Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX 5.2 performance question
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5.2 performance question Post 302254851 by bakunin on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 10:14:07 AM
Old 11-05-2008
First off I'd like to state that your data is not nearly complete. As this is a welcome occasion to go through a performance tuning procedure lets cover this with a little depth:

1. Before you begin: the SLA

The first and most vital thing about performance tuning is to get to an SLA, a service level agreement, with the customer. It doesn't matter if "customer" is a real customer or just another department down the hall - there has to be some agreement between systems administration and user about how fast is fast enough. Otherwise it will be one of these endless (and pointless) tuning orgies which leaves everybody involved only unsatisfied - and yet exhausted - after a lot of work.

Agree with your customer about some measureable fact and declare the tuning to be successfully once this limit is reached. Something like "the system has to do X transactions per second" or "the response time of this program should not exceed 2 seconds" or "the depth of this queue should not exceeed X entries" or "the system should process X GB of data per hour", etc., etc..

Don't forget: make it written! Users tend to "forget" what they have agreed to, so get a written statement agreed upon by all parties involved. In case you wondered: "measureable" means "countable". It could be a wee bit faster sometimes is NOT "measureable", its daydreaming - your job is not to make dreams come true, yes?

2. Get your data

The next step is to get the data - ALL data. First you need the unchanging things: machine specifications, software releases, configurations, customization, etc., etc., etc.

The following is AIX-specific, but you should easily be able to "port" this to other OSes. Also notice that the lists are incomplete in nature: add to them whatever seems to add to the picture if necessity arises:

a) Hardware:
prtconf output

b) Software releases
instfix -i | grep AIX_ML (or TL)
version information of the application program(s) in question

c) customization
ioo -a output
vmo -a output
schedo -a output
no -a output
lsps -a output
crontabs

3. Get your data - again

After this, analyze the machine in light of what the customers tell you. In which regard is it "slow" - bad I/O? slow disks? unresponsive network connections? Write that down and save it for future reference.

Only now get the real performance data. A good start is (again, this is AIX-minded, but could easily be translated to other OS flavours):

vmstat
iostat
netstat/entstat
svmon
lsps
ps

4. The tuning process

Only now the real tuning starts. Note that this is a repetitive process and be prepared to go over step 3 & 4 again and again. Take the data gathered in step 3 and analyze them. Create a theory what is causing which symptom. (Btw.: everything can be a symptom. If the machine is responding notably faster for 10 minutes and then slows down again you want to know why this happens.) Look out for any repeting pattern in the data. If you find something try to find an explanation for it. That doesn't necessarily have to mean you could change it, but it will further you understanding of the systems workings.

Once you have a theory (explanation) of what happens why put this theory to test: apply - CAREFULLY! - selected changes to the system and watch what happens (basically go back to step 3, then compare).

Be sure to make only one change at a time. Otherwise you won't know which change has caused which difference in the data. You can tune only the same way you walk: one step after the other. If you try to make more the one step at the same time chances are you just jump on one foot up and down, effectively getting nowhere.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

PS: It has taken me some time to write this and in the meantime you have already gotten very good advice, so i have deleted what i have written about your actual problem. Still i think that talking about the tuning process in general is a good idea which is why i wrote this article. I really do hope it helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX performance

Hiya all, I am a newbie sysadmin to AIX, i have worked on HPUX for 3 years. I have started a new role with in an IBM house and because there is me and one other there are a couple of issues I cannot work out: We havehad a production server slowing down processing batch jbs over the past... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
6 Replies

2. AIX

Performance testing on AIX

I'm doing performance testing for one application which works on AIX. But I don't know which performance parameters of memory need to be collected. Now, I just know very few: 1. page in 2. page out 3. fre They are all collected by "vmstat" command. I want to know, except for above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adasong
2 Replies

3. AIX

Performance issue in AIX 5.3

Is there is any way to increase the CPU utilization of a Embedded SQL program in AIX 5.3 .. for performance purpose. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gyanendra Awast
0 Replies

4. AIX

performance issue in AIX

Gurus, i have process that runs 5 times a day. it runs normally (takes about 1 hour) to complete in 3 runs but it is takes about ( 3 hrs to complete) two times So i need to figure out why it takes significanlty high time during those 2 runs. The process is a shell script that connect to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX performance issue

Hi Guys, This is the situation I am in. Provide your views and input where should I start? I have one P7 test server and a p520 production server. the job is taking pretty long on the P7 test server when compared to the P5 production server. below is the full detail. Informix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithinksgreen
5 Replies

6. AIX

Need some help for AIX performance monitoring

Hello I am new user of AIX; I have only basic knowledge of the UNIX commands, and I want to create script that will monitor the performance and resources usage on AIX 6.1 machine. Basically I wan to start a loop that will grab, every 10 seconds, the CPU usage, the memory usage, the disk usage,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adaher
1 Replies

7. AIX

Asynchronous I/O on AIX and DB performance

Hi, I would like to hear your thoughts about this. We are running our Data warehouse on DB2 DPF (partition environment) and I have notice that sometimes we hit the Asynchronous-I/O-Processes peak. DB2 relies heavily on Asynchronous I/O so I would believe this has an negative impact.We are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
10 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 5.3 performance problems

Hello, I encounter some performance issues on my AIX 5.3 server running in a LPAR on a P520. How do I investigate performance issues in AIX. Is there any kind of procedure that takes me to the steps to investigate my server and find the sub systems that is causing the issues? The performance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

9. AIX

Performance stats from AIX 6

Hi, I'm supposed to capture many performance stats on AIX 6 and stuck up with below: Priority queue Disk cache hit% Page out rate Swap out rate Memory queue I see vmstatis helpful for "page out" but not sure how to get the "rate". Could anyone please let me know how to get these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
4 Replies

10. AIX

IBM AIX I/O Performance Tuning

I have a IBM Power9 server coupled with a NVMe StorWize V7000 GEN3 storage, doing some benchmarks and noticing that single thread I/O (80% Read / 20% Write, common OLTP I/O profile) seems slow. ./xdisk -R0 -r80 -b 8k -M 1 -f /usr1/testing -t60 -OD -V BS Proc AIO read% IO Flag IO/s ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
8 Replies