Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD FreeBSD - Kernel Queries/Issues Post 302254092 by drbabbers on Monday 3rd of November 2008 03:24:45 PM
Old 11-03-2008
I think I may have found a way to do this:

'The kernel does not boot:

If your new kernel does not boot, or fails to recognize your devices, do not panic! Fortunately, FreeBSD has an excellent mechanism for recovering from incompatible kernels. Simply choose the kernel you want to boot from at the FreeBSD boot loader. You can access this when the system boot menu appears. Select the “Escape to a loader prompt” option, number six. At the prompt, type unload kernel and then type boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel, or the filename of any other kernel that will boot properly. When reconfiguring a kernel, it is always a good idea to keep a kernel that is known to work on hand.'

Is this what I should do to get this current kernel set as the default? Or shall I just get a new copy of the GENERIC kernel and start again with the recompile? The reason I say this is that the GENERIC kernel has been broken.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

FreeBSD 4.7 X issues - assistance req'd please

question: i just installed FreeBSD 4.7 on my laptop, when i log in as root, i can startx no problem at all but when i try to start it as a user, i can't. otiginally it told me i needed to be a member of the group 'wheel' to do startx, no problem, added myself in /etc/group, but for some reason i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Calum
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

snort installation on freebsd issues

i'm following the, "How to setup and secure Snort, MySQL and Acid on FreeBSD 4.6 Release" off of the snort.org website. in the documentation it says snort should be installed through the following: ----- make -DWITH_MYSQL -DWITH_FLEXRESP ; make install ----- later it says to do the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some FreeBSD issues

I have been using Linux for 3 years now, and I think I am getting enough knowledge (and confidence) to try some more 'traditional' unix variants. I installed FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT. I have a couple of questions for the time being: 1) Frequently when I need to compile software packages they can't... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbkihong
16 Replies

4. BSD

Need help on Kernel Configuration for FreeBSD

Does anyone know how to enter the Kernel Configuration program in FreeBSD before installation to resolve conflicts of hardware?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enoch Chan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read freebsd kernel source?

I got the freebsd kernel source from the first install CD(in directory:\7.0-RELEASE\src\),isn't right? if so,how can i read it? Is there any tools? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhouq3132
4 Replies

6. Web Development

Using IP.Board on FreeBSD, having SQL/Apache Issues

Server: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE MYSQL Version: MYSQL 5.1.36 PHP Version: 5.2.10 (apache2handler) IP.Board Version: v3.0.2 Safe Mode: OFF For the most part previously IP.Board, forum software, has run fine without any issues. Regular web pages and .php pages seem to load fine without any issues.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dark Severance
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resolved: htpasswd issues (-b) on FreeBSD

I wrote a script to batch-create directories with .htaccess and .htpasswd files. I am using the following line to create the .htpasswd file: htpasswd -cb .htpasswd $USER $PASS However, I keep getting this message in return: Usage: htpasswd passwordfile username The -c flag creates a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
1 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD AMD NFS over TCP issues

Hi! I have a major issue with FreeBSD 7.1 i386. We did a change in our Unix env where we exchanged home storage from a NetAPP running udp to a NetAPP running tcp. Now I cant mount homedirs since NFS/AMD seem to fallback to udp :( Trying to force it with amd options nfs_proto=tcp and so on. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
0 Replies

9. AIX

Networking Issues - Opera, FreeBSD, AIX

(1) Hi, Am working on FreeBSD 7.4/i386 and installed Opera 11.01 through ports collection manually... But when I run first time am getting "opera: cannot connect X server. Error: Unknown error: 0" What is this error all about???? Please help me to sort out this issue!!! (2) Hi, currently am... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
12 Replies

10. BSD

FreeBSD DHCP wpa_supplicant Wi-Fi Issues

I just got FreeBSD up and running with an XFCE desktop on an old Gateway laptop. It works great, except the wireless setup is scaring me. I can connect to my home WiFi fine most of the time, but I'm concerned about other WiFi that I will need to connect to away from home. I understand that I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
1 Replies
IXGB(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   IXGB(4)

NAME
ixgb -- Intel(R) PRO/10GbE Ethernet driver for the FreeBSD operating system SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device ixgb Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_ixgb_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The ixgb driver provides support for PCI Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Intel 82597EX Ethernet controller chips. The driver supports Transmit/Receive checksum offload and Jumbo Frames. For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the documentation supplied with your Intel PRO/10GbE adapter. All hardware require- ments listed apply to use with FreeBSD. Support for Jumbo Frames is provided via the interface MTU setting. Selecting an MTU larger than 1500 bytes with the ifconfig(8) utility configures the adapter to receive and transmit Jumbo Frames. The maximum MTU size for Jumbo Frames is 16114. This driver version supports VLANs. For information on enabling VLANs, see ifconfig(8). HARDWARE
The ixgb driver supports the following cards: o Intel PRO/10GbE LR Server Adapter o Intel PRO/10GbE SR Server Adapter DIAGNOSTICS
ixgb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory A fatal initialization error has occurred. ixgb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: interrupt A fatal initialization error has occurred. ixgb%d: watchdog timeout -- resetting The device has stopped responding to the network, or there is a problem with the network connection (cable). SUPPORT
For general information and support, go to the Intel support website at: http://support.intel.com. If an issue is identified with the released source code on the supported kernel with a supported adapter, email the specific information related to the issue to <freebsd@intel.com>. SEE ALSO
arp(4), em(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), polling(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The ixgb device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.11 and FreeBSD 5.3. AUTHORS
The ixgb driver was written by Intel Corporation <freebsd@intel.com>. BSD
August 18, 2006 BSD