /dev/allkmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. SEE ALSO
llseek(2), mmap(2), read(2), write(2) WARNINGS
Using these devices to modify (that is, write to) the address space of a live running operating system or to modify the state of a hardware device is extremely dangerous and may result in a system panic if kernel data structures are damaged or if device state is changed. SunOS 5.10 18 Feb 2002 mem(7D)