Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: count amount of accounts?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers count amount of accounts? Post 302253510 by jim mcnamara on Friday 31st of October 2008 09:53:16 PM
Old 10-31-2008
The /etc/passwd file keeps track of the accounts. One line per account. the wc -l command counts lines in a file.
Code:
wc -l /etc/passwd

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get amount of memory installed.

Hi! I'm not a UNIX fanatic but I like using it for the Oracle database since it's not stable in the Windows NT environment (what is?). Problem: Is there any command to show me the amount of installed physical-memory in the machine? Is there some other way to show the processes which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgholm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

amount of memory in my server

Hi all, is there any command that i can execute to find out the size of the harddisk and RAM on my server? Because i am not the SA, i do not have access to such infomation. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

d. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary

guys, I am new shelll scripting.. this a question on passt exam paper, I was trying to solve it , I can not. the question is as follow? a. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary group in a standard UNIX system which uses local... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gurmad
1 Replies

4. AIX

Fastest way to count big amount of files in sub directory

Hi, what happened is we want to count all the files in a directory and inside this directory got many folders and so take long time to count it. Already run for about few minutes but still not done. The command we use to count is find . -type f | wc -l Just wondering if there is any other... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to grep a certain amount of characters?

I have a file similar to the following filler filler filler car 6 mazda filler filler filler filler car civic honda car rav 4 toyota filler filler If i do a "grep -i car file.txt" the output would be car 6 mazda car civic honda car rav 4 toyota however, i want to have the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Amount of LUNs used for zpool

Hi folks, is there any rule or best practise for amount of LUNs user for zpool construction (from view of performance etc.)?? THX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sum of an amount columns

Hi Friends.. I'm completely new to Unix and I need to write a program / script to sum amount columns in a .DAT file by using a configuration file to read the position of the columns. Could someone pls. help me on how to proceed? I've never written a program to read a configuration file and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davinds
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max amount of parameter

Hello everyone, I am trying to write a ksh script to accept user amount of parameters. so far I have written the following but, when I run the script it gives me the "i" back instead of the parameter's value. can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thank you in advance:):) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joveini
9 Replies
BARRIER(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						     BARRIER(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_barrier - Blocks the calling process until all processes in a group have called it. SYNOPSIS
C int info = pvm_barrier( char *group, int count ) Fortran call pvmfbarrier( group, count, info ) PARAMETERS
group Character string group name. The group must exist and the calling process must be a member of the group. count Integer specifying the number of group members that must call pvm_barrier before they are all released. Though not required, count is expected to be the total number of members of the specified group. info Integer status code returned by the routine. Values less than zero indicate an error. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_barrier blocks the calling process until count members of the group have called pvm_barrier. The count argument is required because processes could be joining the given group after other processes have called pvm_barrier. Thus PVM doesn't know how many group members to wait for at any given instant. Although count can be set less, it is typically the total number of members of the group. So the logical function of the pvm_barrier call is to provide a group synchronization. During any given barrier call all participating group members must call barrier with the same count value. Once a given barrier has been successfully passed, pvm_barrier can be called again by the same group using the same group name. If pvm_barrier is successful, info will be 0. If some error occurs then info will be < 0. EXAMPLES
C: inum = pvm_joingroup( "worker" ); . . info = pvm_barrier( "worker", 5 ); Fortran: CALL PVMFJOINGROUP( "shakers", INUM ) COUNT = 10 CALL PVMFBARRIER( "shakers", COUNT, INFO ) ERRORS
These error conditions can be returned by pvm_barrier PvmSysErr pvmd was not started or has crashed. PvmBadParam giving a count < 1. PvmNoGroup giving a non-existent group name. PvmNotInGroup calling process is not in specified group. SEE ALSO
pvm_joingroup(3PVM) 30 August, 1993 BARRIER(3PVM)