Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 Zones cloning
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 Zones cloning Post 302255221 by vimes on Thursday 6th of November 2008 04:40:57 AM
Old 11-06-2008
This is quite an interesting subject. We've been exploring our possibilities with this as well. You definitely want to look into the detach/attach mechanism. Cloning isn't useful here, since you don't need to "clone" any data, it's already on the SAN. What you're doing is actually "moving" a zone. Have you looked at this?

Solaris Operating System - Move a Solaris Containers How To Guide

However, I must say, if you want a true "redundancy" solution you'll be wanting some kind of other solution sooner or later. Maybe two zones that are constantly up, that share their application data on the SAN....? Eventually it's much better to put up some kind of cluster: either on application level (e.g. Weblogic cluster, Oracle RAC) or else on OS level (SUN cluster). Or on both levels, if you're so inclined.

That said, there are still options left to play with the idea of being able to boot a zone on another machine at any time. We've been wondering about this as well: If we have zones on a SAN volume, can we boot them on another server? Well, if you use the detach/attach mechanism, it will work. You'll just have to recreate the zone config (zonecfg) on the second machine.
One easy way to do this, is to export the config on machine A and import it on machine B. You could even store the config on the SAN. If the SAN volume is visible on both machines, you could do:

Code:
machinea# zonecfg -z zone1 export > /SAN/zone_configs/zone1
machinea# zoneadm -z zone1 detach

machineb# zonecfg -z zone1 -f /SAN/zone_configs/zone1
machineb# zoneadm -z zone1 attach
machineb# zoneadm -z zone1 boot

Voila. There isn't more to it than that. (Make sure both machines have the same patchlevel and the attach should work fine).

However, this is all great, IF you can do the detach/attach. If you use this as a redundancy option, when machine A crashes you won't be able to do the detach... Do you know if there's a way to an attach without the detach? We haven't tested it yet. Either way, I'd be interested in hearing about any solutions you've implemented.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long Distance UNIX (Solaris) Cloning ?

Need some advice and guidance for this UNIX beginner. Due to downsizing I have inherited the SysAdmin duties..(sigh). Please excuse and forgive me if I use the wrong terms below.... Situation: We have UNIX ( Solaris 7/8/9( it varies) on Sun Ultra 10's) servers located at several global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Zones

Hi Every, I would like to know some questions on Zones??? 1.what are types of zones we can install in global zone??? 2.Exact difference between sparce root and whole root??? 3.can we change the ip address of a running zone??? 4.how to find our in which zone we are running and how many... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cloning a solaris system

I have several Solaris 8,9 and 10 servers. I need to refresh them and avoid doing any OS upgrades. I may have to apply patches when I am done due to the new hardware. My current servers have internal disk and my new target servers (same processor types) will have only SAN storage. Once the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzqv9p
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Problems cloning Solaris 10 x86 Installation to bigger HDD

Dear All, I have been trying to move my existing Solaris Installation (x86, 10/08) to a bigger HDD. So I created a 22 cylinder boot partition and used the rest of the space for a Solaris2 partition. Then I created slices same size like on my current disk. I copied all files with cpio and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigT79
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Cloning Solaris 10 perdicament

Hello and let me say at first, thank you for viewing this problem I have. From the top! Where I work, we have a Dell PowerEdge T300 X86 system running Solaris 10 8/07 s10x_u4wos_12b X86, and we realized, if this machine went down, we would be in trouble. So to fix that situation, I took it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrolinux
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Cloning Solaris 10 with zones

Hello, What is the best method to use to clone a Solaris 10 machine with zones, to ensure all software and config can be easily installed on new hardware? Thank You (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: da2013
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Migration of Solaris 10 on physical host to Solaris Zones

Hi All Kindly let me know how can I move Solaris 10 OS running update 10 on physical machine to another machine solaris zone running Solaris 10 update 11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Cloning RAID0 drives, Solaris 10u11

Hello all, this is my first time posting here. Where I work we have multiple servers (x3-2's) running Solaris 10u11 with 2 drives configured as RAID0, 300GB per. There are 4-6 open slots for drives to clone to. Past attempts to clone/backup these drives has failed. One of the machines is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eprlsguy
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Archiveadm system cloning - Solaris 11.4

Hi all, I am trying to use archiveadm to backup/clone an existing Solaris11.4 system. However, i failed at media creation with the error -> "Media can only be created from archives containing root-only data" root@xxx:/mnt/opt/software# zpool list NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
6 Replies
mkqdisk(8)						      Quorum Disk Management							mkqdisk(8)

NAME
mkqdisk - Cluster Quorum Disk Utility WARNING
Use of this command can cause the cluster to malfunction. SYNOPSIS
mkqdisk [-?|-h] | [-L] | [-f label] [-c device -l label] [-d [-d ...]] DESCRIPTION
The mkqdisk command is used to create a new quorum disk or display existing quorum disks accessible from a given cluster node. OPTIONS
-c device -l label Initialize a new cluster quorum disk. This will destroy all data on the given device. If a cluster is currently using that device as a quorum disk, the entire cluster will malfunction. Do not run this on an active cluster when qdiskd is running. Only one device on the SAN should ever have the given label; using multiple different devices is currently not supported (it is expected a RAID array is used for quorum disk redundancy). The label can be any textual string up to 127 characters - and is therefore enough space to hold a UUID created with uuidgen(1). -f label Find the cluster quorum disk with the given label and display information about it. -L Display information on all accessible cluster quorum disks. -d Increase debugging level. Specify multiple times for more information. Currently, specifying more than twice has no effect. SEE ALSO
qdisk(5), qdiskd(8), uuidgen(1) July 2006 mkqdisk(8)