Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using todays date to create a report using grep Post 302253649 by muruganksk on Saturday 1st of November 2008 03:58:11 PM
Old 11-01-2008
Try this..

I am not having any problem in using this..

I created one txt file with two lines.

$ cat checking.txt
Date operation
Nov 02

Then executed the below commands

$ td=$(date '+%b %d')
$ $ grep "$td" checking.txt
Nov 02

Got the Output with two spaces in between.

So check whether the month are in caps in the files.

you know one thing, the below two commands give different results.

$ td=$(date '+%b %d')
$ echo "$td"
Nov 02

It has two spaces in-between

$ echo $td
Nov 02

It has one space in-between

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get yesterdays date given todays date

Hi Guys. I am very new to UNIX. I need to get yesterdays and tommorows date given todays date. Which command and syntax do i use in basic UNIX shell. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
2 Replies

2. Linux

Comparing the file drop date with todays date

Daily one file will dropped into this directory. Directory: /opt/app/jt/drop File name: XXXX_<timestamp>.dat.gz I need to write a script which checks whether the file is dropped daily or not. Any idea in the script how can we compare timestamp of the file to today's date?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajneel
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a string in todays file

Hello guys - I am new to Unix. I am trying to understand how to grep a perticular string in todays file? I am trying this syntax but not getting what I am looking for: % grep `date '+%d/%b/%Y'` For instance there are 2 files generated today with same data. I am trying to find them and... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: create a report with grep output?

Greetings. I need to generate a simple report via Bash (Korn?) with this raw data Test_Version=V2.5.2 Test_Version=V2.6.3 Test_Version=V2.4.7 Test_Version=V2.5.2 Test_Version=V2.5.2 Test_Version=V2.5.1 Test_Version=V2.5.0 Test_Version=V2.3.9 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script to execute todays date.

Hi Folks, I have created a script last month to retrive files thru FTP and cronjob was running fine till yesterday. But the naming convention of the daily file is Filename_<date>.xml where date is YYYYMMDD. But today i have received file name as Filename_20110232.xml :( Part of my Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sendhil.Kumaran
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files having todays date and hostname in its name.

Hello, I am quite new to unix/shell and want to write a script using bash which will process the files. Basically i want to search files having name as "date+hostname+somestring.out" i am using below variables and then will use them in find command :- TODAY_DATE=$('date +%d')... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apm
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Shell Script comparing todays date with Yesterday date from Sysdate

Hi, I want to compare today's date(DDMMYYYY) with yesterday(DDMMYYYY) from system date,if (today month = yesterday month) then execute alter query else do nothing. The above requirement i want in Shell script(KSH)... Can any one please help me? Double post, continued here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmsk1331
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make directory with todays date format

Not sure why this is not working. Please advice: #!/bin/sh DIR=`date +"%m-%d-%y"` echo $DIR ] && mkdir $DIR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in script to check file name with todays date

I am trying to include a snippet in my script to check if the file created is having today's date. eg: File name is : ABC.YYYYMMDD-nnn.log The script should check if 'YYYYMMDD' in the above file name matches with today's date. Can you please help me in achieving this. Thanks in advance!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran1112
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare two files of todays date and yesterday's date

hi all, How to compare two files whether they are same are not...? like i had my input files as 20141201_file.txt and 20141130_file2.txt how to compare the above files based on date .. like todays file and yesterdays file...? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
4 Replies
grep-changelog(1)					      General Commands Manual						 grep-changelog(1)

NAME
grep-changelog - print ChangeLog entries matching criteria SYNOPSIS
grep-changelog [options] [CHANGELOG...] DESCRIPTION
grep-changelog searches the named CHANGELOGs (by default files matching the regular expressions ChangeLog and ChangeLog.[0-9]+) for entries matching the specified criteria. At least one option or file must be specified. This program is distributed with GNU Emacs. OPTIONS
The program accepts unambiguous abbreviations for option names. --author=AUTHOR Print entries whose author matches regular expression AUTHOR. --text=TEXT Print entries whose text matches regular expression TEXT. --exclude=TEXT Exclude entries matching regular expression TEXT. --from-date=YYYY-MM-DD Only consider entries made on or after the given date. ChangeLog date entries not in the "YYYY-MM-DD" format are never matched. --to-date=YYYY-MM-DD Only consider entries made on or before the given date. --rcs-log Print output in a format suitable for RCS log entries. This format removes author lines, leading spaces, and file names. --with-date In RCS log format, print short dates. --reverse Show matches in reverse order. --version Display version information. --help Display basic usage information. COPYING
Copyright (C) 2008-2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this document provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this document under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this document into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be stated in a translation approved by the Free Software Foundation. grep-changelog(1)