Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gen. Question - Script calls multiple programs - Return Code Handling? Post 302254906 by jnanasakti on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 12:14:32 PM
Old 11-05-2008
Gen. Question - Script calls multiple programs - Return Code Handling?

General Question: If a script calls multiple external programs (external to the script, but still on unix), where do the return codes go? Let's say one of external programs fails, does the entire script fail and send a non-zero return code to the job scheduling software, or is the return code sent to the script itself?

My hunch, or slight remembrance is the script itself, but not sure.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return Code of multiple inner executions

Need some clarification on two topics and I apologize for the long post. Topic 1). I have a PERL script which sends output to the console. This is executed like a daemon script. I would like to capture the "print" commands of the script to a log file. How can this be done. Topic 2) Within the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exception-handling in Shell programs

Hi all, I am writing a set of scripts and some of these are nested within others. I want to be able to execute a single high-level script at the command-line, which in turn may invoke other scripts as required, and when a failure occurs in any of the nested scripts, I want to be able to track... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitu_inmage
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code of multiple java process

Hi, I have a unix shell script which is launching multiple java processes by calling a java class in a loop, but each time with a different set of parameters. Now I have to use the return code from each process in the script later. but how do i obtain the return code from each process... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama354
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Multiple hosts SSH NO PASSWORD - each time it overrides the last key gen

Hello, here is my problem: I have 20 machines that need to SSH into 1 machine throughout the day. The issue is every time I go through the process of putting my keys from one of the computers that needs to SSH to the server that needs to accept all the incoming SSH's it overrides the last one. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyoyo777
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling return & exit statements

I have 2 shell scripts the primary one would load the other one which will have functions defined in it. Script 1: . /apps/bin/Script 2 function if then continue... .... fi Script 2: function() (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with call of Java Programm & return code handling & output to several streams.

Hello Everybody, thanks in advance for spending some time in my problem. My problem is this: I want to call a java-Programm out of my shell skript, check if die return code is right, and split the output to the normal output and into a file. The following code doesn't work right, because in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danifunny
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Handling Signals in System Calls

What will happen if signal comes while a system call is being executed? How it will be handled? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for multiple accounts with auto-gen passwords

Hello, I am studying few things on unux and scripting. I need a script to create bulk users in unux. I need some assistance from you for creating 100 or more User IDs using a bash script: Here's my requirements: 1. I need to create 100 or even more user ids of different naming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shelldorado
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Handling multiple argument in shell script

Hi i have written a shell script that takes only single ip address from the user and calculates its latency and reliability, can you please tell me that what should be done if i want that user should enter 100 or 1000 ip address (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti_17
5 Replies
catch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  catch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?resultVarName? ?optionsVarName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. The catch command calls the Tcl interpreter recur- sively to execute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to the exceptional return code returned by evaluation of script. Tcl defines the normal return code from script evaluation to be zero (0), or TCL_OK. Tcl also defines four exceptional return codes: 1 (TCL_ERROR), 2 (TCL_RETURN), 3 (TCL_BREAK), and 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). Errors during evaluation of a script are indicated by a return code of TCL_ERROR. The other exceptional return codes are returned by the return, break, and continue commands and in other special situa- tions as documented. Tcl packages can define new commands that return other integer values as return codes as well, and scripts that make use of the return -code command can also have return codes other than the five defined by Tcl. If the resultVarName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the result of the script evaluation. When the return code from the script is 1 (TCL_ERROR), the value stored in resultVarName is an error message. When the return code from the script is 0 (TCL_OK), the value stored in resultVarName is the value returned from script. If the optionsVarName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to a dictionary of return options returned by evaluation of | script. Tcl specifies two entries that are always defined in the dictionary: -code and -level. When the return code from evaluation of | script is not TCL_RETURN, the value of the -level entry will be 0, and the value of the -code entry will be the same as the return code. | Only when the return code is TCL_RETURN will the values of the -level and -code entries be something else, as further described in the doc- | umentation for the return command. | When the return code from evaluation of script is TCL_ERROR, three additional entries are defined in the dictionary of return options | stored in optionsVarName: -errorinfo, -errorcode, and -errorline. The value of the -errorinfo entry is a formatted stack trace containing | more information about the context in which the error happened. The formatted stack trace is meant to be read by a person. The value of | the -errorcode entry is additional information about the error stored as a list. The -errorcode value is meant to be further processed by | programs, and may not be particularly readable by people. The value of the -errorline entry is an integer indicating which line of script | was being evaluated when the error occurred. The values of the -errorinfo and -errorcode entries of the most recent error are also avail- | able as values of the global variables ::errorInfo and ::errorCode respectively. | Tcl packages may provide commands that set other entries in the dictionary of return options, and the return command may be used by scripts | to set return options in addition to those defined above. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } There are more complex examples of catch usage in the documentation for the return command. SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), dict(n), error(n), return(n), tclvars(n) KEYWORDS
catch, error Tcl 8.5 catch(n)