Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search & Replace
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search & Replace Post 302253469 by glev2005 on Friday 31st of October 2008 04:40:31 PM
Old 10-31-2008
can't you just use:

sed 's/run_time: 09:30/run_time: "09:30"/g'

Wont that work?

I'm sorry, I realize after I re-read that the time is not going to always be the same throughout the document.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi search & replace functions

I'm trying to do a global search and replace in vi. I am trying to replace a string, call it "BOB" with a carriage return and can't seem to find a reference to it. Command syntax s%/BOB/???/g What would I substitute the "???" with? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: barnettdk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace

Is there any way we can achieve search & replace with awk? I could achieve the same with sed in following way - sed 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 But the same regex if I try with using awk following way, awk 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 it gives me Syntax error. I strongly believe I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & replace in variable

Can I use search & replace in any variable? Suppose I have one variable named var1 which holds value "abcabc" I need to search 'a' in var1 and want to replace with 'x' like 'xbcxbc'. Is it possible? Can you provide me an example? Malay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Search & Replace

Hey, I want to have a C program which, for an existing file supplied by the command line argument (E.g. File1.txt) replaces all the occurrences of the words: "We” or “we” by “I” “a” by “the” “A” by “The”. Then print the replaced file. All other characters of the file are to be left... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IwishIknewC
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with search & replace

I have a file that has some accent characters in it when viewed in some text editors, but when viewed in vi they come in as ~R and ~U. I need to make a script to remove these characters from the file, but have been unsuccessful. I am not sure how sed or awk, or something similar is viewing them,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcovert
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck with Search & Replace

Hi I'm trying to replace a string in the files ending with *.txt Unable to get the sed to do the job. any help would be appreciated :) I'm on SunOS #!/bin/bash startdirectory={$HOME}/pp_test searchterm="change" replaceterm="CHANGE" echo $searchterm echo $replaceterm for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqueue
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace question

Hi all, I have one question that hopefully isn't too complicated for the more advanced users here. In one of the Solaris KSH scripts I'm working on, is it possible to script the following: - If there "is" an empty blank line "at the end" of /tmp/text.txt, then remove only that one empty... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & replace pattern

Hi, My problem is that I have to search a changing pattern and replace it with the wild card char "*" i/p: 99_*_YYYYMMDD_SRC.txt.tar.gz o/p: 99_*_*_SRC.txt.tar.gz The problem is that YYYYMMDD pattern is not static. It could be YYYYMMDDHHMI or could be YYYYMMDDHHMISS. Can... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi all Please can you help me with a script to check several files for the following string: encoding=""and replace it with: encoding="UTF-8"I did the following, : #!/bin/sh string1="encoding=""" string2="encoding="UTF-8" sed 's/'"$string1"'/'"$string2"'/g'but does not work. Please can... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi Gurus, I have two files. I want to read sessoin_name from the file1 and replace $Param4 & $Param5 in file2 with connection_name in specified in file1. The file1 will have data in following format File 1 session_name,connection_name s_abcd,Listener_2 s_def,Listener_1 source file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
7 Replies
WRJPGCOM(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WRJPGCOM(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [ -replace ] [ -comment text ] [ -cfile name ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG/JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG/JFIF file on standard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard doesn't actually define what COM blocks are for, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This lets you add annotations, titles, index terms, etc to your JPEG files, and later retrieve them as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have as many of them as you like in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks; but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
Switch names may be abbreviated, and are not case sensitive. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. -comment text Supply text for new COM block on command line. -cfile name Read text for new COM block from named file. If you have only one line of comment text to add, you can provide it on the command line with -comment. The comment text must be sur- rounded with quotes so that it is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you give neither -comment nor -cfile, then wrjpgcom will read the comment text from standard input. (In this case an input image file name MUST be supplied, so that the source JPEG file comes from somewhere else.) You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB worth. Type an end-of-file indicator (usually control-D) to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom will not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore -replace -comment "" can be used to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Add a short comment to in.jpg, producing out.jpg: wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Attach a long comment previously stored in comment.txt: wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or equivalently wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) AUTHOR
Independent JPEG Group 15 June 1995 WRJPGCOM(1)