Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers getting help on finding exception in running log file Post 302256510 by wempy on Monday 10th of November 2008 02:54:52 AM
Old 11-10-2008
you could put each pattern that you wish to search for in a file, one per line, and use grep -f option. -f is specified by posix, so should be available on most versions of grep.
Code:
count=`tail -n 1000 Trace.log | grep -c -f /home/user/patterns`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finding a process running on a port

how do I find the process that is running on a port in HP-Unix? Murali (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manduva
8 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Urgent---Program for getting Exception from a log

Hi Friends, I am new to Unix, Now I am Working with shell scripting in my company Description:-By executing that script I need to get the exception from the log file I need the program for getting the Exceptions from the logfile,,and that program should be generic...I mean if i want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
5 Replies

3. Programming

Exception Signal 11 while running JAVA code in UNIX

Hi, when i compile my java code in UNIX using javac, the class file is getting created. But when i try to run the code using java - classpath command, i get the following error. ---------------------------------------- /u/up11/sample/request:>java -classpath /u/up11/sample/request... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for finding an error from a log file

Hi , I have a doubt about a shell script to find an ERROR from the log file. But I need to specify a the scan from a particular date and time in the log. Till now I have developed the following script. Please suggest what shall I add in this for date and time. If the script finds a particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding unique string in log file

Shell script help Here is 3 sample lines from a log file <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID= user login <date> DEBUG <java.com.blah> <nlah bla> abcd:ID=123 user login <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID=3243 user login I want to find unique "ID" from this log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need help with a shell script for finding a certain pattern from log file

Hell Guys, Being a newbie, I need some help in finding a certain string from a log file of thousands of lines (around 30K lines) and have the output in a separate file. Below is the file output - 10.155.65.5 - - "POST... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help finding info from log file

Hi, I have a log file that contains information such as this: date id number command1 command2 command3 command4 data data data date id number command1 command2 command3 command4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding errors in log file only in last 10 minutes

Hi there, I have a log file that I need to check every 10 minutes to find if a specific error exists but only in that 10 minute period. The reason is that the log is quite large, and will frequently contain these errors, so I only want alerting if it in the last 10 minutes - I don't want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul_vf
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding which is Running number

Hi All, I have a list of data in the listing file and I run row by row to process the record, but how to identify what is the current process line number ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor logs for exception and if exception come then sent an email

Hi Folks, please advise , I have logs generated on unix machine at location /ops/opt/aaa/bvg.log , now sometimes there come exception in these logs also, so I want to write such a script such that it should continuously monitor these logs and whenever any exception comes that is it try to find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuntun27272727
3 Replies
lsmsad(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 lsmsad(8)

NAME
lsmsad - Starts the Storage Administrator (SA) daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lsmsad DESCRIPTION
The SA daemon, lsmsad, is a process required by lsmsa, the SA graphical user interface (GUI). The daemon issues commands and obtains system information on behalf of SA. The SA daemon runs on a Tru64 UNIX system on which LSM is initialized and running. The SA client runs on any machine that supports the Java Runtime Environment. The SA daemon is automatically started at boot time. Under normal conditions, the daemon does not need to be run manually. If SA does not start during the boot process, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa stop To restart SA, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa start Only one SA daemon can be running on a system at a given time. If a second SA daemon attempts to start, it will fail. RESTRICTIONS
You must be root user to run lsmsad. FILES
The script that starts lsmsad at boot time. The command log file that tracks SA tasks. The access log file that tracks login to SA. The server log file that tracks server startup information and server errors. The log maintenance shell script that saves and compresses log files. SEE ALSO
lsmsa(8), volintro(8) lsmsad(8)