Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash - add backslash in front of variables w/ spaces Post 302254594 by trey85stang on Tuesday 4th of November 2008 09:31:24 PM
Old 11-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
Thanks $deity this conclusion is wrong. Just enclose your variable content in double quotes to protect the content:

Code:
myvar="File 1/File 2/this is my file.txt"

and pass it this way:

Code:
subfunc "$myvar"

inside the function (or the external script, its the same for that matter) use it also protected. Example:

Code:
function subfunc
{
local myvar="$1"      # notice the double quotes

some_command "$some_path/$myvar" another_arg

return 0
}

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks for the suggestions. I am unable to try it at this moment... since myvar is in a loop being generated by the find command. How could I go about adding the double quotes to it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh, ksh: command to remove front spaces from a string?

dear pro-coders, is there any command out there that takes out the front spaces from a string? sample strings: 4 members 5 members 3 members but it has to be like so: 4 members 5 members 3 members (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use backslash and variables in sed

I have a line that contains backslashes in which I want sed to substitute text with variables. The line; \\s008\2033330user$ I want to change this in \\s008.ourschool.com\2033330user$ I now use this script: USER=2033330user sed 's/\\'"$USER"'/.ourschool.com\\'"$USER/" This doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tubbie
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace spaces excluding those within double quotes and after backslash?

In bash or perl, I would like to know how to substitute a null character (0x00) for every white space without changing the white spaces inside the block of double quotes and the white space immediately following a backslash. Suppose that sample.txt consists of the following line. "b 1" c\ 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a backslash in front of square brackets with sed

I'm trying to convert this line: to \ with sed. This is what I have so far: sed -e 's/\]*\)\]/\\\\\/' but this still gives me . Any suggestions? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: lehaste
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: backslash in front of integer like \32768

In Perl, what does a backslash preceding an integer do like \32768 ? The $/ section of perlvar writes: local $/ = \32768; # or \"32768", or \$var_containing_32768 How is \32768 different from just 32768 without backslash? I do not understand the backslashes in \"32768" and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LessNux
1 Replies

6. Linux

How to add \ in front of $ in a script with vi?

Please help to provide command in vi to add \ in front of $ so it does not interpret next character. rm interfaces/DART/WEB-INF/classes/DART/util/TotalDisconnectUtil$1.class rm interfaces/DART/WEB-INF/classes/DART/util/TotalDisconnectUtil$2.class rm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ywu081006
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text in front of variable

I am just trying to add specific text in front of a ${variant} but can not seem to get the syntax correct. I have tried sed -i '$a NM_004004.5' ${variant} and printf "NM_004004.5:%s\n" ${variant} with no luck. Thank you :). (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a semi-tailing backslash when passing (escaped) variables to script

Heyas Figured me had a 'typo' in tui-conf-set, i went to fix it. Now, i also figured, it might be nice to have tui-conf-set report (to console, not only exit code) wether it could save the variable to the file or not. This said, I appended this code: (the tui-title and tui-echo lines are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: syntax to insert N spaces in front of a string

Dear all, I would like to insert N blankspaces in front of a string using sed command To give an example (N=10), I tried that code: $ echo "abcd" | sed 's/^/ \{10,\}&/' but I failed, by obtaining that result: {10,}abcd Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add backslash and apostrophe to string in variable.

Hi All I want to add backslash and apostrophe to variable in my bash script. I have my variable: USER_LIST=USER1,USER2,USER3 and I want something like this: USER_LIST_DEL=/'USER1/',/'USER2/',/'USER3/' any ideas ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primo102
1 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux