Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Delete string without opening a file Post 302253618 by reborg on Saturday 1st of November 2008 10:10:31 AM
Old 11-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
Cant we do something like this?
sed -n -e '/<log logid="8423b5ae190810252359350480/1/1">/d' file.txt > file.txt
no, you can't. You'd overwrite you input source while reading it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete file without opening vi

hi there guys, wonder if any gurus can help me out on this one... try searching the past threads but cant find anything. i have this huge file but when i use vi to open it it gives me the following error: <"pmrepserver.txt""/var/tmp/Ex86200" There is not enough space in the file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a particular text without opening the file.

Hi, Could someone tell me how to delete a particular text inside an existing file without opening the file? e.g. I have a text file called mytext.txt which contains three lines of text below and I want to delete “ ;” and delete the second line “b ;” including the carriage return. a ; b ; c ;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help needed to delete some text without opening the file in unix

Hi To delete some text in 2 files in line1 ( not complete line) in unix without opening the files. For example: source file is like this <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a string pattern in a file and write back to the same file

I have a control file which looks like this LOAD DATA INFILE '/array/data/data_Finished_T5_col_change/home/oracle/emp.dat' PRESERVE BLANKS INTO TABLE SCOTT.EMP FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' TRAILING NULLCOLS (................. ..................) How can i edit the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mwrg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete selected string from a file?

awk '!(/^$/||/--/||/selected/||/^ *$/){print "A." $1 " <> B." $1 " or"}' infile my AWK out put is : A.KZ <> B.KZ or A.KZT <> B.KZT or A.KZ_Z <> B.KZ_Z or A.LH <> B.LH or A.MAN<> B.MAN or A.OBJEKT <> B.OBJECT or A.PAK <> B.PAK ; is there any way to controle AWK to not print the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for a string and delete it from the file

Hi , I am breaking my head from past one day ...to delete lines from a file which match to the string pattern.:wall: I am storing the search string in a variable and search if the file exists in the folder,if not delete that entry from the file. I am having problem to delete that line from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two string in two separate file and delete some line of file

Hi all i want to write program with shell script that able compare two file content and if one of lines of file have # at the first of string or nothing find same string in one of two file . remove the line in second file that have not the string in first file. for example: file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleh67
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a file without opening the file and delete last line?

I have file called "text". The contents are as below : aaa bbb ccc ddd eee ffff ddd hhhh iiii I want to read this file without opening and and delete the last line. How can it be done? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_hunter
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
trcs(1) 							   User Manuals 							   trcs(1)

NAME
trcs - convert text files from one codeset to other SYNOPSIS
trcs -C | -l | -h trcs [-s] [-f input-codeset ] [-t output-codeset ] [ file ]... DESCRIPTION
trcs is a program for translation of text files from one codeset to other. When exact translation is impossible it tries to make approxi- mations. For example pseudographic characters are approximated by ASCII characters in codesets that have no pseudographic characters and characters with diacritical marks are approximated by existing characters. If the option -s or --gen-script is given trcs will generate simple script that invokes tr(1) This is useful if you want to include this in your script or for faster conversion of many files. If none of -C, -s, -l, -h and their equivalents is given each file will be read assuming it is coded with codeset input-codeset On standard output it will be recoded so to use codeset output-codeset If there is no file given trcs will act as filter. Both input-codeset and out- put-codeset are case insensitive and default to `cp1251'. OPTIONS
-C, --copyright Display copying conditions and warranty information. -s, --gen-script Generates conversion script for given input and output encodings instead to convert text files. -l, --list List all known codesets with their aliases. -h, --help Display this help and exit. -f input-codeset, --from[=]input-codeset Codeset of the source. -f output-codeset, --to[=]output-codeset Codeset of the output. EXAMPLES
trcs -fcyrillic -t koi8-r letter.txt Convert letter.txt from ISO-8859-5 (cyrillic) to KOI8-R and output the result on standard output. trcs --from cp437 --to=mik --gen-script >ibm2mik Generates script ibm2mik for converting from CP437 to MIK. sh ibm2mik screen.txt Convert screen.txt from CP437 to MIK. Output the result on standard output. Without parameters ibm2mik acts as filter. AUTHOR
Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg>, <zinoviev@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> SEE ALSO
tr(1) Linux JUN 2000 trcs(1)