Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat External NIC cards not pinging with each other in RHEL 5.1 Post 302254806 by funksen on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 07:45:15 AM
Old 11-05-2008
you must define a route, telling your system to ping the net 192.168.2.0 not over the default gateway, 192.168.1.1 or 254, or whatever is defined, instead over interface 192.168.2.10

before you set the route, pls post the output of netstat -rn

route add -net 192.168.2.0/24 ethx

where ethx ist the interface with the 192.168.2.x ip

tells your system to ping every ip in the range 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.254 over the interface with the ip 192.168.2.x

Edit: make sure you have a console connection, or another possibility to reach the server without network when you change routes

and the route assumes a netmask of 255.255.255.0
if theres a routing defined between the two networks in your company, then maybe it's another problem
ask your network team if this networks are routet

Last edited by funksen; 11-05-2008 at 08:58 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NIC cards for sunblade 100

I need to add a PCI NIC to a sunblade 100 running solaris 8. Im new to this and was hoping someone could give me some card names and models which will work for this system and has a driver for this sparc system. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Setup 2 NIC cards in one UNIX system

Hi; I have a UNIX box (SCO 5.0.2) with two (2) NIC cards. One card (NIC1) talks to a network 57.14.65.x/27. The other card NIC2) talks to users on 57.14.103.x and 57.14.105.x with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. If I set NIC2 to this subnet mask (255.255.0.0) it seems like the NIC traffic is now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: texaspanama
2 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

veritas and nic cards

Hello I have 2 machines with 3 NIC cards. When I setup veritas, I receive this message: e1000g1 has an IP address configured on it. It could be a public NIC on ken. Are you sure you want to use e1000g1 for the first private heartbeat link? As if e1000g1 should not have an IP address.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

routing issues with multiple NIC cards

I am running HP_UX 11.23 with 4 NIC cards (this is our TSM server) I have 4 subnets we are backing across. trying to keep traffic on their subnets. I only have one route statment should I add more. route add net 123.99.8.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 123.99.8.254 route add net 123.99.67.0 netmask... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myork
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP UX 9000 NIC CARDS

Hello, I am trying to move an HP UX from one locaion to another. The new location don't have any Fiber switches. On the back of my server I see 2 RJ 45 for console management the other for networking , the server also has a fiber NIC card. When I disconnec the fiber and want to user regular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Best reference for understanding low level info on nic cards drivers and functionality

Hi, What is the best reference that gives in detail on nic cards configuration , assigning multiple ip addresses to a single interface, netlink library etc and all basic stuff at this level..? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Help asap squid with 2 nic cards setup

I found an old post that talks about 2 nice cards and it is driven by the IP address .... but I didn't understand it because the 2 people skipped information for me the newbie.. Can someone help me... I have the proxy server setup and I believe I have enabled the 2nd nic card, I just need one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trilju2005
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How do you setup 2 nic cards for squid Ubuntu server?

I have a made my squid proxy, I now have add another nic card to an old CPU using Ubuntu server 12.04. I have seen another post similar however I am new and did not understand some of it. Something about redirecting IP address and IP table? I don't know how to do this.:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trilju2005
9 Replies

10. Red Hat

RHEL 5.5 NIC Bonding

I am new to linux. I have a falconstor CDP installation which runs on RHEL 5.5 (Tikanga). There is a vendor option to bond nics in either 802.3ad or round robin, I choose 802.3ad. The server is connected to a Cisco 3750 switch. The problem is dropped packets and eth03 wont come up in the PO... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjcooper
0 Replies
AN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     AN(4)

NAME
an -- Aironet Communications 4500/4800 wireless network adapter driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device an device wlan Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_an_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The an driver provides support for Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 wireless network adapters and variants, including the following: o Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 series o Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 series o Xircom Wireless Ethernet Adapter Support for these devices include the ISA, PCI and PCMCIA varieties. The Aironet 4500 series adapters operate at 1 and 2Mbps while the Aironet 4800 series and Cisco adapters can operate at 1, 2, 5.5 and 11Mbps. The ISA, PCI and PCMCIA devices are all based on the same core PCMCIA modules and all have the same programming interface, however unlike the Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE cards, the ISA and PCI cards appear to the host as normal ISA and PCI devices and do not require any PCCARD support. The PCMCIA Aironet cards require PC Card support, including the kernel pccard(4) driver. ISA cards can either be configured to use ISA Plug and Play or to use a particular I/O address and IRQ by properly setting the DIP switches on the board. (The default switch setting is for Plug and Play.) The an driver has Plug and Play support and will work in either configuration, however when using a hard-wired I/O address and IRQ, the driver configuration and the NIC's switch settings must agree. PCI cards require no switch settings of any kind and will be automatically probed and attached. All host/device interaction with the Aironet cards is via programmed I/O. The Aironet devices support 802.11 and 802.3 frames, power manage- ment, BSS (infrastructure) and IBSS (ad-hoc) operation modes. The an driver encapsulates all IP and ARP traffic as 802.11 frames, however it can receive either 802.11 or 802.3 frames. Transmit speed is selectable between 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5.5Mbps, 11Mbps or "auto" (the NIC automati- cally chooses the best speed). By default, the an driver configures the Aironet card for infrastructure operation. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). DIAGNOSTICS
an%d: init failed The Aironet card failed to become ready after an initialization command was issued. an%d: failed to allocate %d bytes on NIC The driver was unable to allocate memory for transmit frames in the NIC's on-board RAM. an%d: device timeout The Aironet card failed to generate an interrupt to acknowledge a transmit command. SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), miibus(4), netintro(4), wlan(4), ancontrol(8), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The an device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
The an driver was written by Bill Paul <wpaul@ee.columbia.edu>. BSD
July 16, 2005 BSD