Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing and calculating difference. Post 302254776 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 06:35:27 AM
Old 11-05-2008
Please go to the FAQ and read the date arithmetic thread - look for the 'datecalc' script by Perderabo.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating the time difference, when the script was executed and the currenent file

Hi, I has created the shell script in HP_UX 11.23 and using the command, echo $(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) > $DIR/alert, placing the time of running the script into a file alert. I want to compare the time in the above file alert with the current time.If difference is more than 5 min, then print the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: velocitnitin
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl parsing compared to Ksh parsing

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w $ip = "$ARGV"; $rw = "$ARGV"; $snmpg = "/usr/local/bin/snmpbulkget -v2c -Cn1 -Cn2 -Os -c $rw"; $snmpw = "/usr/local/bin/snmpwalk -Os -c $rw"; $syst=`$snmpg $ip system sysName sysObjectID`; sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the difference between dates

Hello! i need to find files lower and bigger that one date i pass, i search in the man find, but i didn't find anything, the only that i find is the parameter -mtime, in this parameter i can pass a number of days, but i need to know the difference between dates, any built-in function for do... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: claw82
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Calculating time difference between many directories in UNIX

A report needs to come some what similar to this No of elements Stream Batch No Load time A B C D A,B,C im able to get quite easily wc -l /usr/local/intranet/areas/prod/output/SRGW_0?/*/MESSAGE_T.dat O/P of above command. A B C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peckenson
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the epoch time from standard time using awk and calculating the duration

Hi All, I have the following time stamp data in 2 columns Date TimeStamp(also with milliseconds) 05/23/2012 08:30:11.250 05/23/2012 08:30:15.500 05/23/2012 08:31.15.500 . . etc From this data I need the following output. 0.00( row1-row1 in seconds) 04.25( row2-row1 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

7. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble calculating difference in number of days

Hi all, I have a requirement to calculate the difference of number of days of time stamp of a file and system date and if the difference is greater than 15 days it should prompt as previous month file otherwise current month file. Below is the code i used and it is working fine till now. (You... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating Time difference Between two Rows in Linux

16:45:51 10051 77845 16:45:51 10051 77845 16:46:52 10051 77846 16:46:53 10051 77846 Match the last PID then subtract second line time with first line. Please help me with any command or script. working in media company on a project OS: RHEl7 tried command: awk 'function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							 BSD Games Manual						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic -- quiz on simple arithmetic SYNOPSIS
arithmetic [-o +-x/] [-r range] DESCRIPTION
arithmetic asks you to solve problems in simple arithmetic. Each question must be answered correctly before going on to the next. After every 20 problems, it prints the score so far and the time taken. You can quit at any time by typing the interrupt or end-of-file character. The options are as follows: -o By default, arithmetic asks questions on addition of numbers from 0 to 10, and corresponding subtraction. By supplying one or more of the characters +-x/, you can ask for problems in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, respectively. If you give one of these characters more than once, that kind of problem will be asked correspondingly more often. -r If a range is supplied, arithmetic selects the numbers in its problems in the following way. For addition and multiplication, the numbers to be added or multiplied are between 0 and range, inclusive. For subtraction and division, both the required result and the number to divide by or subtract will be between 0 and range. (Of course, arithmetic will not ask you to divide by 0.) The default range is 10. When you get a problem wrong, arithmetic will remember the numbers involved, and will tend to select those numbers more often than others, in problems of the same sort. Eventually it will forgive and forget. arithmetic cannot be persuaded to tell you the right answer. You must work it out for yourself. DIAGNOSTICS
``What?'' if you get a question wrong. ``Right!'' if you get it right. ``Please type a number.'' if arithmetic doesn't understand what you typed. SEE ALSO
bc(1), dc(1) BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD