Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Unable to save my configurationsettings Post 302254383 by bakunin on Tuesday 4th of November 2008 09:27:41 AM
Old 11-04-2008
You have to set these settings in every machine you get an account separately. Save your .kshrc and .profile files and copy them (more securely: merge them if there are existing ones) at your new accounts $HOME directory. Most of us have created complex files this way, reflecting the very personal style of working with the machine.

My own .kshrc is close to 100 lines long and contains some functions i like (for instance a "directory stack" which allows me to "roll back" or "roll forward" the directories i have been in - quite handy for working in several directories at the same time which saves a lot of typing on "cd ...." commands, etc.). It has grown that way over time and sometimes i find something new and incorporate it to my "arsenal".

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

save me!

Hi! can anyone tell me how to save a file from command line? Any help appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hufs375
2 Replies

2. Programming

cannot save file...

Hello! I have a problem: I compile some function, which must save file: ===================== // prog.cpp void save_file(){ FILE *fs = fopen("file.txt", "w"); if(!fs) cerr<< "cannot save"; fprintf(fs, "This is a text file."); fclose(fs) } ===================== If i compile it from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to save files?

i just typed out a letter but want to hang on to it i typed it out in vi and was wondering how to save and exit from it? also how do you S&E from emacs since those are the two editors i mainly use any help would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiei
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

save

hi i would like someone to assist me to find out how i can Write a script called save which copies a file into a special directory, and another called recover which copies a file back out of the special directory. The user of the script should not be aware of the location of the special directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swainaina
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't save crontab with vi

I edit crontab with vi editor, i delete the lines i wanted, but i can't save! i tried the :w, :wq, ZZ commands and it seems like vi is unfamiliar with it. any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: idan_cn
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't save a file

There is a file A.lcf. I am updating the file and saving it . But as soon as I am logging off and then logging in I am finding that the updated changes are not there in the file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suchismitasuchi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to save changes to a file

is i want to sort or delete lines etc etc to a file, how do i save the changes. example i do sort file > file when i do cat file, all data is erased. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies
CD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     CD(1)

NAME
cd -- change working directory SYNOPSIS
cd directory DESCRIPTION
Directory is an absolute or relative pathname which becomes the new working directory. The interpretation of a relative pathname by cd depends on the CDPATH environment variable (see below). ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of cd: CDPATH If the directory operand does not begin with a slash (/) character, and the first component is not dot (.) or dot-dot (..), cd searches for the directory relative to each directory named in the CDPATH variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current directory. If the new working directory was derived from CDPATH, it will be printed to the standard output. HOME If cd is invoked without arguments and the HOME environment variable exists and contains a directory name, that directory becomes the new working directory. See csh(1) for more information on environment variables. The cd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), sh(1), chdir(2) STANDARDS
The cd command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD