Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting .bashrc files modifying the PS1 variable? Post 302256431 by raidkridley on Sunday 9th of November 2008 10:41:46 PM
Old 11-09-2008
.bashrc files modifying the PS1 variable?

Is there a command for finding all files on the system named ".bashrc" that modify the PS1 variable? I'd like to list the full file name(s) and the protection (including the full path).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple question about changing PS1 variable at startup!

Hello there ! I am new in this Unix world and just start learning Unix. I have very simple question about changing PS1 variable (Shell Prompt) i have local.profile file in my working directory, i open in vi edit mode and add this line PS1="Hello:>" and i save that file. I disconnected from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PS1 variable

I want to set my prompt to something more descriptive than a plain old $, so I set the PS1 variable as such: PS1="" Which changes the prompt correctly, but when I change directories, it does not update the prompt. So I tried this: PS1="`pwd`>" I get the same results when changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting PS1 variable

Hi, I am trying to set my current prompt with the current directory iam working on by $PS1=$PWD but it is blank. please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: papachi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading ~/.bashrc variable

1) I've added a variable called IMPORT_HOME to my ~/.bashrc file: IMPORT_HOME=/import:$IMPORT_HOME 2) I sourced the bashrc file: source ~/.bashrc 3) In my bash script, i tried to echo out the IMPORT_HOME variable but it doesnt print out '/import/, only whitespace: #!/bin/bash echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuGz
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files that midify the PS1 variable.

Any help developing a command to find all files on the system named ".bashrc" that modify the PS1 variable. I wanna list the full file name, including the full path, and protection. Nothing else. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
2 Replies

6. Solaris

problem in setting PS1 variable

Hi I have set PS1 in my profile as - PS1='${LOGNAME}@${PWD}>' ; export PS1 it works fine if I am in bash/ksh shell, but as soon as i switch to bourn shell (sh) then it shows "${LOGNAME}@${PWD}>" as prompt. It is also not working in csh. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc/PS1 command color different color to command output

I have been configuring my .bashrc PS1 to be displayed with some nice colors and in a format that I like, however there is one thing that I cannot figure out (or know if it's even possible). my PS1 line is as follows: export PS1='\\u\@\\h\:\\w\n\\$ \'This makes the command and command output... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain below PS1 variable

please tell me what is "!" mean in below value of PS1 variable PS1='($PWD) !>' Thanks Sunny (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting the PS1 variable

Hi i'm new to unix, can anyone assist in me setting the PS1 variable in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user@123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the .bashrc

I have modified the .bashrc. The problem is that when I write a long command, it does not write on the next line but continues to write on the same line. # ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells. # see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc) # for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
environ(4)							   File Formats 							environ(4)

NAME
environ, pref, variables - user-preference variables files for AT&T FACE SYNOPSIS
$HOME/pref/.environ $HOME/pref/.variables $HOME/FILECABINET/.pref $HOME/WASTEBASKET/.pref DESCRIPTION
The .environ, .pref, and .variables files contain variables that indicate user preferences for a variety of operations. The .environ and .variables files are located under the user's $HOME/pref directory. The .pref files are found under $HOME/FILECABINET, $HOME/WASTEBASKET, and any directory where preferences were set via the organize command. Names and descriptions for each variable are presented below. Vari- ables are listed one per line and are of the form variable=value. .environ Variables Variables found in .environ include: LOGINWIN[1-4] Windows that are opened when FACE is initialized. SORTMODE Sort mode for file folder listings. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 1 Sorted alphabetically by name. 2 Files most recently modified first. 800 Sorted alphabetically by object type. The values above may be listed in reverse order by ORing the following value: 1000 List objects in reverse order. For example, a value of 1002 will produce a folder listing with files LEAST recently modified displayed first. A value of 1001 would produce a "reverse" alphabetical by name listing of the folder. DISPLAYMODE Display mode for file folders. Values include the following hexadecimal digits: 0 File names only. 4 File names and brief description. 8 File names, description, plus additional information. WASTEPROMPT Prompt before emptying wastebasket (yes/no?). WASTEDAYS Number of days before emptying wastebasket. PRINCMD[1-3] Print command defined to print files. UMASK Holds default permissions with which files will be created. .pref Variables Variables found in .pref are the following: SORTMODE Contains the same values as the SORTMODE variable described in .environ above. DISPMODE Contains the same values as the DISPLAYMODE variable described in .environ above. .variable Variables Variables found in .variables include: EDITOR Default editor. PS1 Shell prompt. SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 environ(4)