Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to build a command in a script Post 302254554 by babajuma on Tuesday 4th of November 2008 05:06:58 PM
Old 11-04-2008
How to build a command in a script

Hi All

I am trying to build a script that will take data from a tab separated file and use that to split up a quicktime file. So far the code is as follows

#!/bin/sh
#test parsing of data

#fix excel file output returns
cat $1 | tr "\r" "\n" > $1.fix
printf "\n" >> $1.fix
mv $1.fix $1

FILE=$1

coffee_out=""
coffee_fill="‑splitAt"
coffee_end="‑self‑contained ‑o output.mov $2"
textArray[0]="" # hold text
c=0 # counter
# read whole file in loop

while read c_out line
do
if test $c_out #check there is a value especial for /n for the fix from excel
then
textArray[$c]="$c_out $line" # store line
c=$(expr $c + 1) # increase counter by 1
coffee_out="$coffee_out $coffee_fill $c_out"
fi
done < $FILE

coffee_out="$coffee_out $coffee_end"

echo $coffee_out
splitmovie "$coffee_out"
#The final output should look something like
#splitmovie -splitAt 2 -splitAt 3 -self-contained -o output.mov recode.mov
exit 0

I call the script with two arguments the text file and the quicktime

./split.sh testdata.txt recode.mov

I am a newbie at writing scripts so it could be something really dumb.

I think it is most likely to be me using the wrong way to set the input for splitmovie.

Thanks for your help

Michael

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to build a script

I have file which has "A" character in more than 1000 lines and I want replace this "A" with "f". There is also "A" which I don't want to replace at the last line. Currently, I use this script to replace them one by one :g/A/s//f/g Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mewalter
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Build

I have a 3 status option 1 , 4 , 6 1 - Active 4 - Temp.. 6 - Deactive I want to build a script which when it finds either of the status options (1,4,6), then returns the relevant string. txs :confused: (3 Replies)
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to build a script

I have this script sed -e '$q' -e 's/I/D/g' <inputfile> outfile which replaces I by D... I have to run this script in 90 files which their filename starts with CD*. I want to call all these files and execute this command once. Or schedule it to be executed at 1600hrs every day. I want... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build script for all shells

Hi, I made a build script for the product I am working on. The script was made in the /bin/sh shell. My first line in the script (after the #! /bin/sh and following # lines ) were, if ; then /bin/sh fi; It works well with my sh shell. I run the script as sh build.sh Now I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to build a command into a string rather than execute the command

I'm trying to populate a command line into a variable. It appears to be executing, instead. Here's an example: mycmd='' if ...; then $mycmd='sudo ' fi $mycmd=$mycmd 'sed -i prev s/aaa/bbb/' $myfile res=`$mycmd` (I'm also not sure of the best way to execute the command from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littlejon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help: Build a sed command and execute it in a script

I am using an array to store some data (keys e.g 47975081_1215781266128), it can be assumed that it is key to other data. I want extract data from a file based on a couple of keys (range) and store the resulting data in a variable using the following command: sed -n... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command to build menu

Hello everyone. I am using the select command to build a menu, here is my question: Is it possible to generate a menu which contains several sections and have a separator between the sections without having a selection number generated in front of the separator? This is a sample of what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec a build command (adduser) in a script

Hi, With a awk script i create a "adduser line" $ cat /tmp/tmp.ldif | awk -f ldif2adduser.awk adduser --uid 1002 --gid 1000 --gecos "ROUSSIN Guy" --home /homeL/guy --shell /bin/bash --disabled-password guy If i cut and paste this line, all is fine. But in a shell script i get errors : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guyr
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding SDK Build on Kernel Source Build

Hi, So I downloaded this kernel source and was able to build it successfully. But I want to add this SDK source code inside, can anyone help me how to do this? Note that the SDK source can be built by itself. I added the SDK in the main Makefile: init-y := init/ #added SDK... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build.xml invocation by Build Script

Hi I have a build.xml file and I can run it on Windows via cmd. Now I want to write a script to invoke the same. Is there a way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies
coreadm(2)							System Calls Manual							coreadm(2)

NAME
coreadm - application core file administration SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
system call is used to specify the location and pattern for core files produced by abnormally terminating processes. See core(4). This system call can be used to specify a system wide location for core file placement and/or a process specific pattern. The structure, is used to specify a system wide or a per-process core file pattern and also specify the current system wide core file set- tings. is defined in the header Member Type Member Name Description char c_pattern The core file pattern. uint64_t c_flags Core file settings. Parameters is expected to be set to It is critical for future backward compatibility that the macro itself be used and not its value. is the core file pattern. A core file name pattern is a normal file system path name with embedded variables, specified with a leading character, that are expanded from values in effect when a core file is generated by the operating system. An expanded pattern length greater than will be truncated to The possible values are: c_flags is used to control the system wide core file settings. The flag values can be combination of Enable/Disable creation of global core files. Enable/Disable creation of per-process core files. Enable/Disable creation of global core files for processes. Enable/Disable creation of per-process core file for processes. If a flag value is not set, then the option is disabled. For per-process core file setting, c_flags can either be 0 or The former disables core file creation (for that process) and the latter enables it. c_pid Should be a (valid) pid of a target process or 0. If c_pid is zero, then the settings are applied to global core file settings. If c_pid is 1, then the settings are applied to init(1M). c_in If non-NULL, then the values will be used as new core file settings. If this is NULL, then the c_out parameter is expected to be non-NULL and system call is used to interrogate the current settings. c_out If non-NULL, the current settings are returned in this parameter. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns 0. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and does not change the core file settings if the effective user-ID of the calling process is not a user having appropriate privileges. The input or output parameter passed to is an invalid address. The core file pattern or flags is invalid. The specified PID is non-zero and does not exist. EXAMPLES
1. Enable global core file creation using the pattern (core.process-ID.machine-name) in the location 2. Enable per-process core file pattern for the process-ID passed in as argument. The core file will be placed in The pattern is (core.process-ID.time-stamp). 3. Enable a per-process pattern of core.CUP-ID for all processes in the system (init(1M) core file setting). NOTE: This has to be run during system startup or reboot the machine after setting this for the settings to take full effect. SEE ALSO
coreadm(1M), exec(2), fork(2), pstat(2), ttrace(2), core(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
coreadm(2)