Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot up detection for linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users boot up detection for linux Post 302252779 by benefactr on Thursday 30th of October 2008 09:53:07 AM
Old 10-30-2008
boot up detection for linux

Hello,
I was wondering is there a specific process I could look for to tell if my suse linux machine is still booting up. I have a monitor process and it's detecting problems with processes because I think the machine is still booting up and has yet to start everything up. Thanks for any help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP/Linux dual boot

Does anyone have any idea how I can manage an XP/Linux dual boot (I want to use debian), I can't find anything about it on the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XDC_Wolf
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

3. Linux

boot cd linux HOWTO?

i have linux bootable cd. I want similar bootalbe cd with some chnage in the disk. i.e, some file from the old cd has to replaced in newer one. how do i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
3 Replies

4. Linux

linux 2.4 boot up sequence

I am running linux red hat and I need to know the command to view the boot up process.... (that is the driver initialization, drive mount, etc).... Does anyone know this command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Franco
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux won't boot

I'm trying to install Fedora 9 on a Dell OptiPlex GX300 machine. The instalation runs properly, but when the computer restarts after the instalation, it simply won't boot, like there's no OS installed. I tried diffrent Linux distributions, but nothing works. This are the partitions, maybe it's... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teis
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need bash script Intrusion Detection on Linux

Hello all I have a script but I failed on the creation of Script is any is carried out in the shell sends the owner of the server, the message is has been implemented For example, functioned as a detection system intruders but in smaller Is it possible to help if you allow I want the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
4 Replies

7. Programming

Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection

Hey, for the purpose of a research project I need to know if a specific type of parallel processing is being utilized by any user-run programs. Is there a way to detect whether a program either returns a value to another program at the end of execution, or just utilizes any form of parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
4 Replies

8. News, Links, Events and Announcements

MS to block linux boot

Microsoft to stop Linux, older Windows, from running on Windows 8 PCs | ZDNet isn't that deserve an anti trust investigation? MS monopoly is transfer into the hardware. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux Boot Process

Explain Linux Boot Process??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejaschache
1 Replies
STARTPAR(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       STARTPAR(8)

NAME
startpar - start runlevel scripts in parallel SYNOPSIS
startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] [-a arg] prg1 prg2 ... startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] -M [ boot|start|stop] DESCRIPTION
startpar is used to run multiple run-level scripts in parallel. The degree of parallelism on one CPU can be set with the -p option, the default is full parallelism. An argument to all of the scripts can be provided with the -a option. Processes blocked by pending I/O will cause new process creation to be weighted by the iorate factor 800. To change this factor the option -i can be used to specify another value. The amount weight=(nblockedxiorate)/1000 will be subtracted from the total number of processes which could be started, where nblocked is the number of processes currently blocked by pending I/O. The output of each script is buffered and written when the script exits, so output lines of different scripts won't mix. You can modify this behaviour by setting a timeout. The timeout set with the -t option is used as buffer timeout. If the output buffer of a script is not empty and the last output was timeout seconds ago, startpar will flush the buffer. The -T option timeout works more globally. If no output is printed for more than global_timeout seconds, startpar will flush the buffer of the script with the oldest output. Afterwards it will only print output of this script until it is finished. The -M option switches startpar into a make(1) like behaviour. This option takes three different arguments: boot, start, and stop for reading .depend.boot or .depend.start or .depend.stop respectively in the directory /etc/init.d/. By scanning the boot and runlevel direc- tories in /etc/init.d/ it then executes the appropriate scripts in parallel. FILES
/etc/init.d/.depend.boot /etc/init.d/.depend.start /etc/init.d/.depend.stop SEE ALSO
init(8) insserv(8). COPYRIGHT
2003,2004 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2007 SuSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> Jun 2003 STARTPAR(8)