Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to restore a dump file on the disk Post 302254799 by merope on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 07:22:37 AM
Old 11-05-2008
How to restore a dump file on the disk

Hi all,

i am a real dummy to unix and in need of help.My platform is Sun solaris(5.9)

I have a dump file, an oracle cold backup taken with ufsdump command. This dump file resides on the disk, not the tape.
I want to extract this dump file to a directory. But i cant, i read about ufsrestore command and i think it can only restore from the tape?
What can i do to extract this dump file? thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restore dump - help

I have a file with .dmp.gz. I am trying to uncompress this file in a new directory. was able to use gzip to take off the gz extension. How do I get the .dmp extension off? Will ufsrestore work on SUN system? HELP! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankera
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now. The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ". This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtoombs
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

restore mysql dump file in many remote servers?

Hi all, I want to restore DB file in many mysql servers, i already using script for sending the dumpfile in all servers, but it's just annoying if i have to restore the dumpfile in all servers, i want just execute 1 script, and will restore in all remote mysql servers. I make script but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump and restore problem

Hi all, having problem with dump & restore for cloning simple linux system. The command is : dump -0u -f /temp/var.dump /dev/sda5 But somehow the result displayed: ~~~~~~ dump: ACLs in inode #1250760 won't be dumped: Inappropriate ioctl for device dump: ACLs in inode #1250761 won't be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mycoolwater
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump and Restore

I want to copy over the contents of one partition on hard drive A to another partition on hard drive B. Using DD command caused problems since it overwrote the partition information on hard drive B and made hard drive B's partition size the same as the one on partition A. Our department manager... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump/restore of a fs with 100 of millions hardlinks

Hi :-) i have a dump of a backupdisk (~540GB / ext3). The Backups have some 100 millions of hardlinks (backups are created with storeBackup). The OS is linux. A restore of a directory ended after some days with the errormessage "no memory to extend symbol table" The restore of the complete... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: turricum
0 Replies

8. Solaris

restore dump from veritas format using ufs file system

hi all i have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

9. AIX

Dd of disk contains vg and restore on another m/c

Hello gurus, I have a requirement of backup of a vg containing a file system. vg1 contains 3 LV each of 50G size. They are coming out from ~350G harddisk. and only 150G is being used. Now, i want to dd this hdisk and restore to another machine. I am not sure how to go about this. Can some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishekdave
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to restore from disk?

Our new rx2800 server is running HP-UX 11iV3. We have a cron script to perform an fbackup to a file on disk nightly. Now I'm trying to do a test restore, but I can't seem to find the correct way to specify the backup file as the source in frecover. Can anyone point me in the right direction? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
5 Replies
AMFETCHDUMP(8)						  System Administration Commands					    AMFETCHDUMP(8)

NAME
amfetchdump - extract backup images from multiple Amanda tapes. SYNOPSIS
amfetchdump [-c|-C|-L] [-p|-n] [-a] [-O directory] [-d device] [-h] [--header-file filename] [--header-fd fd] [-o configoption...] config hostname [disk [ date [ level [ hostname [...] ] ] ]] DESCRIPTION
Amfetchdump pulls one or more matching dumps from tape or from the holding disk, handling the reassembly of multi-tape split dump files as well as any tape autochanger operations. It will automatically use the Amanda catalog to locate available dumps on tape, in the same way that the find feature of amadmin(8) lists available dumps. The hostname, diskname, datestamp, and level dump specifications are further described in amanda-match(7). Note that at minimum a hostname must be specified. Unless -p is used, backup images are extracted to files in the current directory named: If a changer error occurs, or the -d option is given, then amfetchdump prompts for each required volume. hostname.diskname.datestamp.dumplevel OPTIONS
-p Pipe exactly one complete dump file to stdout, instead of writing the file to disk. This will restore only the first matching dumpfile (where "first" is determined by the dump log search facility). -h Output the amanda header as a 32K block to same output as the image. --header-fd fd Output the amanda header to the numbered file descriptor. --header-file filename Output the amanda header to the filename. -d device_or_changer Restore from this device or changer instead of the default, prompting for each volume. -O directory Output restored files to this directory, instead of to the current working directory. -c Compress output, fastest method available. -C Compress output, smallest file size method available. -l Leave dumps in the compressed/uncompressed state in which they were found on tape. By default, amfetchdump will automatically uncompress when restoring. -a Assume that all tapes are already available, via tape changer or otherwise, instead of prompting the operator to ensure that all tapes are loaded. -n Do not reassemble split dump files at all, just restore each piece as an individual file. -o configoption See the "CONFIGURATION OVERRIDE" section in amanda(8). EXAMPLES
All the examples here assume your configuration is called SetA. Here's a simple case, restoring all known dumps of the host vanya to the current working directory. $ amfetchdump SetA vanya A more likely scenario involves restoring a particular dump from a particular date. We'll pipe this one to GNU-tar as well, to automatically extract the dump. $ amfetchdump -p SetA vanya /home 20051020 | gtar -xvpf - CAVEATS
Amfetchdump is dependent on accessing your server's config, tape changer, and (normally) dump logs. As such, it's not necessarily the most useful tool when those have all been wiped out and you desperately need to pull things from your tape. Pains have been taken to make it as capable as possible, but for seriously minimialist restores, look to amrestore(8) or dd(8) instead. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda-match(7), amadmin(8), amrestore(8) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
John Stange <building@nap.edu> National Academies Press Ian Turner <ian@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMFETCHDUMP(8)