Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How do I boost the Linux performace Post 302254854 by jayfriend on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 10:26:45 AM
Old 11-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by otheus
I second the notion that VMWARE is using a lot of memory. Are you running Windows within your Linux box? If not, I'd turn of VM or use another solution.

So if you end up still needing swap, get a second disk drive and put the swap partition on the second drive. Unless using scsi, that drive should be on the secondary IDE / STATA channel.
Thank you Otheus!

My PC is too slow even at boot up for some of the logins, it takes around 5 to 10 min to take me to the desktop after I enter the username and password.

I tested it without turning ON the VMware, but the performance hasn't changed much. Is it because I am using AMD processor. As far as I know it shouldn't be problem, please correct me if I am wrong.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

XML parsing performace comparison with windows using sax

sorry wrong forum..i dont know how to delete this or how to move it to HP UX section... I tested SAX XML parsing using xerces(http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-j/). I tested on Windows XP and HP-UX . I found that parsing time on HP is 5 times that on Windows. My server startup reads a lot of XML... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh.sid
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun Studio 10 + Boost 1.36

Is it possible to build Boost 1.35 using Sun Studio 10? I can build Boost 1.35 using Sun Studio 11 successful. However, i'm unable to build it using Sun Studio 10 using the exact method. I really apprecaite if any expert can help on this. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shingpui
2 Replies

3. Solaris

boost thread not accessible to boost::move error

Hi All I am working unders Sun Solaris and I am not "/opt/boost/boost/thread/detail/thread.hpp", line 344: Error: boost::thread::thread(boost::thread&) is not accessible from boost::move(boost::detail::thread_move_t<boost::thread>). Do you know if there are other solutions other than... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Performace and Tools

I always had helpful replies from this site when ever I have posted a question. My current problem is that I am trying to read a book titled "Solaris(TM) Performance and Tools: DTrace and MDB Techniques for Solaris 10" and I am frustrated because inspite of the fact that it is a good book I just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

5. Programming

Boost C++ ASIO Networking

Hi, Based on the following example in the Boost C++ website: www. boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/doc/html/boost_asio/example/echo/async_tcp_echo_server.cpp]doc/html/boost_asio/example/echo/async_tcp_echo_server.cpp I tried to create a similar TCP server that waits to accept a client connection... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanlccc
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I declare boost?

Hello all, I am trying to "make" a database system, VDB (Veritas Data Base), and when I run "make" I receive the following error: VDBException.h:19: error: expected `)' before '*' token VDBException.h:20: error: expected `)' before '*' token VDBException.h:43: error: expected `)' before '*'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
4 Replies

7. Programming

Boost.Test and CMake

Hi, I just started using CMake and the Boost Libraries. In this progress I encountered some problems. One of these problems is combining Boost unit tests with cmake. I don't know how to set the whole project up. I tried to set up a simple test project. This contains a main.cpp a comp.cpp and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCoyote
0 Replies

8. Programming

Using boost in program created by g++

I am trying to use the split provided by boost. I have a string and want to split on "/". string value = "trig/4"; Have no idea how to compile and link it. I have extracted boost in /chrisd/tomso-12.04/source/library/boost_1_52_0 In my program /raytrac.cc I have put ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies
disklabel(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      disklabel(4)

NAME
disklabel - Disk pack label SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/disklabel.h> DESCRIPTION
Each disk or disk pack on a system may contain a disk label which provides detailed information about the geometry of the disk and the par- titions into which the disk is divided. It should be initialized when the disk is formatted, and may be changed later with the disklabel program. This information is used by the system disk driver and by the bootstrap program to determine how to program the drive and where to find the file systems on the disk partitions. Additional information is used by the file system in order to use the disk most effi- ciently and to locate important file system information. The description of each partition contains an identifier for the partition type (standard file system, swap area, etc.). The file system updates the in-core copy of the label if it contains incomplete information about the file system. The label is located in sector number LABELSECTOR of the drive, usually sector 0 (zero) where it may be found without any information about the disk geometry. It is at an offset LABELOFFSET from the beginning of the sector, to allow room for the initial bootstrap. The disk sector containing the label is normally made read-only so that it is not accidentally overwritten by pack-to-pack copies or swap opera- tions; the DIOCWLABEL ioctl, which is done as needed by the disklabel program, allows modification of the label sector. A copy of the in-core label for a disk can be obtained with the DIOCGDINFO ioctl; this works with a file descriptor for a block or charac- ter (raw) device for any partition of the disk. The in-core copy of the label is set by the DIOCSDINFO ioctl. The offset of a partition cannot generally be changed, nor made smaller while it is open. One exception is that any change is allowed if no label was found on the disk, and the driver was able to construct only a skeletal label without partition information. Finally, the DIOCWDINFO ioctl operation sets the in-core label and then updates the on-disk label; there must be an existing label on the disk for this operation to succeed. Thus, the initial label for a disk or disk pack must be installed by writing to the raw disk. All of these operations are normally done using the disklabel program. RELATED INFORMATION
Files: disktab(4) Commands: disklabel(8) delim off disklabel(4)