Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting throw a generic message upon error Post 302256413 by Gee-Money on Sunday 9th of November 2008 09:34:32 PM
Old 11-09-2008
Maybe something like this using brackets to group commands together...

Code:
{ command1 && dostuff; } || print "err message"

If command1 is successful, then run the 'dostuff' function, if not successful, print error message.

if you're calling a function though, you don't need the parentheses, as in "dostuff()", it would just be "dostuff". You can use the parentheses when you're defining a function though.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop throw perl regexp selection

hello all i have string that i need to parse something list that : <form name="CustomerStatus" action="<% env.GetURI %>" method="post"<$if(blah)%> name="<% env.get("StatusList") %>" ><% hello %><input type="hidden" name="<% env.get("Operation") %>" value=""> now im selecting the the string... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if a file is empty throw an error

I want to count the number of lines in a file and store it in a variable if this count is zero i hv to throw an error ...is this syntax correct , but i am not getting the desired result I am not using -s option here as i am concerned about record count not the size #!/bin/ksh set $count1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Command in the script throw error

Hi I have script that is developed to serch for 30 days old Directory & Files and then remove them ... when i run it successfully removes the Directory & files & but it throw errors on the screen .. .. + find . -type f -mtime +30 -exec rm -f {} ; + exit please help me ?? I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner123
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search line with more than two dots if so throw error

Hi, I have a requirement like i have to search a script and find names that conatins more than two dots, if so then throw error. For ex: a1.b1.comname here i have to find comname and check two dots. it will not throw error a1.b1.c1.comname here it contains more than 2dots it will throw... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swagat123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with using a shell command(looks more generic error)

Hi, This error is actually out of implementing the command posted here - https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/155589-remove-blank-lines-merge-lines-shell.html Here is the error i get - awk: Input line xxxxx cannot be longer than 3,000 bytes. The source line number is 1.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Throw my Toys out of the Pram!

Hi Folks, Today hasn't been the best one of my career in IT. I've been a contractor for a major utility company for a number of years, on a number of seperate IT contracts mostly Unix. The company had 10 different flavours of unix and multiple different varsions of most of them. At the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Debug3 messages throw in my terminal

OS: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 shell : /sbin/sh Messages like "debug3: Wrote 48 bytes for a total of 15837" are thrown in my terminal after each key stroke. If I try to type a command such message appears after each character I type. If I simply press enter messages like below appear. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: black_fender
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to check and throw error for multiplication result

I need to multiply column1 and column3 data and need to compare it with column5. Need to check multiplication and Throw error if result is greater or less than column5 values, though difference of +/- 2 will be ok Ex - if column1 has 2.4 and column3 has 3.5, it will be ok if column5 have value... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
13 Replies
GST-CONVERT(1)							   User Commands						    GST-CONVERT(1)

NAME
gst-convert - Smalltalk syntax converter and beautifier DESCRIPTION
Usage: gst-convert [OPTION]... [INFILE [OUTFILE]] gst-convert [OPTION]... -o|--output OUTFILE INFILES OPTIONS
-q, --quiet don't show any message -v, --verbose print extra information while processing -f, --format=FORMAT convert from given input format (supported formats are gst, gst2, sif, squeak) -F, --output-format=FORMAT convert to given output format (supported formats are gst, gst2, squeak) -C, --class=REGEX convert only classes matching REGEX -C, --class=+REGEX in addition, convert classes matching REGEX -C, --class=-REGEX do not convert classes matching REGEX -c, --category=REGEX convert only classes whose category matches REGEX -c, --category=+REGEX in addition, convert those whose category matches REGEX -c, --category=-REGEX do not convert classes whose category matches REGEX -r, --rule='CODE->REPL' look for CODE and replace it with REPL -o, --output OUTFILE concatenate multiple input files into a single converted output file --help display this message and exit --version print version information and exit SEE ALSO
The full documentation for gst-convert is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and gst-convert programs are properly installed at your site, the command info gst should give you access to the complete manual. gst-convert version 3.2.4 December 2011 GST-CONVERT(1)