Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if $varib contains non-numeric charctr then... Post 302255019 by ajp7701 on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 06:25:03 PM
Old 11-05-2008
if $varib contains non-numeric charctr then...

I've asked a similiar question to this, but this time it is different, a little more restrictive....I have a variable, $varib, that should always only contain numeric characters. I need a way to echo something if the variable contains a letter, space, or some other punctuation character, ,.!>?" etc.
Previously I used: grep '[a-zA-Z]' and that can work for letters, but what about the other characters?

#!/usr/bin/bash
#my checkbk
#input
echo "input number"
read varib
#if $varib contains a letter, space, comma, period, or other character
#echo something
#exit 1
#else
#echo good number, thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

non-numeric argument

quick question, I am trying to run this simple equation expr 2048 / 2.354 but get a "expr: non-numeric argument" error when ever its run. I believe it may be caused by the decimal point but I do not know how to remedy it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking numeric value

Hi, How can I check numeric value in shell? I am passing one parameter (integer) and I want to restrict any other characters except 0-9. ./script xyz 10 Here 2nd parameter (10) should be integer only. Can anyone help on this? Malay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric Validation

Hi, How to check whether an input to a shell script contain only numeric values. Is there any way to check against the following characters. & ( ) | \ " ' < > ` I've used the following way. echo $1 | grep "\{2\}$" if then (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric or not

Is there a simple way of determining whether a command line arguement is numeric or not?? I tried a search and didn't find anything similar... This is the 2nd time I've made this post.... It didn't appear that the first one showed up ?? Sorry if this is a duplicate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harrisjl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric or not?

Is there an easy way using a command or other routine for testing whether an argument on the command line is numeric? Just want to validate... I ran a search and didn't find a similar question.... Thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harrisjl
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

First argument is numeric or not

Hi everyone, I want my script to check if the first argument has only numbers or not. Im not sure what im doing wrong. This is how it looks like: if *") ] then echo 'The first arguement should only be in numeric' 1>&2 exit 1 else exit 0 fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkhider
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a Numeric Value?

Using shell, I have a variable, how can I check that variable for a numeric value such as "41.0"? My program needs to do one things if the numeric value is found, and another if something else such as a string of letter is found. is there a specific character that denotes a numeral? The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with numeric manupulations

I want to calculate the following expression in script: val=179584.0 ($val *3*16384)/(1073741824) $val will have a floating value. Thanks! I tried with following: n=$(echo |awk '{ print $val*3*16384 }') n=$(echo |awk '{ v=$val; print $v*3*16384 }') expr $val \* 3.0 \*... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
10 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)