Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there any better way for sorting in bash/awk Post 302252988 by ahjiefreak on Thursday 30th of October 2008 09:23:05 PM
Old 10-30-2008
Is there any better way for sorting in bash/awk

Hi,

I have a file which is:-

1 6 4 8 2 3
2 1 9 3 2 1
3 3 5 6 3 1
4 9 7 8 2 3

I would like to sort from field $2 to field $6 for each of the line to:-

1 2 3 4 6 8
2 1 1 2 3 9
3 1 3 3 5 6
4 2 3 7 8 9

I came across this Arrays on example 26-6. But it is much complicated. I am looking any better way to perform the above. For your information the information which I printed out at the first stage (before sort) is using bash.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sorting

Hi, I have used the following code to sort two sets of data: awk '{printf "%10s %s\n",$1,$2}' The first column is text and the second involves numbers. I was just wondering how i would go about sorting the second number so that they ascend from the top? Thanks for any help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaken
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting in awk

i have following file have following type of data 1~%%~fcashfafh~%%~9797 can i sort(numeric) the file on first field and then on last feild using awk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK, sorting-if and print help.

Little-bit of awk experience, need some of the expert help on here. Browsed around here, got a little further, but I am still missing some pieces. Can you help me fill-in my missing awk cells? Sample data file (leaving out ","'s): Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: boolean2222
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting with sed,awk ...

I need to sort this input using sed, awk or any other tool to give below output Input: RXOCF-8 CLASS 2A 57 RU 40 RXORX-8-0 CLASS 1B 23 45 16 RXORX-8-1 EXTERNAL CLASS 2A (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting inside awk

I have an array with five columns and i want to write it to a file. Before writing it i must sort it using the field in the fifth column. _________________________________________ |field 1|field 2|field 3|field 4|field 5| | | | | | | | | | |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beatblaster666
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/GREP sorting help

hi everyone, I am kind of new to this forum. I need help in sorting this data out accordingly, I am actually doing a traceroute application and wants my AS path displayed in front of my address like this; 192.168.1.1 AS28513 AS65534 AS5089 AS5089 .... till the last AS number and if possible sort... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam127
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a .csv using awk or other

Hello all, I am new here and *relatively* new to Unix. I have a bit of an emergency. I have a three column file that I need to sort: sample name, miRNA, reads per million (RPM) There are multiple samples, and for each sample name there are multiple miRNAs and associated RPMs. Some of these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunnybocter
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting within a record using AWK

Hello, I have a file which has the following format: I have to do is sort individual records in the file based on the 4th field. Each record starts with "Module". Is there an easy way to do this using awk. I have tried piping output from awk to sort and also using "sort" inside awk but... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifteate
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive File Renaming & Natural Sorting (Bash)

NB! I have already started a thread on this subject on ComputerHope (with the thread title "Recursive File Renaming & Logical Sorting"). However, on ComputerHope they are perhaps more specialized in Windows Command Prompt, and not that much in shell scripts for Bash (I guess). I have a bulk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JewzeyfGhewbelz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk sorting with different values

Hello, I have a file as follows: BTA Pos KLD 4 79.7011 5.7711028907 4 79.6231 5.7083918219 5 20.9112 4.5559494707 5 58.0002 3.4423546273 6 38.2569 4.7108176788 6 18.3889 7.3631759258 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Homa
1 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD