Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers a dummy question...needs help... Post 302255637 by kaixinsjtu on Thursday 6th of November 2008 09:35:00 PM
Old 11-06-2008
so nice of you!! save my ass SmilieSmilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatwizrd
cut -d ' ' -f1

If you use ' ' as the delimiter you can get the field you want. Make sure you put a space between the ' things.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix dummy's question

:confused: Hi, 2 questions to get some insight. Thanks (1) I would like to add a prefix (XX00) in each row of the line in my text file and save a newly generated file another name. How to go about it. (2) How to insert a blank line into each row in my file. and save the file another name.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merry susana
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question from a dummy

okay so I just started this unix class and understood all the test questions but this "normal" question threy me through a loop :confused:. The question is Why are UNIX commands noninteractive and why is their output not usually preceededby header information? This question has been driving me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinnamonbear
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

A simple dummy question

Hello Everyone! changing from Microsoft to Macintosh, I connected my hard disk (nearly full) to the apple computer, which could not recognize it. I was prompt to "initialize it", unfortunately I DECIDED YES!!, but just for 1/100 of a second: now I cannot access the hard disk at all. Is still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NETTO68
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut awk dummy question :)

how to make cut and awk treat "a b" as a single column rather then two separate columns "a and b"? how to remove " symbol from "a b" so there is only a b? Please help Regards Karol (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sopel39
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummy question about /proc/cpuinfo

Perhaps this is a very dummy question but sorry I don't know other place to do it. We just buy a new cluster of Xeon machines but there is something I don't understand and perhaps someone can help me. The more /proc/cpuinfo produces the following output (just part of it). processor : 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhc
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dummy question on data process

I have a file which contains 6 columns. But I only need the first 3 columns. So I need to remove the last 3 columns. I checked 'cut' but it seems not working. So is there a command that could remove certain columns from a file? :( Thanks a lot!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a dummy question on data processing

Hi, everyone, I have a matrix, let's say: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 7 8 9 1 2 3 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... ......... (nxm matrix) Is there a simple command that can take certain specific rows out of the matrix? e.g., I want to take row 2 (4 5 6 7 8 9 ...) and row 4 (3 4 5 6 7 8... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

DNS dummy question

Hello everyone, I have a some doubt about DNS. We have connected to 2 ISPs /ISP#1 and ISP#2/. Our web site's dns zone is located on ISP#1. If connection to ISP#1 is down clients won't find our website. ISP#1 connection went down few times this month. So we are going to create our website's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummy question on awk

Hi, I have a file which has three columns and 200 rows. I would like to print an extra column say "disco" for every 10 th row starting from 4 th row. How is that possible? Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Dummy Question

Where can I get UNIX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ciao303
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)