Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux problem with kernel module loading Post 302253116 by iamjayanth on Friday 31st of October 2008 03:45:43 AM
Old 10-31-2008
problem with kernel module loading

Hi masters,

I am new to linux and unix forum and this is my first forum. So please excuse if
I am not giving sufficient information. I will give them on request.
I have created a bandwidth manager module. I am using a 2.6.9 kernel and in Red Hat 3.4.3 distribution. But when i run make following warnings are displayed with zero error.

*** Warning: "__fixsfsi" [/root/bandwidth_management/kqos.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "__mulsf3" [/root/bandwidth_management/kqos.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "__divsf3" [/root/bandwidth_management/kqos.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "__addsf3" [/root/bandwidth_management/kqos.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "__floatsisf" [/root/bandwidth_management/kqos.ko] undefined!

Since no errors are there i insmod the module using insmod kqos.ko but it failed with an error
error inserting 'kqos.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

I gave dmesg and it also gave error(my module name is kqos)

kqos: Unknown symbol __divsf3
kqos: Unknown symbol __fixsfsi
kqos: Unknown symbol __floatsisf
kqos: Unknown symbol __mulsf3
kqos: Unknown symbol __addsf3

I tried it on the google and from some forum I got the feeling that(I am not sure) these symbols are related with some floating point operations which are not allowed inside the kernel. I am sure that there is no floating point operation in the module code .Can anyone tell me what can i do correct this error. Thanking you in advance......

Also if anyone can tell me where can i get any good documents (pdf or html or doc )on kernel threads and NPTL and kernel thread programming . I already have the following documents titled "The Native POSIX Thread Library for Linux". I am looking for another document.
Thanking you again...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Dynamically loading a module

Hi there: Thanks for clicking in first. I have a question here. I have a module that needs to be dynamically loaded when another piece of code needs it at runtime. I know that I will have to make a soname file before I can use it dynamically. My question is what commad I should use to make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanhu
2 Replies

2. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Problem with kernel-module-ntfs

Hi All Im trying to access the my windows XP NTFS from Redhat linux 4.0 Enterprise edition I have downloaded the respective rpm And im able to install it successfully Then i have given the following command , but got an error Here are my partitions And when i give the below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balumankala
1 Replies

4. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel module compilation problem

I have one big module 2.6.18 kernel mod.c I want to divide this to several files. The problem is to write right Makefile lib1.h lib1.c mod.c mod.c works fine normally but when I divide into several files and try to compile with this makefile obj-m := mod.o mod-objs := lib1.o ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcintom
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Error loading module.

Hi, I have a strange issue in my script. When script is run from command prompt it runs fine,but when run from cron it exist with error message. I narrowed down the issue and found that " use Mail::Sender;" is the culprit. If I comment the statment the code runs fine in both command and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Loading Kernel module at boot

Is there any link/tutorial on loading Solaris kernel modules at boot time?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisolin
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem loading cpufreq module

I'd like to install cpufreq modules on my server . I tried sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq but got the error FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5xen/kernel/arch/x86_64/kernel/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device cat /proc/cpuinfo gives this ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
11 Replies

9. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

10. Fedora

Nvidia Module Not Loading (Desktop Gone)

Well, I followed the steps in the Debian wiki here to install the drivers for the following video card: $ lspci | grep VGA 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 (rev a1)I confirmed the correct driver is installed. As you probably see I've tried this a few times and a few... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Azrael
1 Replies
LINUX(4)                                                   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                   LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD February 8, 2010 BSD