Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source What is your favorite Linux distro? Post 302256062 by masinick on Friday 7th of November 2008 07:54:42 PM
Old 11-07-2008
Quote:
Debian
For anyone new to gnu linux. don't feel you are limited to using Ubuntu because of its easy installation and ease of use.

Debian has never been easier to install. The Debian Lenny release I think is the slickest Debian release yet.

If you can manage to install Ubuntu, you can install Debian Lenny. If you are new and like how easy the Ubuntu desktop is to use, you will be surprised at how easy Debian has become. Debian just takes a little longer to install with the net install disc.

I have found the new Debian to be a first class distro. Very smooth, everything works the way it should, with no tweaking.

Debian Forever.
While I do not always use straight Debian, I am a HUGE fan of Debian based systems, and I periodically like to try out the Debian netinst. You are right. I would nominate Debian as the MOST IMPROVED distro in terms of ease of installation. It is a bit chatty compared to some of the quick, easy to install versions, but other than that minor inconvenience, it is just about as easy as most of them, and it is far more flexible than 95% of the distributions out there, giving ground only to the source and do it yourself varieties, which are far more complicated than Debian to set up, though they do provide the ultimate in flexibility. The ground that Debian strikes is in between and a very good balance for anyone requiring flexibility.

That said, I have two desktop and three laptop systems and I have sidux installed, along with many other distros, on them. sidux is an implementation based upon Debian Sid, and it really tames Sid, particularly if you add on the smxi script, which makes maintaining the system a trivial exercise. I call it Debian Sid on mood stabilizers and steroids.

If you want something really easy, very stable, and much more conservative, go instead with SimplyMEPIS. The 8.0 release is now in Beta test - the fourth Beta. Warren Woodford produces stable builds. Early builds may lack some hardware support, but the packages work perfectly. Defect counts are low. With Beta 4, hardware support is sharply improving. SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is based upon the upcoming release of Debian Lenny and it is aready, even in test form, a superb distribution, worth a look for any tester, but also good enough to be usable already for every day use.

If you want something lighter, give the MEPIS derived antiX M7.5 a try. It uses Debian Testing, which is Lenny, so it, too, is quite stable, very fast, and it offers a choice of Fluxbox or IceWM as the two default window managers to reduce the footprint.

All three of these have Debian foundations and are of high quality and I do not hesitate to recommend any of them. It all depends on what you need. If you want more control, then opt for the real thing, Debian, using the netinst. You cannot go wrong with any of these fine alternatives.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux distro

Hi I'm have old toshiba laptop(t1900) 486, 4mbRAM and ~120MB of hdd I'm looking for distro to suite my comp, no need for X windows but not enything that runs on FAT, just normal small Linux. Actually, *BSDs will do as well. If u know any distro that would do this I will be thankful for hint ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolk
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

6. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

7. Linux

Favorite Synchronizers for Win & Linux

I'm looking for a new file/directory synchronizer. I've been using unison because it works on both windows and linux. However, it often chokes on the very long directory paths and file names I encounter when backing up eclipse and eclipse workspace directories. I suppose one could argue that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLMENU(1)						     Debhelper							 DH_INSTALLMENU(1)

NAME
dh_installmenu - install Debian menu files into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installmenu [debhelperoptions] [-n] DESCRIPTION
dh_installmenu is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files used by the Debian menu package into package build directories. It also automatically generates the postinst and postrm commands needed to interface with the Debian menu package. These commands are inserted into the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb(1). FILES
debian/package.menu Debian menu files, installed into usr/share/menu/package in the package build directory. See menufile(5) for its format. debian/package.menu-method Debian menu method files, installed into etc/menu-methods/package in the package build directory. OPTIONS
-n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/postrm scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) update-menus(1) menufile(5) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2011-09-12 DH_INSTALLMENU(1)