Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: best way to reboot ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting best way to reboot ? Post 302256061 by glen.barber on Friday 7th of November 2008 07:52:34 PM
Old 11-07-2008
Or you could just type
Code:
reboot

as root.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reboot

Hi all, Quick question. Does anyone know what is the compination of buttons that I have to press to stop the start up so I can bring the system in a single user mode? I use HP Vis 9000 Thanks alot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guest100
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

coredump after every reboot

Every time I reboot our solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R) box, I get the messages below: # dmesg | grep dump Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname savecore: initial dump header corrupt Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname genunix: dump on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1 size 700 MB Mar 24... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
2 Replies

3. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I reboot SunBlade150 from CD?

I have a SunBlade 150 sparc machine. I get this box without root password. When I truned on the machine and typed ctrl -D to run under normal mode. The file system couldn't be mounted. If I don't care about current system and files on the machine and want to rebuild this box with solaris 10. Can I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
13 Replies

5. Solaris

system self reboot

dear all, I have 2 T2000 with solaris 10 and oracle 10g installed on it. these two servers are rebooted by itself. could anyone help me investigate the cause. the message log is attached thanx, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsmadi
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Reboot After Panic

Hi all, Does anybody know what kinds of events can prompt the following? I found our test db box had rebooted itself. I'd like to know how I can go about finding our why. Thanks folks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kozmo
1 Replies

7. AIX

update w/o reboot

Hi, The apar instructions is to reboot on the ibm site. Is there's a way to update apar w/o reboot? I think I heard something before that it's possible. Thanks in any idea you will type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two scripts after reboot

I have two scripts: scriptone.sh & scripttwo.sh I need to schedule them to run scriptone.sh then scripttwo.sh after the servers is rebooted ( only first reboot ) OS: AIX 6.1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
4 Replies

9. AIX

Reboot VIO - OK?

We've got two datacenters and in every datacenter 2 VIOs. The VIO manages the I/O of the LPARs. So: Is it possible to reboot the VIO without shuting down an LPAR:wall: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DiViN3
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Server reboot

Hi, The server got rebooted and below messages can be seen in /var/log/messages Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: Call Trace: <IRQ> <ffffffff80167420>{__alloc_pages+796} Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: <ffffffff80182814>{kmem_getpages+106} <ffffffff80183c16>{fallback_alloc+304}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

Name
       reboot - automatic reboot procedures

Syntax
       /etc/reboot [ -n ] [ -q ]

Description
       The  ULTRIX  system is booted by loading a kernel image, usually into memory at location zero and transferring to zero.	Because the system
       is not reenterable, the kernel image must be read in from disk each time the system is bootstrapped.

When the reboot of a running system is desired, is normally used.  If there are no users, can be used.  The command causes the disks to	be
       synced,	and  then  a multiuser reboot is initiated.  The system is booted and an automatic disk check is performed.  If the procedure suc-
       ceeds, the system is then brought up for the users.

The system will reboot itself after a power failure or after a crash, provided auto-restart is enabled on your system.  A consistency check
       of the file systems will be performed and, unless the check fails, the system will resume multiuser operations.

Options
       -n   Prevents the disks from being synced.

-q   Reboots quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first.

Files
       System code

See Also
       crash(8v), fsck(8), halt(8), init(8), newfs(8), rc(8), shutdown(8)

reboot(8)