Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reg chown
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reg chown Post 302255279 by ilayans on Thursday 6th of November 2008 06:34:27 AM
Old 11-06-2008
still i am getting same error

umask 000
create_file ! C executable
chown ilayans $fil_name

error is chown: txt123.txt: Operation not permitted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

chown

hello chown not change ownership before: 205:system ~kuku chown kuku:system ~kuku after no change 205:system ~kuku aix box can someone help me? ariec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chown issue

I have a strange problem in my Linux box (Suse). Recently I took over this box as admin even though I have no prior admin experience. Following is my issue I had following users under 'root' group initially user1 user2 user3 Since I did not like user ids under root group. I modifed these... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar_l
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chgrp and Chown ???

Hi Can anybody please let me know the usage of Chgrp command with an example??? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown

is there a difference in chown on a file or a directory? how do i chown a directory and all the contents? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chown - error

I have a file fin2009_4.txt.gz in the unix ftp server. Owner of the file is: ftpusr. -rw-r--r-- 1 ftpusr sap 0 Feb 19 10:19 fin2009_4.txt.gz When I try to delete this file after copying to my home folder, I am getting the following error. rm: fin2009_4.txt.gz1: override... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid1982
4 Replies

7. Solaris

chown

Hello My oracledatabase creats some xmlfiles. this files has the owner hugo. now I've a script (how runs als hugo2) and this script will insert this XMLFile into the database. But that doesn't work, because the owner of the files is wrong, and hugo has not the rights to insert this files into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Street
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

chown of a Directory

Hi All, I need your help in changing the owner of a directory. I have a created a direcotry TEST with user "abc"....for the group "ftp". Now i wnated to change the owner of the directory TEST. i used the below command to do so: chown abc:sftp TEST This is giving me an error... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pls help. can't do chown ????

I am trying to change the directory to owner of Sybase. But I get permission denied. I did login as root. newd1> ls -l total 58 drwxr-xr-x 2 prod develop 5 Oct 17 06:51 bin drwxr-xr-x 2 prod develop 7 Oct 17 07:18 etc dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using chown command.

I am working on a test machine. I just discovered that I have misunderstood the way the following command is run. chown -Rv some_user:users /some_folder/*This command do exactly what I want. Change the owner of every things from the named folder and in all child folders. But of course it leave... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
13 Replies
CHOWN(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  CHOWN(2)

NAME
chown, fchown, lchown - change ownership of a file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int chown(const char *path, uid_t owner, gid_t group); int fchown(int fd, uid_t owner, gid_t group); int lchown(const char *path, uid_t owner, gid_t group); DESCRIPTION
The owner of the file specified by path or by fd is changed. Only the super-user may change the owner of a file. The owner of a file may change the group of the file to any group of which that owner is a member. The super-user may change the group arbitrarily. If the owner or group is specified as -1, then that ID is not changed. When the owner or group of an executable file are changed by a non-super-user, the S_ISUID and S_ISGID mode bits are cleared. POSIX does not specify whether this also should happen when root does the chown; the Linux behaviour depends on the kernel version. In case of a non- group-executable file (with clear S_IXGRP bit) the S_ISGID bit indicates mandatory locking, and is not cleared by a chown. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
Depending on the file system, other errors can be returned. The more general errors for chown are listed below: EPERM The effective UID does not match the owner of the file, and is not zero; or the owner or group were specified incorrectly. EROFS The named file resides on a read-only file system. EFAULT path points outside your accessible address space. ENAMETOOLONG path is too long. ENOENT The file does not exist. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. ENOTDIR A component of the path prefix is not a directory. EACCES Search permission is denied on a component of the path prefix. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving path. The general errors for fchown are listed below: EBADF The descriptor is not valid. ENOENT See above. EPERM See above. EROFS See above. EIO A low-level I/O error occurred while modifying the inode. NOTES
In versions of Linux prior to 2.1.81 (and distinct from 2.1.46), chown did not follow symbolic links. Since Linux 2.1.81, chown does fol- low symbolic links, and there is a new system call lchown that does not follow symbolic links. Since Linux 2.1.86, this new call (that has the same semantics as the old chown) has got the same syscall number, and chown got the newly introduced number. The prototype for fchown is only available if _BSD_SOURCE is defined (either explicitly, or implicitly, by not defining _POSIX_SOURCE or compiling with the -ansi flag). CONFORMING TO
The chown call conforms to SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN. The 4.4BSD version can only be used by the superuser (that is, ordinary users cannot give away files). SVr4 documents EINVAL, EINTR, ENOLINK and EMULTIHOP returns, but no ENOMEM. POSIX.1 does not document ENOMEM or ELOOP error conditions. The fchown call conforms to 4.4BSD and SVr4. SVr4 documents additional EINVAL, EIO, EINTR, and ENOLINK error conditions. RESTRICTIONS
The chown() semantics are deliberately violated on NFS file systems which have UID mapping enabled. Additionally, the semantics of all system calls which access the file contents are violated, because chown() may cause immediate access revocation on already open files. Client side caching may lead to a delay between the time where ownership have been changed to allow access for a user and the time where the file can actually be accessed by the user on other clients. SEE ALSO
chmod(2), flock(2) Linux 2.1.81 1997-05-18 CHOWN(2)