Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat External NIC cards not pinging with each other in RHEL 5.1 Post 302254824 by funksen on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 09:03:53 AM
Old 11-05-2008
iptables may block icmp requests

try to reset the routing table on both sides

can you ping the default gateway from the 192.168.2.0 net, if there is one from one side?

switch/router may block different ip adresses too, check acls

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NIC cards for sunblade 100

I need to add a PCI NIC to a sunblade 100 running solaris 8. Im new to this and was hoping someone could give me some card names and models which will work for this system and has a driver for this sparc system. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Setup 2 NIC cards in one UNIX system

Hi; I have a UNIX box (SCO 5.0.2) with two (2) NIC cards. One card (NIC1) talks to a network 57.14.65.x/27. The other card NIC2) talks to users on 57.14.103.x and 57.14.105.x with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. If I set NIC2 to this subnet mask (255.255.0.0) it seems like the NIC traffic is now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: texaspanama
2 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

veritas and nic cards

Hello I have 2 machines with 3 NIC cards. When I setup veritas, I receive this message: e1000g1 has an IP address configured on it. It could be a public NIC on ken. Are you sure you want to use e1000g1 for the first private heartbeat link? As if e1000g1 should not have an IP address.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

routing issues with multiple NIC cards

I am running HP_UX 11.23 with 4 NIC cards (this is our TSM server) I have 4 subnets we are backing across. trying to keep traffic on their subnets. I only have one route statment should I add more. route add net 123.99.8.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 123.99.8.254 route add net 123.99.67.0 netmask... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myork
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP UX 9000 NIC CARDS

Hello, I am trying to move an HP UX from one locaion to another. The new location don't have any Fiber switches. On the back of my server I see 2 RJ 45 for console management the other for networking , the server also has a fiber NIC card. When I disconnec the fiber and want to user regular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Best reference for understanding low level info on nic cards drivers and functionality

Hi, What is the best reference that gives in detail on nic cards configuration , assigning multiple ip addresses to a single interface, netlink library etc and all basic stuff at this level..? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Help asap squid with 2 nic cards setup

I found an old post that talks about 2 nice cards and it is driven by the IP address .... but I didn't understand it because the 2 people skipped information for me the newbie.. Can someone help me... I have the proxy server setup and I believe I have enabled the 2nd nic card, I just need one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trilju2005
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How do you setup 2 nic cards for squid Ubuntu server?

I have a made my squid proxy, I now have add another nic card to an old CPU using Ubuntu server 12.04. I have seen another post similar however I am new and did not understand some of it. Something about redirecting IP address and IP table? I don't know how to do this.:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trilju2005
9 Replies

10. Red Hat

RHEL 5.5 NIC Bonding

I am new to linux. I have a falconstor CDP installation which runs on RHEL 5.5 (Tikanga). There is a vendor option to bond nics in either 802.3ad or round robin, I choose 802.3ad. The server is connected to a Cisco 3750 switch. The problem is dropped packets and eth03 wont come up in the PO... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjcooper
0 Replies
RDISC(8)						 System Manager's Manual: iputils						  RDISC(8)

NAME
rdisc - network router discovery daemon SYNOPSIS
rdisc [-abdfrstvV] [-p preference] [-T max_interval] [send_address] [receive_address] DESCRIPTION
rdisc implements client side of the ICMP router discover protocol. rdisc is invoked at boot time to populate the network routing tables with default routes. rdisc listens on the ALL_HOSTS (224.0.0.1) multicast address (or receive_address provided it is given) for ROUTER_ADVERTISE messages from routers. The received messages are handled by first ignoring those listed router addresses with which the host does not share a network. Among the remaining addresses the ones with the highest preference are selected as default routers and a default route is entered in the kernel routing table for each one of them. Optionally, rdisc can avoid waiting for routers to announce themselves by sending out a few ROUTER_SOLICITATION messages to the ALL_ROUTERS (224.0.0.2) multicast address (or send_address provided it is given) when it is started. A timer is associated with each router address and the address will no longer be considered for inclusion in the the routing tables if the timer expires before a new advertise message is received from the router. The address will also be excluded from consideration if the host receives an advertise message with the preference being maximally negative. Server side of router discovery protocol is supported by Cisco IOS and by any more or less complete UNIX routing daemon, f.e gated. Or, rdisc can act as responder, if compiled with -DRDISC_SERVER. OPTIONS
-a Accept all routers independently of the preference they have in their advertise messages. Normally rdisc only accepts (and enters in the kernel routing tables) the router or routers with the highest preference. -b Opposite to -a, i.e. install only router with the best preference value. It is default behaviour. -d Send debugging messages to syslog. -f Run rdisc forever even if no routers are found. Normally rdisc gives up if it has not received any advertise message after after soliciting three times, in which case it exits with a non-zero exit code. If -f is not specified in the first form then -s must be specified. -r Responder mode, available only if compiled with -DRDISC_SERVER. -s Send three solicitation messages initially to quickly discover the routers when the system is booted. When -s is specified rdisc exits with a non-zero exit code if it can not find any routers. This can be overridden with the -f option. -p preference Set preference in advertisement. Available only with -r option. -T max_interval Set maximum advertisement interval in seconds. Default is 600 secs. Available only with -r option. -t Test mode. Do not go to background. -v Be verbose i.e. send lots of debugging messages to syslog. -V Print version and exit. HISTORY
This program was developed by Sun Microsystems (see copyright notice in source file). It was ported to Linux by Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>. It is now maintained by YOSHIFUJI Hideaki <yoshfuji@skbuff.net>. SEE ALSO
icmp(7), inet(7), ping(8). REFERENCES
Deering, S.E.,ed "ICMP Router Discovery Messages", RFC1256, Network Information Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, Calif., September 1991. SECURITY
rdisc requires CAP_NET_RAW to listen and send ICMP messages and capability CAP_NET_ADMIN to update routing tables. AVAILABILITY
rdisc is part of iputils package and the latest versions are available in source form at http://www.skbuff.net/iputils/iputils-cur- rent.tar.bz2. iputils-121221 10 June 2014 RDISC(8)