Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed using variables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed using variables Post 302256280 by botao on Sunday 9th of November 2008 05:49:41 AM
Old 11-09-2008
sed with double quotes

- if you replace the single quotes (´) in your sample by double quotes (") ,
then the shell will be able to substitute your variables.

- good luck, and success !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doing a sed with variables

Hi, I'm trying to do the following , I have certain variables in a file and then I want to check for these variables in a certain cobol file to see if they contain a certain package if so replace them with value 1 but but that last line is giving problems: # for each variable in SQL file ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seaten
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

doing a sed with variables

Hi, I'm trying to do the following , I have certain variables in a file and then I want to check for these variables in a certain cobol file to see if they contain a certain package if so replace them with value 1 but but that last line is giving problems: # for each variable in SQL file ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doing a sed on certain variables

Hi guys, I want to replace certain values with the number 1. But it is also replacing other values which contain the value I want to replace. e.g.: I want to replace ID-INTERNAL with 1, that's no problem but it will also replace ID-INTERNAL-NON-REM with 1-NON-REM I don't want to... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in sed

when i do something like substituting a particular thing with a system variable, i am unable to do that expect the varible name getting into that. for ex.. i tried, sed -e 's/date/`date`/g' <if >of but i got date replaced with "`date`" and not with the actual date .. same case happened... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed with variables (again!)

Hi, I'm trying to use sed to delete the last three lines of a file. I currently have: # get the amount of lines in the file foldernum=`wc -l File_In.txt | cut -c1-8` # remove the lines in the file sed "${foldernum}-3,${foldernum}d" File_In.txt > File_Out.txt I get the error - sed:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Plow
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variables

HELP!!! I'm keep getting "sed: Function s/PETS/dog cannot be parsed." I have 2 files that list... # cat FILE1.txt dog cat mouse # cat FILE2.txt my pets are PETS I put this into a variable... # A=`cat FILE1.txt` # sed "s/PETS/$A" FILE2.txt > FILE3.txt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variables with sed

I'm trying to get sed to cut and replace using variables, but it doesnt seem to work, when I run this the mod time of the file does get updated. Is my syntax incorrect in the sed command? Thanks #!/usr/bin/ksh #Modify header set -x HEAD=$(cat PBN2CPR1.TXT | awk 'BEGIN { FS = ","... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ddurden7
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables and sed

Is it possible to place a variable in a sed command as such? sed 's/ret_Priv()/$var/' <filename> I am doing this under Bourne. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plslakewood
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Variables with SED

All I am trying to produce the following in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, # IPv4 only #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0 # IPv4 & IPv6 ListenAddress :: to # IPv4 only ListenAddress <user-entry> ListenAddress <user-entry> # IPv4 & IPv6 #ListenAddress :: The number of user entries can vary. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miyoung999
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with variables

Im trying to use sed to print value that matches the value in variable and all lines after that. grep "Something" test.txt | sed -e '/{$variable}/,$b' -e 'd' I cant get it work, if I replace the $variable with the value it contains, it works fine... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: olkkis
10 Replies
aesub(1)																  aesub(1)

NAME
aesub - substitute and echo strings SYNOPSIS
aesub [ option... ] string ... aesub -Help aesub -VERSion DESCRIPTION
The aesub command is used to perform the usual aesub(5) substitutions on its command line arguments, and then echo them to the standard output. Shell Script Quoting The aesub(1) command is often used in shell scripts. It is important to remember that the shell will do its own substitutions on the com- mand line argument before it invokes the aesub(1) command. Usually, you don't want this to happen, so you need to use single (') quotes to do this. (The shell continues to substitute inside double (") quotes.) Quote aesub(1) arguments using ' single ' quotes. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -BaseLine This option may be used to specify that the project baseline is the subject of the command. -Change number This option may be used to specify a particular change within a project. See aegis(1) for a complete description of this option. -File filename Take the text to be substituted from the specified file. The filename `-' is understood to mean the standard input. -Help This option may be used to obtain more information about how to use the aesub program. -Project name This option may be used to select the project of interest. When no -Project option is specified, the AEGIS_PROJECT environment variable is consulted. If that does not exist, the user's $HOME/.aegisrc file is examined for a default project field (see aeu- conf(5) for more information). If that does not exist, when the user is only working on changes within a single project, the project name defaults to that project. Otherwise, it is an error. See also aegis(1) for options common to all aegis commands. All options may be abbreviated; the abbreviation is documented as the upper case letters, all lower case letters and underscores (_) are optional. You must use consecutive sequences of optional letters. All options are case insensitive, you may type them in upper case or lower case or a combination of both, case is not important. For example: the arguments "-project, "-PROJ" and "-p" are all interpreted to mean the -Project option. The argument "-prj" will not be understood, because consecutive optional characters were not supplied. Options and other command line arguments may be mixed arbitrarily on the command line, after the function selectors. The GNU long option names are understood. Since all option names for aesub are long, this means ignoring the extra leading '-'. The "--option=value" convention is also understood. EXIT STATUS
The aesub command will exit with a status of 1 on any error. The aesub command will only exit with a status of 0 if there are no errors. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See aegis(1) for a list of environment variables which may affect this command. See aepconf(5) for the project configuration file's project_specific field for how to set environment variables for all commands executed by Aegis. SEE ALSO
aesub(5) Available string substitutions. COPYRIGHT
aesub version 4.24.3.D001 Copyright (C) 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Peter Miller The aesub program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use the 'aesub -VERSion License' command. This is free software and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; for details use the 'aesub -VERSion License' command. AUTHOR
Peter Miller E-Mail: millerp@canb.auug.org.au //* WWW: http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/ Reference Manual Aegis aesub(1)