Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Number of Inode on a disk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Number of Inode on a disk Post 302254005 by jim mcnamara on Monday 3rd of November 2008 10:06:08 AM
Old 11-03-2008
Code:
# for your current working directory
df -i  .
# for the filesystem for /directory
df -i /directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to map a disk block to filename/ Inode

Hi, I want to find out a particular disk block belong to which file. in solaris 2.8 Can anyone help. Thanks and Regards Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Inode Number Not Unique

Hi, I know that inode for each file is unique, but is it the for the directory? So far I found different directories has the same inode nubmer when you do ls -i, could some one explain why? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
9 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inode number

as kernel keeps track of user activities on a file by its INODE number and I node table . what is the structure of Inode table. and where does this Inode table mapped into?user space or kernel space? is the Inode Number is fixed for a file till its deletion? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compbug
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find out pathname from inode number

Hi all when I execute pmap command on one of my daemon process, I am able to see the following output. Address Kbytes RSS Anon Locked Mode Mapped File 00010000 40 40 - - r-x-- irs026bmd 00028000 56 56 16 - rwx-- irs026bmd 00036000... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Recreating a deleted hardlink to a file if I know the inode number

At risk of twisting the rules to nearly the point of breaking (if you think this goes too far mods, I apologise and accept that this should be deleted), I'm hoping someone might be able to cast a little light on the following problem regarding hard links to files. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
6 Replies

6. AIX

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number?

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number. i can use the command "istat" to get the inode number of the file. # istat /proc//fd/x If this file has been deleted,but the process of this file has not been closed and handle has not been released ,so this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file without changing inode number

Hi all, I am struggling to change the content of a file without changing the inode number. The exact issue is as below. I have a file name test.bak which has 100 lines of text. I am trying to to delete the first 90 lines of the text in the file. I know that using sed/awk/head/tail I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathishkmrv
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file abc.log in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file get changes every time i update the file using vi editor. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never gets changed? Or if we cannot restrict from inode number getting changed , is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Retreive deleted file name if you having inode number

Some one please help me to find deleted file name, if I am having inode number in Solaris without using any 3rd party tool. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
3 Replies

10. Linux

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file a.txt in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file changes every time i update the file using vi editor , gedit etc. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never changes as that is supposed to be the expected behavior? Or if we cannot... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: srirammanohar
13 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-L | -P] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin pwd command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The options are as follows: -L Display the logical current working directory. -P Display the physical current working directory (all symbolic links resolved). If no options are specified, the -L option is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by pwd: PWD Logical current working directory. EXIT STATUS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) STANDARDS
The pwd utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster because it is built into that shell. However, it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a containing directory was moved after the shell descended into it. The -L option does not work unless the PWD environment variable is exported by the shell. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD