Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swing and Unix
Top Forums Programming Swing and Unix Post 302254143 by nwboy74 on Monday 3rd of November 2008 06:25:07 PM
Old 11-03-2008
Perhaps my newbie status is showing through a bit much and I'm not explaining things correctly. The end user of my application is on a Windows XP pc. They connect to our UNIX machines via XManager, which runs X applications. We use xterm (/usr/bin/X11/xterm).

I am wanting to display a form to the user that will allow them to select certain files and then do some validation. The files are on the UNIX file-system, which they are accessing via xterm. When I try to start a java program that uses Swing, as soon as it tries to display the JFrame (I've also tried with AWT Frames), all open XManager xterm windows are disabled and lose borders, buttons, etc.

I've researched and found bits and pieces of people grumbling about the same thing, but no solution. It may be that Swing/AWT is just not compatible with our interface with UNIX. But I don't know what else to try.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

swing not getting initialized when the DISPLAY is not set

I have a batch programme which will load the Spreadsheet into database.. When the DISPLAY is set and X11 window server is running, there is no issue in reading the spreadsheet and loading into database without lauching UI. But if the display is not set, then there is an issue... Any ideas... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
3 Replies

2. Programming

Swing GUI hangs on Mac OS

Hi All, I have created a simple swing application, that has 3 textfields, and 2 buttons. When I try to run the code, following error comes and GUI hangs. 2011-01-21 22:32:39.905 java : Enabled 2011-01-21 22:32:39.908 java : Setting timeout for SWT to 0.100000 2011-01-21 22:32:40.589 java ***... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
0 Replies

3. Programming

Java Swing

Hi All, I am new to java swing. I want to develop a electronic schematic editor in java swing. An schematic editor is one where you can put all electronic components and join them to make a circuit. Its like drawing your circuit on paper. Here the paper would be like graph paper or grid which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diehard
1 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)