Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foreign characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting foreign characters Post 302255060 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 09:40:38 PM
Old 11-05-2008
By 'get rid of' do you mean just plain old delete?
Try something like this:
Code:
tr -dc '[:print:]' < filename > newfilename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreign characters in bash

Hello, I'm trying to type in foreign characters (á, é, í, ñ...) from the bash when doing a Telnet to my UNIX account. So far it only allows me to type in the standard character set (up to ASCII 128). I need this to feed parameters to certains scripts and programs. Thanks! Miguel (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: czerny
4 Replies

2. Programming

Problem with including foreign characters in Lex rule

Hi, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with this problem: I have already added new code to several existing Lex rules to accept the following foreign characters: å ä ö Å Ä Ö æ Æ ø Ø ü Ü ß. The code looks like this: /*Nathalie Stern, 080121 - Add å ä ö Å Ä Ö æ Æ ø Ø ü Ü ß handling to function*/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nathalie1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

foreign characters

I have a flat file and have foreign characters in three fields. Can somebody tell me how to get rid of these special characters? It's very urgent because without this my process is failing. Thanks in advance. Angielina (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelina
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

foreign characters in flat file

Hey, Is there anyway I anks, Pocha (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaman
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression foreign language

Hello all, I read somewher that regular expressions work with ASCII table so when i type grep "*" file_name it uses values from ACII dec97(a) to dec122(z), right ? But if I have file containing diacritics, lets say (ordinary Slovak language characters): marek@cepi:~$ cat diakritika ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
9 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

login consol to foreign ip

every time, root (or any other user) logs into the system (Suse 9.3 Linux mail server) a connection to a foreign ip (96.124.236.183) shows up. It shows up even when I plug out the network cable and then restart the system. I don't know if this is a security hole and how to find out more about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SimonSalman
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Connection closed by foreign host

I am trying to connect to my HP server from remote machine. It gets connected but once credential are provided the connection is closed. adroit:/home/seo/hitendra 32 ] telnet myserv1 Trying... Connected to myserv1. Escape character is '^]'. Local flow control on Telnet TERMINAL-SPEED... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Day of the week or Month in a foreign language

Hey guys, i'm a very new shell script user. I've been looking everywhere for a proper script to display the day of the week or the month, accurately, in a foreign language of my choosing. Something where i can just type in the appropriate word in a foreign language in the script and get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibizagreg
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the foreign address?

hi i want to open port 9100 and the connect server could not to connect to my application this my results of netstat tulpn Active Internet connections (w/o servers) Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State tcp 0 0 localhost:9100 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammad alshar
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

netstat local and foreign address relationship.

Hi All, Can you please help me in understanding the relationship between local and foreign address in the output of netstat -an. Output 1 ---------- 162.103.162.37.50224 162.103.162.35.9511 49640 0 49640 0 ESTABLISHED 162.103.162.37.50263 162.103.162.35.9512 49640 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Girish19
1 Replies
tar(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    tar(4)

NAME
tar - format of tar tape archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure produced by (see tar(1)) is as follows (the array size defined by the constants is shown on the right): All characters are represented in ASCII. There is no padding used in the header block; all fields are contiguous. The fields magic, uname, and gname are null-terminated character strings. The fields name, linkname, and prefix are null-terminated char- acter strings except when all characters in the array contain non-null characters, including the last character. The version field is two bytes containing the characters (zero-zero). The typeflag contains a single character. All other fields are leading-zero-filled octal numbers in ASCII. Each numeric field is terminated by one or more space or null characters. The name and the prefix fields produce the pathname of the file. The hierarchical relationship of the file is retained by specifying the pathname as a path prefix, with a slash character and filename as the suffix. If the prefix contains non-null characters, prefix, a slash character, and name are concatenated without modification or addition of new characters to produce a new pathname. In this manner, path- names of at most 256 characters can be supported. If a pathname does not fit in the space provided, the format-creating utility notifies the user of the error, and no attempt is made to store any part of the file, header, or data on the medium. SEE ALSO
tar(1) STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tar(4)