Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu how to mount /home on NIS client machine Post 302253324 by jacco on Friday 31st of October 2008 10:42:28 AM
Old 10-31-2008
1. Export the /home directory on the NFS-server (/etc/exports)
2. Mount this on the client
mount nfsserveripaddress:/home /home

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Use AIX as NIS client

Hi everyone. Has anyone here used AIX as a NIS client to a Linux server? If have configured this setup and cant get it to work. I have verifyed that the NIS server is working since other machines are able to connect to it and users to log in on other clients. On the AIX machine the users are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
0 Replies

2. AIX

AIX NIS client

All, I have just started using AIX (Solaris admin here) and I need to setup my new AIX box as an NIS client. Where would I do this? Thanks for the help! -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

4. Solaris

NIS - Client Not loggin in

Friends n Gurus I am creating an NIS farm(Solaris only) in my office. I have successfully configured the NIS master and slave servers and a few NIS clients. However i am not able to log into a few of my NIS clients. The commands "ypcat passwd" is displaying the NIS user. However when i try to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
5 Replies

5. Solaris

NIS Client issues

Hey All! Today I am getting an error with my NIS client From what I understand, my server is running properly... on my client side.. online 2:01:12 svc:/network/nis/client:default # ps -ef |grep ypbind root 2745 1 0 02:01:12 ? 0:00... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 NIS Client

Hi all, Recently i have implemented NIS functionality in solaris 10 and i have created server and client with user in server side by giving useradd -d /export/home/user1 -m -s /bin/sh user1 after that I went to /var/yp dir and give /usr/ccs/bin/make so that it will refelect to client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esungoe
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Can't see home folder on one NFS mount but can in another mount on another share

Hello, I have a few Ubuntu 9.10 laptops I'm trying to learn NFS sharing with. I am just experimenting on this right now, so no harsh words about the security of what I'm playing with, please ;) Below are the configs /etc/exports on host /home/woodnt/Homeschool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with NIS client

Hi All, I have a new server on the network, I did configure the NIS. ypwhich is working and ypcat all are working. But when I log in as me, home directory is not coming up. I looked at other servers we have at work to see what's under /etc/fstab. I don't see anything for home directory. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

9. Linux

Unable to connect to Server machine from a client machine using ftp service

Hi, Could you please help me with the below issue.. I'm running RHEL6 OS on both server (192.168.0.10) and client machines (192.168.0.1). I'm trying to connect to server from the client machine using ftp service. I have installed vsftpd daemon on both the machines. I'm getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
4 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

NIS created users without a home directory

Hi all, So I have created two Centos machines. One is configured as a NIS master and the second is a NIS cleint. The NIS configs are all working perfectly. I created a user nisuser on NIS Master and I can use it on the client. BUT it doesnt show a home directory . Ive been told there is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
9 Replies
info(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   info(4)

NAME
info - diskless client configuration information file DESCRIPTION
The file is a POSIX shell sourceable file which contains parameter definitions used at boot time. Typically, it will be an empty file and default values will be used for all parameters. Following is the list of parameters which can be defined in the file: Specifies the IP address of the client's private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root server defaults to the boot server. Specifies the pathname to the client's private root on the private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root path defaults to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's private root from the private root server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's directory from the boot server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies whether NFS should be configured as primary swap. (NOTE: In order to swap to NFS, a diskless kernel must be configured with tunable parameter set to 1.) If a diskless machine has a local swap disk and swap to NFS is not desired, the parameter should be set to the value of 1 and the diskless kernel should be configured without setting to 1. If this parameter is not specified in the file and the kernel tunable parameter is set to 1, then NFS will be configured as primary swap. If not set, this parameter defaults to a value of 1, and results in the removal of all swapfiles above the configured swap minimum (swap is specified in the client's when a disk- less client boots. This ensures that extraneous swapfiles at boot time are removed, thus freeing disk space. If is set to 0 in the file, removal of extra swapfiles is disabled. This may result in faster boot times due to the time savings in creating additional swap files. The file resides in the same directory as the client's kernel () on the boot server and is retrieved at boot time using command. By default, when a diskless client is created, an empty file is placed in the client's kernel directory. This ensures that all parameters revert to their default values (see above). If the file is not present, this is an error. EXAMPLES
An example file is shown below: FILES
info(4)