Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting .bashrc files modifying the PS1 variable? Post 302256480 by raidkridley on Monday 10th of November 2008 12:36:37 AM
Old 11-10-2008
...please...?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple question about changing PS1 variable at startup!

Hello there ! I am new in this Unix world and just start learning Unix. I have very simple question about changing PS1 variable (Shell Prompt) i have local.profile file in my working directory, i open in vi edit mode and add this line PS1="Hello:>" and i save that file. I disconnected from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PS1 variable

I want to set my prompt to something more descriptive than a plain old $, so I set the PS1 variable as such: PS1="" Which changes the prompt correctly, but when I change directories, it does not update the prompt. So I tried this: PS1="`pwd`>" I get the same results when changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting PS1 variable

Hi, I am trying to set my current prompt with the current directory iam working on by $PS1=$PWD but it is blank. please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: papachi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading ~/.bashrc variable

1) I've added a variable called IMPORT_HOME to my ~/.bashrc file: IMPORT_HOME=/import:$IMPORT_HOME 2) I sourced the bashrc file: source ~/.bashrc 3) In my bash script, i tried to echo out the IMPORT_HOME variable but it doesnt print out '/import/, only whitespace: #!/bin/bash echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuGz
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files that midify the PS1 variable.

Any help developing a command to find all files on the system named ".bashrc" that modify the PS1 variable. I wanna list the full file name, including the full path, and protection. Nothing else. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
2 Replies

6. Solaris

problem in setting PS1 variable

Hi I have set PS1 in my profile as - PS1='${LOGNAME}@${PWD}>' ; export PS1 it works fine if I am in bash/ksh shell, but as soon as i switch to bourn shell (sh) then it shows "${LOGNAME}@${PWD}>" as prompt. It is also not working in csh. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc/PS1 command color different color to command output

I have been configuring my .bashrc PS1 to be displayed with some nice colors and in a format that I like, however there is one thing that I cannot figure out (or know if it's even possible). my PS1 line is as follows: export PS1='\\u\@\\h\:\\w\n\\$ \'This makes the command and command output... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain below PS1 variable

please tell me what is "!" mean in below value of PS1 variable PS1='($PWD) !>' Thanks Sunny (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting the PS1 variable

Hi i'm new to unix, can anyone assist in me setting the PS1 variable in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user@123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the .bashrc

I have modified the .bashrc. The problem is that when I write a long command, it does not write on the next line but continues to write on the same line. # ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells. # see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc) # for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
GO2(1)																	    GO2(1)

NAME
go2 - directory finder SYNOPSIS
go2 [-h] [--cd] [-i] [-r] [--setup] [--version] [pattern [pattern ...]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the go2 command. This manual page was written for the Debian(TM) distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. go2 is a program that finds (and changes to) directories. IMPORTANT
go2 requires be loaded from the shell. To do this include the next sentence in your $HOME/.bashrc file: [ -e /usr/lib/go2/go2.sh ] && source /usr/lib/go2/go2.sh If your wish improve directory caching, you may include also the next sentence: alias cd='go2 --cd' Both are made by the setup process the first time you invoke go2. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes ('-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. --cd Just change working directory -i Case insensitive. -r Search from root directory. -d Search in hidden directories. -l List only, print matches and exists. --setup Install go2 in your .bashrc. SEE ALSO
This program is fully documented in http://arco.esi.uclm.es/~david.villa/go2.html COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 David Villa This manual page was written for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTHOR
David.Villa@uclm.es 2011-08-05 GO2(1)