Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting merging fields from 2 different files. Post 302252991 by Annihilannic on Thursday 30th of October 2008 09:31:40 PM
Old 10-30-2008
Try this:

Code:
awk '
        # when FNR==NR it means we are processing the first input file,
        # in this case file2
        NR==FNR {
                # store file2 information in an array indexed by a key
                # made up of the two fields we are interested in
                file2[$1,$3]=$4
                next
        }
        # processing the second (or subsequent) files, in this case file1
        {
                # only want to append file2 data if $3 is 1, 3 or 4
                if ($3 == 1 || $3 == 3 || $3 == 4)
                        print $0,file2[$3,$1]
                else
                        print $0
        }
' file2 file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two files

Friends, os: redhat enterprise linux/SCO UNIX5.0 I have two files and I would like to merge on given key value. Now I have tried with join commd but it does not supporte multiple delimiters. and if records length is not fixed. join -a1 5 -a2 1 -t -o file1 file2 > outname Can any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging fields --- Help me plz

INPUT have a file with 2 columns. evry set in a column ends with a symbol //. the first one with something like chr, chr no, chromosome name, cell no. cell no. etc and the second column has values belong to the first columnlike chr Xy, 22, 345,22222 etc. Some clumns have repeated but not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogu0001
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging fields --- Join is not working

Hi GUYS sorry for putting simple query. I have tried the methods posted previously in this site but I'm unable to join the similar values in different columns of different files. I used sort -u file1 and join but no use.?? I'm attaching my inputfiles.Plz chek them I have two files. 1st file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files by comparing three fields

Hi Experts, I need your timely help. I have a problem with merging two files. Here my situation : Here I have to compare first three fields from FILE1 with FILE2. If they are equal, I have to append the remaining values from FILE2 with FILE1 to create the output. FILE1: Class ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hunter85
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files with same name

Hello all, I have limited experience in shell scripting. Here goes my question: I have two directories that have same number of files with same file names i.e. consider 2 directories A and B. Both directories have files 1.txt, 2.txt...... I need to merge the file 1.txt of A with file 1.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add fields in different files only if some fields between them match

Hi everybody (first time posting here) I have a file1 that looks like > 1,101,0.1,0.1 1,26,0.1,0.1 1,3,0.1,0.1 1,97,0.5,0.5 1,98,8.1,0.218919 1,99,6.2,0.248 2,101,0.1,0.1 2,24,3.1,0.147619 2,25,23.5,0.559524 2,26,34,0.723404with 762 lines.. I have another 'similar' file2 > ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: murpholinox
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging CSV fields based on a common field

Hi List, I have two files. File1 contains all of the data I require to be processed, and I need to add another field to this data by matching a common field in File2 and appending a corresponding field to the data in File1 based on the match... So: File 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landossa
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and Merging csv data fields based on a common field

Dear List, I have a file of csv data which has a different line per compliance check per host. I do not want any omissions from this csv data file which looks like this: date,hostname,status,color,check 02-03-2012,COMP1,FAIL,Yellow,auth_pass_change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging fields in CSV

Hi experts, I have a csv file which has one field (ID) repeated multiple times with corresponding other field values. I need to convert this file in a format where for a ID all other values has to be present in single field. For Eg : Here in below file ID 1 is repeated 3 times with different... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathbangalor
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)