Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vim
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users vim Post 302254244 by Annihilannic on Tuesday 4th of November 2008 12:42:18 AM
Old 11-04-2008
:set ts=4 sw=4 will change the tabstop and shiftwidth distances

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Vim 7.0

I want to install VIM 7.0 from sunfreeware.com onto a server. The security guys are giving me a hard time because they found this security vulnerability. http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/6259 This vulnerability came out in 2001, and it looks like it was mostly for linux, but I cant be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to configure VIM ?

hi today i was working on AIX server and faced many problem while working with VIM. some issues were like configuring VIM where can i configure vim such as ruler was not displayed by default no hlsearch as well as when you try to execute prveious RE with up arrow its not working how to configure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim color

How can I change the color in Vim for *sh scripts for words which in brackets "words". In another words for string variables. As I know id depends on /usr/share/vim/vim71/syntax/sh.vim. But I can not find where exactly. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some help with vim

I use vim for writing code. I was using nano but found that vim is a much advanced editor. I am trying to achieve something like this: When trying a loop or a function, I generally type: function name() {} Now when I take my cursor one position to the left and press the return key, it give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About Vim

Hello, what is the maximum size of a file that we can open using vim. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
3 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Help with Vim

How do I use compilers and syntax highlighting in (g)Vim? Specifically, I need a Common Lisp compiler and a C++ compiler. Thanks in advance! (Note: Disregard my other topic.) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: led3234
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim - Question

Hi, I'm not sure whether this is the right place for my question. For scripting I use very often Vim because it's almost available on all unix stations. Sometimes it would be very helpful to exchange text inside Vim with other programs and the other way round! For example I want to copy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: climber
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

9. Linux

VI/VIM ERROR ^Z

Dear Unix user, I'm using putty 0.60 (on Windows Vista) to connect by ssh protocol to other Linux computer. I have a problem with VI/VIM. When I key button "n" or "b", it returns me n^Z or b^Z. What could the problem be?! Thanx a lot, Maria Elena (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesana
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vim :f

Can someone please tell me what this does? :f word I thought that was the way to save files with a different name but after a quick google search I saw it was like this. :w filename (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
Text::Tabs(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Text::Tabs(3pm)

NAME
Text::Tabs - expand and unexpand tabs like unix expand(1) and unexpand(1) SYNOPSIS
use Text::Tabs; $tabstop = 4; # default = 8 @lines_without_tabs = expand(@lines_with_tabs); @lines_with_tabs = unexpand(@lines_without_tabs); DESCRIPTION
Text::Tabs does most of what the unix utilities expand(1) and unexpand(1) do. Given a line with tabs in it, "expand" replaces those tabs with the appropriate number of spaces. Given a line with or without tabs in it, "unexpand" adds tabs when it can save bytes by doing so, like the "unexpand -a" command. Unlike the old unix utilities, this module correctly accounts for any Unicode combining characters (such as diacriticals) that may occur in each line for both expansion and unexpansion. These are overstrike characters that do not increment the logical position. Make sure you have the appropriate Unicode settings enabled. EXPORTS
The following are exported: expand unexpand $tabstop The $tabstop variable controls how many column positions apart each tabstop is. The default is 8. Please note that "local($tabstop)" doesn't do the right thing and if you want to use "local" to override $tabstop, you need to use "local($Text::Tabs::tabstop)". EXAMPLE
#!perl # unexpand -a use Text::Tabs; while (<>) { print unexpand $_; } Instead of the shell's "expand" comand, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print expand $_' Instead of the shell's "unexpand -a" command, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print unexpand $_' SUBVERSION
This module comes in two flavors: one for modern perls (5.10 and above) and one for ancient obsolete perls. The version for modern perls has support for Unicode. The version for old perls does not. You can tell which version you have installed by looking at $Text::Tabs::SUBVERSION: it is "old" for obsolete perls and "modern" for current perls. This man page is for the version for modern perls and so that's probably what you've got. BUGS
Text::Tabs handles only tabs (" ") and combining characters ("/pM/"). It doesn't count backwards for backspaces (" "), omit other non- printing control characters ("/pC/"), or otherwise deal with any other zero-, half-, and full-width characters. LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1996-2002,2005,2006 David Muir Sharnoff. Copyright (C) 2005 Aristotle Pagaltzis Copyright (C) 2012 Google, Inc. This module may be modified, used, copied, and redistributed at your own risk. Publicly redistributed modified versions must use a different name. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Text::Tabs(3pm)